Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:28 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You seem to be harboring a lot of hostility about things that happened decades ago that really had no affect on you as well as those things that occurred long ago that did affect you directly. In either event, those things are in the past and all the dredging up of history will do nothing to change what's done. You should consider looking forward rather than back. This entire thread needn't have happened and accomplishes nothing.
According to you.... sometimes getting things out instead of hiding them away in recesses of your mind, does help some people....and as many have said, Dont read it if it doesnt interest you....With the amount of PMs Im getting about drunken fathers, and how it affected some of their lives on here I suspect a lot more went through this than you think...perhaps unlike me they cant or wont talk about it in public.. but the damage is still there... no matter how many years...There are far more threads on here that would disgust or annoy me than the truth about bad parenting.. but I dont bother to read them and would never tell anyone not to post them , it is a public forum and as long as me or any poster isnt being abusive to others , its fine to post what we feel.... Im an open person. always have been and dont believe in secrets and deceit in family matters...while some prefer to hide the past and feel ashamed as many people must... as if its all their fault what a parent did to them..Its never the childs fault.. The sad part is that most children dont properly recover after things they ve heard , seen or has happened to them... and can affect the rest of their lives, how they relate to others and love...

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-31-2016 at 02:52 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM

772 posts, read 914,390 times
So if I have 4 beers after work , from 4:30pm until 8:00pm, but I am in the backyard with my kid, kicking around the soccer ball, playing with chalk, and blowing bubbles ( child is 2.5 years old)

What does that make me ? A functioning alcoholic who's only a matter of time until I explode and start drinking a gallon of rum a day ?

I also work 10 hours a day, and am not stressed or tired after work ...

Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
So if I have 4 beers after work , from 4:30pm until 8:00pm, but I am in the backyard with my kid, kicking around the soccer ball, playing with chalk, and blowing bubbles ( child is 2.5 years old)

What does that make me ? A functioning alcoholic who's only a matter of time until I explode and start drinking a gallon of rum a day ?

I also work 10 hours a day, and am not stressed or tired after work ...
No your a normal dad and doing ok Id say..

Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
This thread is about a Glasgow woman who went through hard times with a drunken father and it must have helped her to tell her story...
I'm sure it was cathartic for McCourt and Walls, as well. I know it was for Jeannette Walls, as a matter of fact, because I heard her speak at an event when The Glass Castle came out.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm sure it was cathartic for McCourt and Walls, as well. I know it was for Jeannette Walls, as a matter of fact, because I heard her speak at an event when The Glass Castle came out.
I think too its a realease for many who suffered in childhood... some people cant or dont want to bring it out. or admit it happened maybe through shame.. I dont know... but for some its good to let go and tell what happened in their past...

Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
Back in the fifties hardly any women I knew drank , they never had the time or the money apart from the inclination... their kids came first....
They drank. They just did it in private and kept it hidden. Lots of them also abused sedatives.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 AM

217 posts, read 247,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
They drank. They just did it in private and kept it hidden. Lots of them also abused sedatives.
LMAO. I love blanket statements based on no factual evidence. What do you consider "lots of them". Please post links backing your claim.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Heavy drinking here in Glasgow has always been seen as acceptable and being a man.... men who didnt drink or drink much were made fun of by other men and told they were pansies, if only they knew, falling about talking daft, wasting money , being abusive to the family and others isnt being a man or a father, its being a trashy ignorant obnoxious clown .The sad thing is that most are seen as this great guy outside the house, mr wonderful whos the life and soul of the party until the lights go out...One very sad thing I heard from a married women years ago, whos hubby lived in the pub more or less, was this...........Uch well if he s doon the pub getting drunk, I know where he is, he could be doing worse..... how sad that it was just a way of life and for some still is....
Then this is not about the failings of individual men putting drink before their kids. It is about failings of the culture of Glasgow that glorifies drinking for men. It's also about cultures that promote early and fast marriages and shame people for divorcing.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 06-01-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
LMAO. I love blanket statements based on no factual evidence. What do you consider "lots of them". Please post links backing your claim.
Meprobamate was abused widely by women in the 50's. In the 60's it was Librium and Valium.

You know the song by the Rolling Stones called "Mother's Little Helper"? You know what that was about, right? If not, listen to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13olfeD026g

Do you know what thalidomide was? It was a sedative overprescribed to pregnant mothers that led to the death of approximately 2,000 children and serious birth defects in more than 10,000 children.

There is plenty of factual evidence for my statement.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:17 AM

217 posts, read 247,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Meprobamate was abused widely by women in the 50's. In the 60's it was Librium and Valium.

You know the song by the Rolling Stones called "Mother's Little Helper"? You know what that was about, right? If not, listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13olfeD026g

Do you know what thalidomide was? It was a sedative overprescribed to pregnant mothers that led to the death of approximately 2,000 children and serious birth defects in more than 10,000 children.

There is plenty of factual evidence for my statement.
No it's not, at least on this planet. Posting a link to a Rolling Stones song doesn't mean it was WIDELY abused by many mom's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting