Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On a recent afternoon I walked over to the pool operated by my Homeowners' Association. One of my neighbors has a pair of twin boys, about age 7. I was not wearing a shirt, as I was expecting to plunge right into the pool. No such luck, for other reasons. The children started screaming "there goes the naked man." On my return 30 minutes later, I had my t-shirt on. They again screamed "at least he's dressed this time."

Was I doing the appropriate thing to visit their father, and tell him I did not like being put in the position of having to respond to or discipline his children?
The kids are I'll mannered brats...you did nothing wrong. You spoke to their parent...now just let it go and ignore them.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Regarding their behavior as "hazing" rather than brushing it off as something snotty said by stupid kids is giving the stupid kids way too much power over you. Their testicles haven't even dropped. They're seven and still eat their boogers. You're a grown-up, they can't haze you.
In this day and age of political correctness, you simply don't know what will come to the attention of police or Child Protective Services. I have had some episodes that I have discussed here (link) which, while dismissed as "unfounded" came too close to the edge for my comfort. Because of those reports I must be pro-active.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:11 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
In this day and age of political correctness, you simply don't know what will come to the attention of police or Child Protective Services. I have had some episodes that I have discussed here (link) which, while dismissed as "unfounded" came too close to the edge for my comfort. Because of those reports I must be pro-active.
It would seem that a better way for you to be "pro-active" would be to always wear a shirt when walking to the pool.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
There are very few things I enjoy more than parading my hairy - bear chest pelt around the neighborhood, on a walk (or, for that matter, in my convertible). Far as I'm concerned, it's just as good a conversation starter as a cutsie little dog, but cleaner, and less trouble.

As for your case, I'd just ignore those kids. You realize, of course, they likely are reacting to something their parents (or some other adult) says about you that they have heard. Kids rarely think this stuff up on their own; and if they do its just benign "curiosity," and they get over it. I'd give that some thought. Somebody out there has coined you a weirdo or something (you do seem to like to start trouble, i.e., the twins' bikes next door - its none of your business).

IMO - That place sounds like a kid infested nightmare. Are you childless? If so you probably don't "belong" there. Just sayin.'

Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
On a recent afternoon I walked over to the pool operated by my Homeowners' Association. One of my neighbors has a pair of twin boys, about age 7. I was not wearing a shirt, as I was expecting to plunge right into the pool. No such luck, for other reasons. The children started screaming "there goes the naked man." On my return 30 minutes later, I had my t-shirt on. They again screamed "at least he's dressed this time."

Was I doing the appropriate thing to visit their father, and tell him I did not like being put in the position of having to respond to or discipline his children?
Were you shirtless for the entire walk over there, even if it was from your car, or did you unveil your magnificent body just prior to the plunge into said pool?

Old 07-02-2015, 01:54 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Shirtless man, should be no problem. Sheesh people.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:33 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Are you saying you confronted the dad??

Men are generally supposed to be shirtless when they swim in pools. Kids who comment aloud about other people's appearances are ill mannered.
Yes, Men are supposed to be SHIRTLESS, NOTHING WRONG there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You were not wrong to be shirtless in the pool. It was not your place to discipline someone else's children, and didn't warrant a visit to the dad.
That too. It is NOT really your place to discipline his/her children UNLESS they are in imminent immediate DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Regarding their behavior as "hazing" rather than brushing it off as something snotty said by stupid kids is giving the stupid kids way too much power over you. Their testicles haven't even dropped. They're seven and still eat their boogers. You're a grown-up, they can't haze you.
Exactly. THE children have OBVIOUSLY been taught by their parents that "naked men=bad man". I wouldn't call it "hazing"...they were just repeating what they are taught. YOUR best thing is to IGNORE it from the kids. I MIGHT have asked the parent at the time "is there anything wrong with a man swimming topless????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post

For example, my husband and sons would not walk over to the pool shirtless to begin with. Another example, we used to have a neighbor who did all of his yardwork and any other outside work, shirtless. To the point where we didn't recognize him in clothes. It was awkward, IMO, to have long neighborly chat with man who appears to be naked because his tummy obstructs the view of his shorts...
I used to be shirtless most of the summer {except downtown}. I mowed lawns shirtless, I "played" shirtless----and shoeless too {not with a lawnmower]. Perhaps the 60s, 70s for younger men were different...especially.I was Shirtless to cool off" in the summer heat, even when at the pool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The kids are I'll mannered brats...you did nothing wrong. You spoke to their parent...now just let it go and ignore them.
Exactly. You did and it is now over.

The kids apparently have sexually repressed parents who associate nudity with "badness". OR that "bad man" may try something bad {sexual} with them IF he takes a shirt off.

Just a GREAT thing the kids weren't at a nudist colony! there IS suach a thing as TOO MUCH modesty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It would seem that a better way for you to be "pro-active" would be to always wear a shirt when walking to the pool.
I DON'T think so..That would NOT be "pro-active", but reducing himself to the control of others who think a swimming man should have a T-shirt on...he's in his neighborhood, close to the pool, I think it is perfectly ALL RIGHT To walk shirtless to the pool, where the t-shirt will come off anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
There are very few things I enjoy more than parading my hairy - bear chest pelt around the neighborhood, on a walk (or, for that matter, in my convertible). Far as I'm concerned, it's just as good a conversation starter as a cutsie little dog, but cleaner, and less trouble.

As for your case, I'd just ignore those kids. You realize, of course, they likely are reacting to something their parents (or some other adult) says about you that they have heard.

IMO - That place sounds like a kid infested nightmare. Are you childless? If so you probably don't "belong" there. Just sayin.'
Parading your hairiness is NOT new. Many think only hairless men should parade. I don't anymore as I have a belly now as I aged.
AS for NOT going to the Home Owners Association provides {and taxes/fees he pays on it}, IS RIDICULOUS, unless they make him Possibly edgy about being there{IF he is childless OR his kids are grown}. If so, he needs to try to find times the kids are NOT THERE, to mitigate any such RIDICULOUS sensations from some paranoid parents.I am NOT saying there ISN'T reason to be secure with your kids, but lets get ridiculous!

ULTIMATELY:::
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Shirtless man, should be no problem. Sheesh people.
!!!

I FULLY AGREE!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:36 AM

761 posts, read 832,966 times
Sounds like a couple of mollycoddled brats that need the palm of a hand vigorously applied in a perpendicular fashion to the hind end...repeatedly. My mom would have cracked me one and then I would have had to sit quietly for an hour or so. But, in this day and age she would have been reported to CPS.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It was not your place to discipline someone else's children, and didn't warrant a visit to the dad.
Speak for yourself I guess - if my children were shouting things at people in such a way I would want to know about it myself - and in such a position I would have thanked the OP for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I wouldn't say "wrong", but my preference is for people to be clothed until just before they do whatever it is they needed to be in-clothed for.
Indeed - but I guess a lot of people do not recognize the difference between "my preference" and what other people should be doing. Whatever your preference may be as a person - no one else needs to pander to it - and there is nothing wrong with anything the OP has described. Zero wrong with being a shirtless human being.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:00 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
I don't know...

A lot of men seem to think every woman in revealing dress deserves to be catcalled...maybe this is just a male version of the same thing.

If the OP was a woman, most of you proudly shirtless men would say "don't like it? Cover up!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting