Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,473 times

Advertisements

My daughter is in an immersion program at her school. This is the first year for this particular immersion program but the county has other immersion programs at a couple of other schools for the last few years.

On curriculum night in September, the parents were told that we would be receiving a syllabus of the curriculum for the program. We all wanted a loose guide of what the kids would be learning this year.
We also have a parent's support group for help with homework and other issues. The principal is a member of our group. She was pretty active in the group at one time responding to questions and she let us know that there would be a parent's meeting in April. She also told us that she was going to look into a summer program for the kids so they didn't loose all of things they learned this year. This was in January.

It's now May and there are 20.5 days of school left and there hasn't been another mention of a parent's meeting (parent's have emailed her and she doesn't respond and it's been two months). We were told about two weeks ago by the AP that there wasn't going to be a summer program because the teacher's were going back to their home countries for the summer. Once I heard that, I went to work trying to find something for my daughter. I was able to find something not only for my daughter but the parent's as whole if they were interested. I just needed to find a location. I emailed the principal to see if we could use the school. The 2nd time I emailed her I received a response that she was also working on setting up a summer program and could she have the number of my contact and could I meet with her today or tomorrow to get all of my notes and information I have. I gave her the name of my contact and told her I'd love to meet with her. I'm still waiting for her to pick a time.

On Friday, an envelope came home and in contained results of assessments they did on the kids in March. Assessments that the parents had no idea they were doing. Some of the assessments were great and some of them were terrible. The report grades and the assessments aren't reflective of each other at all.

I emailed my daughter's teacher last night for more information. The principal is still not responding to any parent. If you don't get the answers you need do you go over the principal's head? I am struggling with keeping my daughter in the program. It's a fantastic opportunity. She enjoys it. The logistics have been terrible. It's the first year for this school but the program as a whole is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting