Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,768,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Don't think so. What has happened is people have given too much emphasis on being "Politically" or "Socially" correct, and overlook the newer style of child rearing, which more and more people have accepted as the way to raise their children. They view them as equals and let them express themselves with no fear of consequences or discipline. If they want to write on walls with a crayon, they are allowed to. If they want to act out in public, they try and reason with the child, on an adult level, and make excuses instead of teaching the child. In this case, the Mom felt entitled to let the child act out because he had a medical problem.

Society may be getting more Hostile, but its at the Parents who have an "I" and "Me" syndrome.
The child wasn't acting out. The child was giggling at the movie. The medical problem just made her child's giggles sound different. Some a-hole felt entitled to yell at the mom because her child had a medical problem, and she didn't keep "it" hidden from view where "it" wouldn't make anyone feel uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,534,097 times
The child 'wasn't giggling at the movie' because he couldn't understand the movie which was Tomorrowland.
The child may have been acting the way a 20 month old child would react the fact remains, he was too young (along with her two year old and quite possibly her nine year old child) to see this particular movie.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM

11,829 posts, read 12,091,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The child wasn't acting out. The child was giggling at the movie. The medical problem just made her child's giggles sound different. Some a-hole felt entitled to yell at the mom because her child had a medical problem, and she didn't keep "it" hidden from view where "it" wouldn't make anyone feel uncomfortable.
I didn't realize you were there and could determine that the man was yelling about a child's medical issues in a darkened theatre. Fascinating.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,029,695 times
Quote:
Why you would choose to call a child "it" is beyond me, even to make a point.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,081,160 times
Quote:

The mom has a video of her son laughing in the article. I didn't think the laugh sounded much different than any other toddler's laugh.

The child having a medical problem wasn't the issue. The issue was that the mom took her 20 month old son to a movie that wasn't geared towards toddlers and was laughing throughout a movie that is not a comedy.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,048,682 times
Quote:
The medical problem is irrelevant. A 20 month old child, regardless of a prior brain cancer diagnosis, cannot comprehend that one needs to be reasonably quiet and respectful of others in a theater. A 20 month old child probably does not even care about, nor understand, the movie being played in the dark room as he/she is forced to stay seated and do nothing (ideally) but watch it quietly for 2 hours. A 20 month old child is too young for a movie theater, unless it is a special kids showing like others have earlier mentioned their movie theaters do just for parents with children, even if that child is perfectly healthy. This was not a special "please bring your baby to the movie theater for a special young kids/parent showing of this child-friendly movie." This was a normal showing and a disruptive baby should be removed or not taken at all in the first place.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:00 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,589,742 times
Quote:
People need to stop making excuses for other people who do stupid or rude things because they feel entitled to do as they want with no consideration of others. Doesn't matter how the child was acting. She had no business taking it there, and if the child was creating a problem, she should have been smart enough to remove herself and the child, since she seemed well aware of what the problem was.

If you care so much, go to her "Go Fund Me" page and throw her a few bucks for being rude and having no manners.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,854,768 times
Quote:
I thought about this whole thread/story when I was at a movie last night. Two hours long and I was the youngest person in the theater by about...30 years at least (im 28). A man coughed the entire time. Clearly from a medical condition. It wasn't a normal sounding cough either. And now I totally "get" where this guy came from when he yelled.

Last edited by LadyR1990; 06-07-2015 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I thought about this whole thread/story when I was at a movie last night. Two hours long and I was the youngest person in the theater by about...30 years at least (im 28). A man coughed the entire time. Clearly from a medical condition. It wasn't a normal sounding cough either. And now I totally "get" where this guy came from when he yelled.
This happened to me at a play.
The guy sitting behind us with his oxygen tank had this constant hissing noise and then he would do this deep bring-up-a-lung cough. Then he'd fall asleep and snore really loudly.

*SIGH*

Old 06-10-2015, 03:14 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Our society has become increasingly child hostile. Once upon a time, theaters had a "cry room" where parents could take a noisy child, listening to the movie over speakers and watching through a large glass window that decreased the noise for the general public. When was the last time a restaurant offered a high chair for your child? Parents with infants or toddlers are ostracized. That's just the way of the world nowadays.
Every. Single. Time. I. Have. Been. To. A. Restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting