Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 01:21 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a teen or college aged babysitter to watch/hang out/entertain my kids (7/8) this summer for probably 2 weeks - 3 days per week. The hours would be 10-4 (so 6 hours per day for a total of 18 hours per week). I just want someone to play games, take them to the neighborhood pool, do crafts and things like that. Maybe take the kids roller skating or bowling (for this I would pay for the admission and skates, the games for bowling and give gas money). I've posted on our neighborhood FB page. I received a couple of responses and one gave me a rate. She's 19 and a college student.

How much would you pay for 18 hours per week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 01:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
$200-$220/week. I wouldn't hire a teen if it involved driving my kids around though.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
$200-$220/week. I wouldn't hire a teen if it involved driving my kids around though.

Around my area most college age babysitters/nannies change $12 to $15 an hour for regular part time work. Now if it was full time you could probably negotiate a slightly lower amount. The summer nannies in my area routinely drive the children to activities (especially if they are a little older like 20 or above). I have known some parents who have hired young teachers who was looking for summer work at only slightly more money (and sometimes even the same money as college students).

However, areas can vary dramatically in what is acceptable pay & responsibilities.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:27 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Around my area most college age babysitters/nannies change $12 to $15 an hour for regular part time work. Now if it was full time you could probably negotiate a slightly lower amount. The summer nannies in my area routinely drive the children to activities (especially if they are a little older like 20 or above). I have known some parents who have hired young teachers who was looking for summer work at only slightly more money (and sometimes even the same money as college students).

However, areas can vary dramatically in what is acceptable pay & responsibilities.
The rates are about the same here (Chicago area). Probably closer to $15/hour since there are two kids. The OP could figure out what the going rate is in her area by checking care.com. If you pay for a month of their "premium" membership you can post a job ad and get applicants that way. We got about 25 applicants in a week and found our nanny that way.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Its $15 an hour for 2 kids here. So just do the math. I wouldn't look for a deal unless it was an entire summer gig.

Also pay for gas and activities. If the sitter has to pay to get in, you have to pay for her too. Meals out...I have always paid for the sitter because I am not good at confrontation. But I don't think you should have to. If there is an additional activity fee, not just admittance, again I pay for the sitter but you shouldn't have to. I am a push over. I did draw the line once when the sitter took the kids to a pottery painting place. I never paint when I am there because I am helping the kids. Not only did she paint, she picked a $48 piece! And used the card I gave her for kids expenses. I fired her after that.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I wouldn't hire a teen to drive my kids, period... and depending on how old the kids were, I wouldn't necessarily trust a teenager to watch them in the pool.

But aside from that, in my area, I think most young adults would charge maybe $150/week for 18 hours. Or less. As a parent, though, I'd be willing to pay more to find someone a little older and more qualified. Maybe $200/week or something.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I wouldn't hire a teen to drive my kids, period... and depending on how old the kids were, I wouldn't necessarily trust a teenager to watch them in the pool.

But aside from that, in my area, I think most young adults would charge maybe $150/week for 18 hours. Or less. As a parent, though, I'd be willing to pay more to find someone a little older and more qualified. Maybe $200/week or something.
I don't hire teenagers either. Just young adults. I am willing to pay more. I pay $15 an hour...it might be less for teenagers. I haven't priced that out. Its not an option for me.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't hire teenagers either. Just young adults. I am willing to pay more. I pay $15 an hour...it might be less for teenagers. I haven't priced that out. Its not an option for me.

I will be home as I work from home so that's why teens are an option for me. I wouldn't let them drive the kids so the skating/bowling would be out.

Our neighborhood pool is almost all 3.5 feet with a small 4/5 section. The pool also has 3 lifeguards and it's not a huge pool either.My kids are excellent swimmers having had swim lessons plus spending the summer at the Y the past two summer's. They have to pass a swim test to go into the deeper parts of the pool and both my kids passed both years (they have to do it every summer). They will also be at the Y again the summer for a few weeks.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

That is not even $10/hr.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Have you looked at care.com? It's a fabulous resource.

I'm in CT so the price might be more here but I'd say maybe $220 a week, plus gas money and fees for activities. I'd also pay her cost for the activity such as a museum pass or movie ticket.

Depending on where you live, you might have to pay a bit more since it's a short term period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting