Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Before I got married, we had the talk and I was very clear that I wanted more than 1 child. My husband agreed. He has selective memory. Two years after the 1st, when I brought up starting for a 2nd, he threw a fit about only wanting 1 child because "he didn't even want 1, he's not going to have 2..."

I, again, explained how we agreed to more than 1 child. I ended up getting pregnant while on the pill while we were still discussing the situation. My youngest is currently 5 1/2. Every time he does anything my husband doesn't like, he screams and shouts, "and this is why I didn't want a 2nd child!" My son knows he feels this way because he says it all the time. My son knows his dad doesn't like him and he can feel the resentment.

If you voluntarily bring a 2nd child into this world and truly don't want one, don't you dare ever tell that child you didn't want him/her. I am sick to my stomach whenever my husband says it, and it makes me lash out at him, and it makes me run to my son and hug him as hard as I can to tell him he is wanted and he can't listen to mean things like that. I shouldn't have to talk with a 5 year about how his dad talks, but it's sad to type out that I've been having the talk with him since he was an infant too young to understand the words his dad was saying.
Your husband is abusive and not a good person.
I'm sorry.
For you. But more for the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 07:13 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Before I got married, we had the talk and I was very clear that I wanted more than 1 child. My husband agreed. He has selective memory. Two years after the 1st, when I brought up starting for a 2nd, he threw a fit about only wanting 1 child because "he didn't even want 1, he's not going to have 2..."

I, again, explained how we agreed to more than 1 child. I ended up getting pregnant while on the pill while we were still discussing the situation. My youngest is currently 5 1/2. Every time he does anything my husband doesn't like, he screams and shouts, "and this is why I didn't want a 2nd child!" My son knows he feels this way because he says it all the time. My son knows his dad doesn't like him and he can feel the resentment.

If you voluntarily bring a 2nd child into this world and truly don't want one, don't you dare ever tell that child you didn't want him/her. I am sick to my stomach whenever my husband says it, and it makes me lash out at him, and it makes me run to my son and hug him as hard as I can to tell him he is wanted and he can't listen to mean things like that. I shouldn't have to talk with a 5 year about how his dad talks, but it's sad to type out that I've been having the talk with him since he was an infant too young to understand the words his dad was saying.

This is so, so awful for your son. I am so sorry. He will never forget this, and it is very damaging.

My gosh... he's only five. FIVE!!!

This is almost worth leaving your husband over.

He needs to talk to a therapist... learn how to deal with his anger.... or leave.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
This is so, so awful for your son. I am so sorry. He will never forget this, and it is very damaging.

My gosh... he's only five. FIVE!!!

This is almost worth leaving your husband over.

He needs to talk to a therapist... learn how to deal with his anger.... or leave.
The man screams when he's angry and emotionally abuses a 5 year old.
I think we're past "almost worth leaving."

Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The man screams when he's angry and emotionally abuses a 5 year old.
I think we're past "almost worth leaving."
I gave him one salvation - therapy. Or out.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

Wow that is harsh! Dad seriously needs to check himself. At 5 years old the poor kid already knows his dad doesn't like him. Dude better never ask for a kidney or ask why the kid doesn't visit later in life. That's just so damn cold! It's really horrible.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Got to have at least two in my opinion. First one can turn out to be a dud so you need a backup.
Parent of the year goes to.....

Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
My first is older than the second by little over 5 years. We did plan on more than one kid, but it took a long time to conceive. During that time, we had so many people (especially DH's family) tell us that the "longer (we) wait" the harder it'll be for the kids to bond. Really annoying to deal with. I'm not sure why my in-laws believe that 2-3 year is important for that "necessary" bonding when none of my nieces and nephews are really that close to their own sibling. My husband had that 2 year difference with his brother, and they're not close at all-- in fact, they have no relationship at all. Looking over to my family, I know my dad was closest to his oldest siblings who were 20 and 15 years older. My siblings and I had the 3 year increment, we get along fine but aren't really that close. There aren't really guarantee that the siblings will be close, but as parents, all you can do is foster good relations and hope.

As it is, my girls (including surprise child #3 who popped up soon after #2) do have a special bond, even with the age difference. I do hope it'll be for life.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
If you have another they will be quite far apart in age and probably won't really be companions, at least not in childhood.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
It's a terrible thing to have to be an only child. There's so many social disadvantages to it and if you're the only one, you become the target of all your parents' disorders. Have at least three and train them to do the housework for you, beginning at any early age. Everyone comes out ahead, when you do that.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's a terrible thing to have to be an only child. There's so many social disadvantages to it and if you're the only one, you become the target of all your parents' disorders. Have at least three and train them to do the housework for you, beginning at any early age. Everyone comes out ahead, when you do that.
Social disorders? Most children spend their baby and toddler years in day care.....then pre-k.

I won't touch the rest of your comments. They speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting