Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,798 times

Advertisements

I am 3 weeks away from my delivery date. As I lie right now in the ER hooked up to fetal monitor to check for decreased fetal movements, my mind is all over the place.
First thing that came to my mind is, if the hospital bag is ready. Thanks to all the wonderful responses I got here, it's ready and sitting in the car in the parking lot.

Second worry: my first born was an under weight baby. She was born 4 lbs. to bring her weight up, the doctors wanted me to supplement her with formula after every feed. By the time she was 3 months old, I wasn't getting any breast milk at all. This time, I really aim to exclusive breast feed. Can anyone please help me the ways to increase the supply naturally? Here is my list so far.

1. Get the baby to latch properly and make sure to keep offering the breast instead of formula.
2. Eat White bread dipped in warm milk (advise by my mom)
3. Include garlic in every day's diet (advise by my mom).
4. Include a can of Guinness beer everyday (advise by a friend who swears that worked).

I am planning on following all the above.

What else can I do to increase the supply? I can't wait for his birth now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
While you are there, ask for an appointment with the lactation consultant.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
While you are there, ask for an appointment with the lactation consultant.
We get one after the baby is born. Not much help though. At least during my first birth.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
I vaguely remember people suggesting taking fenogreek to me when I was having supply issues. Otherwise the best I can advise is to put him to your breast as often as possible, let him carry on suckling even when nothing is coming out as that will stimulate the supply to increase. And, even though it may seems nuts, if he starts sleeping longer early on - don't let him! Supply is best at night to begin with so lots of feeding at night time will stimulate your supply a lot.

How exciting that its so close!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I vaguely remember people suggesting taking fenogreek to me when I was having supply issues. Otherwise the best I can advise is to put him to your breast as often as possible, let him carry on suckling even when nothing is coming out as that will stimulate the supply to increase. And, even though it may seems nuts, if he starts sleeping longer early on - don't let him! Supply is best at night to begin with so lots of feeding at night time will stimulate your supply a lot.

How exciting that its so close!
Ya, I also heard that fenugreek can increase the supply. How did you take it? Soak a tbsp in water overnight and eat it the next day?
Thanks for reminding me of this!

Am excited and nervous.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Ya, I also heard that fenugreek can increase the supply. How did you take it? Soak a tbsp in water overnight and eat it the next day?
Thanks for reminding me of this!

Am excited and nervous.
Can't remember, I just remember it tasting a bit like curry.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
A can if Guinness???? Maybe to relax you.

Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Staying hydrated helps milk production.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,119,500 times
Drink enough water and eat right and pump each side for 10 minutes after your baby nurses.

The rest of your "suggestions" will only give your baby an upset stomach. It is ill advised to drink alcohol while nursing.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:04 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Fenugreek, and lots of it. Don't read the label where it says 1-2 daily. At some points, I was taking 5-6 pills each time I nursed so I could make more. It's all natural, so it can't hurt you. Start with 1-2 each time you nurse and then add more. For my second kid, I started the fenugreek while still in the hospital.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,332,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post

1. Get the baby to latch properly and make sure to keep offering the breast instead of formula.
2. Eat White bread dipped in warm milk (advise by my mom)
3. Include garlic in every day's diet (advise by my mom).
4. Include a can of Guinness beer everyday (advise by a friend who swears that worked).

I am planning on following all the above.

What else can I do to increase the supply? I can't wait for his birth now.
I'm not a doctor, but #2 sounds a bit like a wive's tale, same with #3.

Beer is proven to work, because of Hops are a galactogogue (something that increases milk production). However, PLEASE be mindful that the alcohol gets into the milk and can damage the babies liver so you have to be careful about timing. Google "Galactogogues" and you'll get a list of foods proven to increase milk. Fenugreek is one of the best and most powerful, but it is DANGEROUS during pregnancy, so wait until you give birth. There is also a tea called "mother's milk" tea that you can get at most grocery stores. It works so well for me that if I take it before bed, I wake up full and leaking before morning. If I skip the tea, I don't.

The honest BEST way to produce more milk is to nurse often, often, often, often. You can't force feed baby, but you can get a pump and pump once a day, right AFTER she feeds. That will mean she'll get all the milk she needs, and then the pump will make your body think you need to produce MORE milk. Do that for a few days, and then try it twice a day for a few days, and then maybe 3x a day. Don't start off too frequently because it can cause horrifically painful engorgement. Some women think that pumping before birth will make your milk come in faster, but it can also trigger labor, so BE CAREFUL and ask your doctor.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. If you produce ten ounces of milk, it takes way more than ten ounces of water. You have to drink all the water you need, plus enough for milk. WATER, WATER, WATER. If you're dehydrated at all, milk will be limited as there isn't any resource to make milk. Same with protein. Make sure you eat right so you have the resources to spare to milk milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting