Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 AM

491 posts, read 375,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I agree you don't have to accept it. But if I, as the parent, are standing right next to my children when they were making rude comments, I would expect the offended person address any issues they had with my children's behavior directly with me.
i agree with this post. if i had to bring it up in any serious way, i'd do it with the parent. it's as easy as saying,

"excuse me, can you please control your children. thank you"

if she gives u lip service, you then say

"this is a public area. please have some decency."

most importantly, do not lose your temper. stay calm, and collected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Well, it's a tough question, OP.
First, there is general principle - best way to forgive is to learn how to not get offended. Just turn your mind off those brats. Ultimately, they are only adversely influencing their karma and positively yours.
There is also Luke 23:34. It's kids. Feel compression and sorrow to a parent that raised them, as know they -children - not any better.
Also, it's culture. Look around. What do you expect from media environment like this?
I'd have, should I really decide to take it personally, actually talk to a female with them. If she is some sort of a legal guardian to them, she is responsible for their behavior. It's her job to tame what she is responsible for.
But truly - situation like this is the best way to get into useless and degrading **** fight and this should be below any intelligent person. Simply change lines. Let several people in front of you, creating a barrier.
CLEAR YOUR MIND AND LET IT GO. It is absolutely not worth it.
Also, you may consider meditating on why your appearance triggered kids into those remarks?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:49 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I agree. There is an appropriate way to talk to others. Nobody should b called ugly.

Just the other day I saw a boy, maybe about 9 or 10 years old, in 7-11. He wasn't wearing any footwear. I simply told him that he should have shoes on in the store and that believed it was actually a law. He just shrugged me off, but maybe he'll keep that in mind the next time he goes to a store.
Nah. I went around barefoot all the time as a teenager (HATED shoes) and a few people said things to me. No store person ever said a thing, even restaurants were fine. Granted it was a "hippy town". Anyways, people who said things to me were being nosey. It wasnt like I was hurting them or it was any of their business whatsoever. It wasn't affecting them, they don't need to pipe up.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I need parents' opinions this. I don't know how wrong I am or it was just a bad situation.

I was in line to get dinner over the weekend, just a quick trip after a long day. Two girls in front of me were with their mother (I assume it is their mother). They would look directly at me, point, make rude comments and keep at it. Mom didn't get involved. Finally I said to them "Stop with the rude comments. It is not acceptable to be nasty to strangers in line". The mother bodily blocked them from me and said told the girls I was dangerous and to stay away.
I would have done the exact same thing you did. Kids need to be told when their behavior is unacceptable. It's supposed to be handled by their parents, but if that isn't happening then you have to speak up, especially since you were the target of their rude comments.

You know the saying, "It takes a village." Well, that holds true when even the village idiot has kids and doesn't have the sense to discipline and teach them good behavior, it's up to everyone else to pick up the slack so those kids don't turn out like their mother.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
Last week I was in a water park, and was sitting at a table eating my lunch when this lady barged up to two kids (10-11 I'd guess) and got in their faces. She was LIVID. "Where's your mom? Never mind it doesn't matter..."

She continues screaming in their faces (inches) that they might think they are beautiful but they are ugly inside and that they should go home and think about what horrible people they are due to some altercation that happened in the wave pool. She yelled for a good 2 minutes, I was watching just to make sure she didn't touch them in any way. I was just about to get up and say something to break it up but then she walked off. So instead I told the kids to steer clear of her and if she bothered them again to visit with a lifeguard.

The kids wanted to tell me what happened in the wave pool - I didn't even engage that. I have no doubts they were rude or splashed someone or whatever. That lady was off the cuff in the wrong. If I had the presence of mind to watch where she went to sit down I would have talked to the management about her, but rather I was watching the kids to ensure they were okay.

Please, if you engage other peoples kids, make sure to be respectful and don't be like this lady. She probably felt she was so in the right for guiding these kids in the absence of their adults. She even said "I'm a teacher and a parent and none of the kids I am responsible for would ever get away with behaviour like that". I was trying to picture her saying those words to a kid in her classroom and then retaining her job, which I think would be at serious risk.

So while I wouldn't hesitate to say something to kids who are being dangerous or mean to themselves or others, please really think about the manner in which you do it.
Totally inappropriate on the woman's behalf. Clearly she was heavily triggered...who knows if the girls did all that much because her reaction seemed over board by a mile.

But it reminded me of a "friend" who is no longer a friend because she spent her day at the water park taking pictures of people she thought looked funny and posting them on social media to make fun of them and encourage others to also. This was a 35 year old adult woman!. I told her what I thought of that behavior (immature, rude, etc) in a really nice way. She didn't take it well. We haven't talked since.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I agree you don't have to accept it. But if I, as the parent, are standing right next to my children when they were making rude comments, I would expect the offended person address any issues they had with my children's behavior directly with me.
Disagree completely. If you're standing right next to your children while they are making rude comments and you aren't doing anything about it yourself, then you're part of the problem and I wouldn't waste my time telling you how to be a parent and control your kids because you clearly aren't doing a good job.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post

I was in line to get dinner over the weekend...Two girls in front of me were with their mother...They would look directly at me, point, make rude comments and keep at it.
Unless you enjoy mingling with the masses, avoid eating at places where you have to stand in line.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, it's a tough question, OP.
First, there is general principle - best way to forgive is to learn how to not get offended. Just turn your mind off those brats. Ultimately, they are only adversely influencing their karma and positively yours.
There is also Luke 23:34. It's kids. Feel compression and sorrow to a parent that raised them, as know they -children - not any better.
Also, it's culture. Look around. What do you expect from media environment like this?
I'd have, should I really decide to take it personally, actually talk to a female with them. If she is some sort of a legal guardian to them, she is responsible for their behavior. It's her job to tame what she is responsible for.
But truly - situation like this is the best way to get into useless and degrading **** fight and this should be below any intelligent person. Simply change lines. Let several people in front of you, creating a barrier.
CLEAR YOUR MIND AND LET IT GO. It is absolutely not worth it.
Also, you may consider meditating on why your appearance triggered kids into those remarks?
Is there a specific physical attribute you feel would be appropriate for children to make rude comments about? I can't think of any.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:44 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is there a specific physical attribute you feel would be appropriate for children to make rude comments about? I can't think of any.
Thank you Mattie, I was wondering the same.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What you take as rude may be simple curiosity to them. Kids don't necessarily know what is appropriate and not appropriate. Better to explain to them in an understanding matter, rather than to just assume they are little brats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting