Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 PM

388 posts, read 474,296 times

Advertisements

OP - I recently found out I am allergic to grains. That's why I would eat bread, rice, and pasta and still be very hungry and feel groggy.

Try cutting out all grains (corn is a grain btw) and see if that helps. Starch has very little nutrition so don't substitute chips, etc.

You could also get him tested for allergies. A blood draw will spare him all the pin pricks.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
MY son is 6 years old 48lbs and 4'1 and eats all day. He will literally cry two hours after he ate. I understand he takes a lot of activities so I feed him what he needs. But he wants more I always give him food as long as it is somewhat healthy but he still acts like he is starving.

Breakfast: Bagel with cream cheese / or wheat waffle with sausage and a fruit (apples or berries)

Snack (weekends only) yogurt and nuts or pretzels

Lunch is at 10:30 on school days and I pack him a sandwich fruit juice and veggie puffs

I pick him up at 2:20 and feed him at home something like a half a sandwich or like today simple pasta sauce and cheese.

On his way to class/ practice at 4:30 ( karate, football, swimming, piano) I might give him a granola bar or a bag of dried fruit.

He has dinner around 6 a full meal and dessert by 7:30 (cake, parfait, cookies, ect) then bed.

I only give him juice for lunch he has milk, tea or water the rest of the day. Even with him eating pretty often he still acts as if is not enough food. He will tell me he is starving. How can he be hungry? He isn't overweight in anyway. Where is the food going?
My grocery bill has basically doubled with "half" a person.

YOU ARENT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH

that sounds like Weight Watchers not the healthy diet of a growing child!!!!!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We have local high schools with a 10:30 lunch. I see kids in the nearby restaurants eating another meal after school. I'm sure mom loves that at dinner time a couple hours later!
The boys will eat their full dinner with seconds, and then another meal an hour or two later!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
OP, do you guys eat meat? My son went vegetarian (not vegan) last summer. I tried everything I could to add protein to his diet. Cottage cheese pancakes, omelettes, yogurt, whatever I could find that he might be willing to eat. He was the vegetarian who wouldn't eat vegetables! I was beside myself - I felt like I was struggling with a failure to thrive infant again. I warned him that he would not grow on this diet - and he DID take a multivitamin with iron every day, with something acidic for absorption.

Long story short, someone measured him after four months of this, and he found that he hadn't grown AT ALL over the summer - and kids usually grow faster in the summer. He LOST weight, instead of gaining. I warned him that he could never make up the lost growth, and this time, he listened. Even though ethically he was against it, he went back to eating meat, and started growing again. I told him he could (and should) become a vegetarian after he was finished growing.

So add more meat to his diet.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
OP, do you guys eat meat? My son went vegetarian (not vegan) last summer. I tried everything I could to add protein to his diet. Cottage cheese pancakes, omelettes, yogurt, whatever I could find that he might be willing to eat. He was the vegetarian who wouldn't eat vegetables! I was beside myself - I felt like I was struggling with a failure to thrive infant again. I warned him that he would not grow on this diet - and he DID take a multivitamin with iron every day, with something acidic for absorption.

Long story short, someone measured him after four months of this, and he found that he hadn't grown AT ALL over the summer - and kids usually grow faster in the summer. He LOST weight, instead of gaining. I warned him that he could never make up the lost growth, and this time, he listened. Even though ethically he was against it, he went back to eating meat, and started growing again. I told him he could (and should) become a vegetarian after he was finished growing.

So add more meat to his diet.
No he says he wont eat any animals but has no problem eating fish and the turkey links . Just another way to make meal time stressful. He will eat those quorn products the ones made from mycoprotien (its vegetarian and soy free). I bought the cliff bars he loves them. The kids one and not the adult ones filled with soy. He loves nut so I will up them. I also started sneaking chia and hemp into his oatmeal he doesn't notice.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 PM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
Can you feed him eggs? Bean and cheese burritos (make up a batch to use for a week). Add string cheese or full fat greek yogurt (without sweetner) to his lunch?

On the other hand, he's 6 years old. I have an 8 year old and 10 year old and they only eat about that amount.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 PM

462 posts, read 550,302 times
He seems underweight if anything, so I wouldn't worry about too much food. Add some to the lunch, he should be having a full sandwich by now, and let him have more milk.

Most kids won't eat veggies, if yours does add some into his lunch. If not fresh fruit is a good source of energy.

Your child should never be hungry, if he wants more food give it too him (within reason of course). You are feeding him pretty healthy food, he just needs more of it.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The boys will eat their full dinner with seconds, and then another meal an hour or two later!
So true!

I remember when my adult kids were teens. I had 3 in the house at once (2 boys and a girl).

They would eat a couple bowls of cereal for breakfast. Pack a lunch but eat it as a snack. They would get fast food for lunch (infuriates me HS offered actual fast food venders at school). Grab another meal or large snack after school. Come home and snack a ton. And still put away an entire plate (or two) of food at dinner. And then a midnight snack.

And they were thin!! They were pretty active...but still...

I had to go to costco every week!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:11 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,064 times
OP is describing the diet of a slimmer.

I simply cannot believe the child has a snack sometimes - my kids ate all day, every day. From the minute they got up they were grazing, pretty much. Plus eating 3 meals a day I prepared.

They weren't fat, still arent. My daughter is Tall and always has been.

This child is underweight and hungry because HES UNDERFED!!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
I don't see anything wrong with what you are feeding him (although I would skip juice or any sweetened beverage). My daughter is a light eater but *always* hungry. Its hard to explain. But she wouldn't eat all that food most days, but still complain about being hungry. At 9, she has access to the kitchen when ever she is hungry. She still wants dinner at 4pm. She needs to eat about every 2 hours, just a little bit, to maintain her blood sugar. She is still very thin, its her metabolism. So perhaps a change in routine might help.

I remember all my kids were STARVING after school. I always, always, always brought snacks for the car. Otherwise it was a tear fest in the car on the way home. But sometimes I wondered if it was also emotional. There is an attachment aspect to being fed...and having been apart all day (still fairly young), being fed immediately (like they were as babies) provides comfort that you are still there and going to take care of them. So I am not always sure "hunger" is about an empty tummy. Being fed is comfort.

I might add more to lunch. Sandwich, milk, yogurt/cheese (unless there is cheese on the sandwich), apple sauce, cooked and cooled peas. I love my Planet Boxes (google it) because it gives you lots of little compartments for variety. But I would expect much of that would go into the trash.

My kids are picky about meats too. Texture thing. They love sushi, but hate chicken breasts. They like soy protein sausage, but not pork sausage. *sigh*. Its fun to feed kids (not!).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting