Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:18 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Fenugreek, and lots of it. Don't read the label where it says 1-2 daily. At some points, I was taking 5-6 pills each time I nursed so I could make more. It's all natural, so it can't hurt you. Start with 1-2 each time you nurse and then add more. For my second kid, I started the fenugreek while still in the hospital.
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Too much Fenugreek can cause diarrhea, stomach upset, bloating, gas, and a “maple syrup” odor in urine. Fenugreek can cause nasal congestion, coughing, wheezing, facial swelling, and severe allergic reactions in hypersensitive people. Fenugreek might lower blood sugar. It can actually cause an unsafe drop in blood sugar. It can also cause gas, colic, diarrhea and heartburn in the infant if you take too much. It can affect your thyroid and act as an anticoagulant. It is very dangerous in high doses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 11:22 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm not a doctor, but #2 sounds a bit like a wive's tale, same with #3.

Beer is proven to work, because of Hops are a galactogogue (something that increases milk production). However, PLEASE be mindful that the alcohol gets into the milk and can damage the babies liver so you have to be careful about timing. Google "Galactogogues" and you'll get a list of foods proven to increase milk. Fenugreek is one of the best and most powerful, but it is DANGEROUS during pregnancy, so wait until you give birth. There is also a tea called "mother's milk" tea that you can get at most grocery stores. It works so well for me that if I take it before bed, I wake up full and leaking before morning. If I skip the tea, I don't.

The honest BEST way to produce more milk is to nurse often, often, often, often. You can't force feed baby, but you can get a pump and pump once a day, right AFTER she feeds. That will mean she'll get all the milk she needs, and then the pump will make your body think you need to produce MORE milk. Do that for a few days, and then try it twice a day for a few days, and then maybe 3x a day. Don't start off too frequently because it can cause horrifically painful engorgement. Some women think that pumping before birth will make your milk come in faster, but it can also trigger labor, so BE CAREFUL and ask your doctor.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. If you produce ten ounces of milk, it takes way more than ten ounces of water. You have to drink all the water you need, plus enough for milk. WATER, WATER, WATER. If you're dehydrated at all, milk will be limited as there isn't any resource to make milk. Same with protein. Make sure you eat right so you have the resources to spare to milk milk.

^^This. I pumped when my daughter wasn't feeding and I found hot showers helped with engorgement but you have to be careful that the breasts don't over engorge if you're not going to pump immediately as the pain becomes quite uncomforable. That worked for me...ymmv.

OP, congratulations and I wish you a safe and speedy delivery!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:32 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Too much Fenugreek can cause diarrhea, stomach upset, bloating, gas, and a “maple syrup” odor in urine. Fenugreek can cause nasal congestion, coughing, wheezing, facial swelling, and severe allergic reactions in hypersensitive people. Fenugreek might lower blood sugar. It can actually cause an unsafe drop in blood sugar. It can also cause gas, colic, diarrhea and heartburn in the infant if you take too much. It can affect your thyroid and act as an anticoagulant. It is very dangerous in high doses.
I think/know you're exaggerating. Even the nurses and the doctor at the hospital said it was a good idea to start on day 1. Even my kids' pediatrician knew I was taking Fenugreek and she was all for it. You might have had a bad experience, but so many people I know also used Fenugreek and no one had what you described. And who cares about maple syrup smells. Do you eat asparagus? You're urine smells way worse after that stuff.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:14 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,083 times
I just read this article a few days ago. Hopefully it will help with latching which should help with production.

Many Moms May Have Been Taught to Breastfeed Incorrectly: Surprising New Research - Mothering

You can also order or make cookies. Just Google lactation cookies.

Lastly just nurse a lot; be the baby's pacifier. Cosleeping is awesome (for many reasons) because as mentioned, night time is when you build your supply and the baby can stay attached and suckle pretty much all night.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Nurse a lot. Don't worry about putting your baby on a schedule, just nurse her every time she cries. I used to feel like a cow sitting on the couch with my calf attached, but I had a great milk supply!

Good luck with everything.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Ya, I also heard that fenugreek can increase the supply. How did you take it? Soak a tbsp in water overnight and eat it the next day?
Thanks for reminding me of this!

Am excited and nervous.
Can the herb fenugreek increase a mom's milk supply? | BabyCenter

Quote:
You can buy fenugreek capsules containing ground seeds at most health food stores. The capsules of brands I am aware of contain either 580 or 610 mgs of the spice in each. A bottle of a hundred capsules costs around seven or eight dollars. Although some brands recommend that you take one capsule three times a day, this dosage is too low to adequately improve milk production. In our clinic, we recommend two or three capsules three times a day. You may also drink fenugreek tea, but it has an unpleasant bitter taste and is not considered as potent as taking the herb directly.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:23 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
Default La Leche League

Contact this group. They will help you and you won't have to wait until after you deliver. They are breast feeding fanatics and will do anything they can to help you and to promote breast feeding. Don't take supplements and don't drink that beer!

LLLI | Find La Leche League Groups in the U.S.

Also, I do not recommend co-sleeping as another poster advised, but you need to make your own choice about that. Just make sure it is a well informed decision, because many infant deaths have been attributed to it. At least research it for yourself before you decide to do it. I would never.

Last edited by vrexy; 07-24-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,112 times
My first baby I never made enough milk and had to supplement her entire infancy.

My second baby I was able to start making enough milk after a few weeks, and was even able to pump extra and freeze some. This is how I did it.

Get a Medela Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) and bring it with you to the hospital. It's a device that has a little bottle you put formula in, but instead of a nipple, there is a long thin tube. You tape the tube right next to your nipple, and when your baby nurses, they get formula, while at the same time they are inducing your biological response to create more milk.

So when you start to nurse, this is how you do it. First, you attempt to nurse like normal, let baby get all the milk out of you that is possible. When baby starts to get very fussy from hunger and you are already empty, then put on the SNS and let baby continue to nurse while actually drinking formula to fill her little belly. Then, when baby is done, pump some more like PP said, a few times a day. Also, I wouldn't recommend nursing on a "schedule" of 10 minutes every 2 hours or whatever is "advised". With my second baby, I nursed whenever baby would latch on, and for as long as he would go. Just sit on the couch, pop baby on, turn on some Netflix, and relax (and make sure you have that water bottle sitting next to you!)

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,112 times
Oh also go to the website Kellymom.com. It has all the info you could want about breastfeeding and more.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM

509 posts, read 554,465 times
Pump, a lot, especially in the beginning.
It can trick your body into thinking you gave birth to twins so it will supply accordingly.

Be prepared to leak everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting