Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I would definitely tell the school counselor. She can tell the mother. Because you are right, something is going on and it needs to be addressed. By telling the counselor you are telling an unbiased person who is not close to it. Whereas if the mother is the problem and you tell her, who knows what will happen? The counselor is also required to document it and so it won't be swept under the rug.
good point,,,if the mother is the problem,,,,then this will be feeding the monster..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Call the girl's mother. Tonight!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
I would definitely tell the school counselor. She can tell the mother. Because you are right, something is going on and it needs to be addressed. By telling the counselor you are telling an unbiased person who is not close to it. Whereas if the mother is the problem and you tell her, who knows what will happen? The counselor is also required to document it and so it won't be swept under the rug.
This seems like good advice.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But you would agree that this is a "too adult" issue to leave at the feet of a 12 year old to deal with, no?
Yes. I also think the best idea is contacting the school counselor as the people above were suggesting.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
If you were the girl's mother, wouldn't you want to know?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
If you were the girl's mother, wouldn't you want to know?

The best person tell the mother is the counselor.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 PM

21 posts, read 24,376 times
Well, first of all, this reminded me of an episode of 7th Heaven called Cutters.

Secondly, you know of this information now, so you have to tell the girl's parent(s) or the school. I wouldn't say your daughter's friend is making her be codependent, it's common for friends to want to help each other, even in situations that they can't. I wouldn't exactly call what this girl is going through to be "teen angst drama" because that sounds incredibly patronizing.

After you tell another adult about this, whether it be the girl's parents or the school (I would recommend the school as others said, so maybe the girl can be put in some school counseling as well as other counseling and such), you should talk to your own daughter about this and explain how some people need more help when it comes to these issues. Make sure your daughter knows that she can't control people and we can't always help our friends like we wish we could, sometimes an adult/professional needs to come along and do this. But how we can still support our friends in times like these (with the friend getting help, not the friend dealing with these issues on her own without anyone knowing).

Talk to her about how her and her friend are different, like in how they deal with some things (this is a 7th Heaven scene). Hopefully the girl will be able to get some help soon and your daughter can still be friends with her.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
I would agree with this. I would also discontinue this friendship. I think your daughter may need to see a counselor after this experience. Not long term, just to vent about what happened to an unbiased third party.

This family is one that I would avoid. I went through this when my daughter was 14. She girl was not a cutter, but there were other acting out issues. The mother was more interested in men than her daughter.
Telling the mother did nothing.

Telling the school counselor was helpful.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:09 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Oh good lord. Don't end the friendship. Because you CAN'T. You can't keep your daughter away from this girl - they go to school together. In any case, it's a good learning opportunity for your daughter and you want everything in the open and not hidden away.

First, I would have a long talk with your daughter about boundaries, and also about the fact that constantly trying to "save" someone is often an act of selfishness - the "rescuer" gets an ego boost from it more than they help the friend who's strugglin. You need to call the guidance counselor and make sure that she will tell the other girl's mother and also set up an appointment for your daughter so that she can discuss with the counselor, and the counselor can help her brainstorm about how she can help her friend without getting pulled down or enabling. You're her mom - she's not going to want to listen to you on this one.

You've got a teenager. Just be realistic and accept that there will be drama. Just teach your daughter how to deal with it in a functional and compassionate manner.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Thanks for the many messages, everyone.

It's a tough situation. I agree that this is too much for a 12 year old to handle alone. Not just my daughter, but her friend.

I do know that the mom knows about the eating disorder already and, according to my daughter, trying to get her help for that. From the sound of it, the cutting started as a result of the girl being upset about the anorexia being discovered. As such, it's possible the cutting will be discovered before too long.

When I mentioned having the girl talk to her guidance counselor, my daughter said that her friend doesn't like their assigned guidance counselor, so I'm hesitant to do that since there is no trust there. But I suppose I should do it anyway, or see if the other counselor at the school can contact her parents.

We did talk last night a lot about how cutting is a symptom of something very serious, and that it can take YEARS to work it out. I told her about one of my mother's friends that had a daughter who became a cutter in high school, and had been doing it for a long while before being discovered - the girl saw a therapist for 5-6 years before she finally stopped cutting. YEARS.

Some of you said, "if it was your daughter, you'd want to know." And you are absolutely right. I would.

I'll make some calls today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting