Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 AM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Your opinion.
Nope.
What the people involved said in an interview.

But go ahead, make something creepy about it...
It IS just a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
This particular photo I took as a joke as well. Dad hardly looks scary or threatening, or even like he's trying to be. I agree that a dad should actually teach his daughter to handle herself, but this dad looks like he's just trying to be funny.

What I find personally creepy is the "promise ring" to daughters from dad, pledging her virginity until marriage. I don't feel her virginity is any of dad's business and the pledge and ring is just crossing the line. It's a young woman's choice if she wants to be a virgin until she's married, not her dad's.
Promise rings from daughters to dads are creepy. I think the photos were just silly.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,954,664 times
THIS instance is probably a joke, but I have male friends, I have male family, I hear males talk at church. There HAVE been very ugly incidents that were not funny, and some involved loss of life, and all because some men can't get over letting their daughters grow up. My father would have been like that if he had daughters. Lucky for me when I was around 24 I got friendly with a male neighbor who had two daughters. I remember him telling me that his younger daughter, still in her teens came to him with a case of crabs. He never forced her to give the guy up. He treated her himself. That daughter was always a little wild but the other daughter was straight arrow so you can't really ever figure. Point is though he was "cool". The daughter knew she could turn to him for help when she needed help. It was a good example to have. I was very nervous before that about having girls because all my family role models espoused a guy destroying his own life in retaliation after an insult, or worse, or making the daughters life miserable preemptively, to preserve the family honor.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:34 AM

321 posts, read 421,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
THIS instance is probably a joke, but I have male friends, I have male family, I hear males talk at church. There HAVE been very ugly incidents that were not funny, and some involved loss of life, and all because some men can't get over letting their daughters grow up. My father would have been like that if he had daughters. Lucky for me when I was around 24 I got friendly with a male neighbor who had two daughters. I remember him telling me that his younger daughter, still in her teens came to him with a case of crabs. He never forced her to give the guy up. He treated her himself. That daughter was always a little wild but the other daughter was straight arrow so you can't really ever figure. Point is though he was "cool". The daughter knew she could turn to him for help when she needed help. It was a good example to have. I was very nervous before that about having girls because all my family role models espoused a guy destroying his own life in retaliation after an insult, or worse, or making the daughters life miserable preemptively, to preserve the family honor.
Sounds like the kind of Dad I'd want to be.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Funny, I took it to mean, "Hurt my daughter, I'll hurt you" as in, "I've got my daughter's back" rather than anything creepy. I guess that creepiness is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,923,471 times
It's a joke. NBD.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Funny, I took it to mean, "Hurt my daughter, I'll hurt you" as in, "I've got my daughter's back" rather than anything creepy. I guess that creepiness is in the eye of the beholder.
Yep.
People find what they are looking for...

Old 10-22-2015, 12:25 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,415,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

What I find personally creepy is the "promise ring" to daughters from dad, pledging her virginity until marriage.
That's a thing?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:28 PM

I have not heard of a dad pledging his daughters virginity with a ring.

I HAVE heard of the Silver Ring Thing, but parents are not involved in that. It is the individual's choice.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,491,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
That's a thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have not heard of a dad pledging his daughters virginity with a ring.

I HAVE heard of the Silver Ring Thing, but parents are not involved in that. It is the individual's choice.
It is indeed a thing. Also called a "purity ring." Some go as far to throw "purity balls" which is almost like a wedding, where the dad promises to protect his daughter and guard her virginity, complete with the ring. The ring is to be worn on the wedding ring finger until an actual wedding ring replaces it. Girls may want their dad to love and protect them, but not to get all up in their personal, feminine business. I have to wonder about the dynamics of the relationship where a girl would feel comfortable with that, and any dad that concerned with his daughter's virginity has issues.

The first time I heard of it was Jessica Simpson's dad doing it. Creeped me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting