Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times

Advertisements

One son is a convicted felon. It sounds like the second one won't be far behind.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Wow! Lots of 19-year-olds are a little screwed up and lazy, but your son is taking it to a new level.

It's the responsibility of the driver to make sure the car is in proper condition to legally be on the road, and it's not. The headlights should be replaced before the car is driven at night again, and probably the windshield needs to be replaced before it's driven again. (Legally, the headlights should be replaced before it's driven, day OR night.)

It's your son's responsibility to replace the windshield, whether he drives it again or not, as he's the one who broke it. Your parents might want to check the insurance policy to see if it's covered for glass breakage (comprehensive). I'd guess it is, in which case your son would just need to pay the deductible.

It's a little late to be teaching life lessons to your son, but as long as he's living under your roof, you still have some leverage. Better late than never. If he's unwilling to do the right thing with that car, kick his immature tush out of your house and let him learn on his own. (That's your leverage.)

Legally, I don't think you can take the car from your son, since he's now an "adult", and the car belongs to your parents, not to you. (Correct?) You do owe it to your parents to try to get this resolved, but at the very least, let them know that he's driving it in an unsafe manner. If he's in an accident with their car, they could be held liable along with your son.

I wish you luck. FWIW, you're not alone. Parents of teenagers the world over go through this -- kids become legal adults without having learned to act like adults. Some will eventually learn, others never will.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
I'm still curious to know who will be supporting the new family of 3. The son claims he can't even afford $30 for some minor car repair. But he thinks he can afford to have a child? Does his gf work? Does she pay rent or is she not self-supporting, either?

It's obvious he's lying that the child was planned. It was an "oops" that he's covering up for by saying it was planned.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 PM

91 posts, read 119,175 times
Mod cut: Reply to comments which have been deleted.

It's just hard sometimes to want to be there for the kids after a divorce and separating them from their bio dad only to give them too much and not know how to reign it in. My husband believes in tough love. I don't. I believe in unconditional love. My husband said that if I believed in unconditional love then I would have never gotten divorced from my first husband. I would have allowed him to continue using drugs, selling our furniture, and sleeping around creating other kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting