Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:38 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times

Advertisements

Unannounced visits and bringing a cake? Ugh. You don't even know them...they might be trying to diet or gluten free. What time would you come over? Dinner time? Or after whe people are doing homework. Or maybe the weekend morning when the parents are trying to grab a couple extra hours of sleep. Maybe like 2am so you are sure they are home then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Well all this stuff about folk expecting privacy etc would make me MORE likely to rock up uninvited not less>>>what are they hiding

If it was just me, I wouldn't do this. I would call first, but its not about me, its about the safety of my child.

In a country where guns are everywhere, if it was my kid I was sending off to a stranger's embrace, a little bit of perceived rudeness wont stop me one bit from checking them out in person, unannounced, beforehand.

Hai. I bought Cake. etc.
Ok, this is making me laugh. This is an interesting that makes me think of the Jim Jeffries gun control skit.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Well all this stuff about folk expecting privacy etc would make me MORE likely to rock up uninvited not less>>>what are they hiding
For me, it is not about privacy. What would I DO with you when you show up with your cake? And I am trying to drive off to get my kids where ever they need to be. You can see my messy kitchen, I don't care. I've hidden my meth lab underground. I'm not stupid.

I agree with the poster who said make a call.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 PM

649 posts, read 570,991 times
Quote:

If it was just me, I wouldn't do this. I would call first, but its not about me, its about the safety of my child.

In a country where guns are everywhere, if it was my kid I was sending off to a stranger's embrace, a little bit of perceived rudeness wont stop me one bit from checking them out in person, unannounced, beforehand.

Hai. I bought Cake. etc.
Contrary to what might be portrayed in the media, guns are not everywhere in America and most sane gun owners do not go around shooting random people that knock on their door. If a complete stranger walked into my house they can expect a face full of pepper spray though. My response to the rude guest would be to thank them for the cake, tell them I was busy and politely shoo them away, throw the cake in the trash and make a mental note to self never to invite their kid to another party.

Anyway, how did this turn into a bash America discussion?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:01 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
In Australia, you invite them in for coffee and sit down for a chat and cut up the cake.

Or, you say, oh how lovely, now's not a good time, be sure to come along when the party is on.<<<which is the aim.

Goal.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Quote:
In Australia, you invite them in for coffee and sit down for a chat and cut up the cake.

Or, you say, oh how lovely, now's not a good time, be sure to come along when the party is on.<<<which is the aim.

Goal.
Can't you do all that with a phone call? It's odd you insist on showing up unannounced. I always welcome parents to parties. You are welcome to attend. Just call and say you aren't comfortable yet letting your kid go to parties and I'll say it's no big deal. Then you attend the party and help out.

My time is precious to me, and I don't want people coming over uninvited. I may be in the shower or gardening. Heck, I might just want to relax on the couch. Call first...no big deal.

It's simple really.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:43 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Contrary to popular belief, we don't randomly shoot people that come to our doors
But is is considered rude (as well as illegal) to enter a stranger's home uninvited. That could get you shot

I don't even answer my (locked) door if I'm not expecting anyone. I have cameras to observe who is there, but uninvited? Nope.

I vote for checking around with friends' parents--but without that, I'd most likely let my child go. 12 is old enough to know what's acceptable behavior.
I live half of the year in Florida, the other half in the wilds of the Canadian west prairies. I rarely lock my doors in either place, even though my downstairs' neighbor at my condo in Florida has a loaded semi-automatic in both his and his wife's nightstand.

Guess it is different perspectives. I've had wolves come within 25 yards of me in the bush, and although I had my rifle with me, I had no desire to shoot them... they don't taste as good as deer. Fear is in the mind, and reality is your in far less danger today of being a victim of a violent crime than 30 years ago... both in the USA and Canada.

But facts won't change minds.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Can't you do all that with a phone call? It's odd you insist on showing up unannounced. I always welcome parents to parties. You are welcome to attend. Just call and say you aren't comfortable yet letting your kid go to parties and I'll say it's no big deal. Then you attend the party and help out.

My time is precious to me, and I don't want people coming over uninvited. I may be in the shower or gardening. Heck, I might just want to relax on the couch. Call first...no big deal.

It's simple really.
Its different down here.

We don't want to call...we want to see first hand, where said Pool Party will be, who the host is, where and who the adults are likely to be, who the invitees are, is the pool safe, do they have a beer or a joint or a needle in their hand, BEFORE we say yes to our precious vulnerable 12 year old.

It's simple really.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Quote:
Its different down here.

We don't want to call...we want to see first hand, where said Pool Party will be, who the host is, where and who the adults are likely to be, who the invitees are, is the pool safe, do they have a beer or a joint or a needle in their hand, BEFORE we say yes to our precious vulnerable 12 year old.

It's simple really.
You can't call and set up a meeting? Say...hey can I come by for coffee? You just randomly show up and expect to be invited in by strangers? You feel uncomfortable sending your kid to a party with their friends, but it's okay for you to randomly show up?

I would just attend with the child if I was nervous and take my child home if it was dangerous.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:57 PM

418 posts, read 728,563 times
You'd throw out the cake? Man....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting