Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 11:43 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,662,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I have a hard time believing her daughter is in a sorority. There is no summer recruitment. Recruitment is usually right before classes start or during the first couple of weeks.

And if a school is opening the second or third week in August -- well, whatdayaknow, here we are in recruitment seasons . . .

Lots of universities start second or third week of August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 11:51 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
And if a school is opening the second or third week in August -- well, whatdayaknow, here we are in recruitment seasons . . .

Lots of universities start second or third week of August.
True, it is recruitment season. But she said her daughter is a new member of the sorority.

She wouldn't get a bid until the end of recruitment.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:11 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginerene View Post
She is thankfully fine, and I am not saying she is completely innocent but the fact she was allowed access to it at all and no doubt peer pressured into it greatly bothers me. She has said she just made a mistake and doesn't want anyone to get in trouble and she said she doesn't know who supplied it.

Shouldn't this kind of stuff be closely monitored by the school?
Nineteen means legal adult means making your own choices. School should be about education, not chaperoning the students' socializing.

That being said, the 21-year legal drinking age makes for a problem here. Alcohol is one of those things you should be able teach your kids about before they leave home and before they're so adult that they make adult-style mistakes under the influence. An old Danish drinking song says: "Teach your kid to drink like you taught him how to walk - so he can get himself lit and hit the floor with a crash; And still take his classes on the following day", roughly translated. While that's of course facetious, it's also true.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:14 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
This is like being upset at a dog for licking its own butt.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
BTW if the OP is real, your daughter should go to some classes on how dangerous over drinking is. When I was in law school, there was a secret drinking club. For their initiation they had to chug a pint of straight liquor of their choice, dress up like rambo, and jump from table to table in the library reading room shooting people with a big squirt gun while screaming wildly. A young lady joining the club chugged her 5th and made it through about five tables before she collapsed. She was tiny - less than 100 pounds and her blood alcohol level was .6 (.06?). She should have been dead. She ended up in a coma for three months, woke up with no brain damage (Drs said it was a miracle - it should not have been possible for her to have no brain damage) and came back to school. Point is, it only takes thirty seconds of making a stupid choice - boom - Dead or vegetable. Not from driving, not from anything else but the decision to consume more booze.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
117 posts and the OP has never posted again after the original post. Maybe she didn't like the responses.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
BTW if the OP is real, your daughter should go to some classes on how dangerous over drinking is.
When I was 21 I got so drunk on Tequila that I was literally sick for an entire week afterward. Not hung over with a little headache - sick. The thought of food repulsed me, and I hurt all over. Seriously - my elbows even hurt for some strange reason.

I'm pretty sure I should have went to the hospital for a stomach pump like the OP's daughter, but that's almost 30 year hindsight talking though... But yeah, there are a million stories out there just like that too.

Or we could just blame other people for our dumb decisions lol.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
[quote=AnnaGWS;45021770]And..apparently, his friend is a member of several sororities. LOL.

Sororities do not allow alcohol in their houses. They have strict policies against alcohol use at their socials. You will get tapped out if you are drunk. They do allow drinking for members who are 21. Different sororities have different rules about where/when for the of age members.

That said...a lot of girls "pre-game" and this is where the problem lies. There is the tendency for some to drink a large amount over a short period of time because they cannot drink at the function.

I have a hard time believing her daughter is in a sorority. There is no summer recruitment. Recruitment is usually right before classes start or during the first couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

Good catch. There most likely is no daughter.

When someone does a post like this, and asks advice and than never comes back, it's to stir the pot.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:40 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
At the University of North Dakota -- near where I work and live, sororities are not allowed to have alcohol in the house at any time.

Alcohol - While it's true alcohol can be a problem on college campuses, the UND fraternities and sororities are required to follow strict and detailed risk management policies established by their respective inter/national organizations to ensure safety. In addition, there are many educational opportunities available for members to learn how to make responsible choices when it comes to alcohol use. In fact, some organizations require their members to participate in the AlcoholEdu online course before they can become initiated into the chapter. In addition, the sorority houses and some of the fraternity houses have policies in which no alcohol is allowed in the facility at any time

https://und.edu/student-life/student...fe/parents.cfm

Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Send her to a university in England, she can drink as much as she wants and it's completely legal.

Seriously, drinking alcohol is a big part of university here. Every year when new students arrive, bars across the city have 'Freshers' Night', giving a discount to university freshmen. A university experience without alcohol would be a very strange one indeed. I think I lost track of the number of times I woke up on someone's floor with about 20 other people.

Good times - and it didn't interfere with my studies at all. Americans are so puritanical when it comes to alcohol.
Yeah, definitely worth considering. You can be a good Protestant later in your life. Uni is meant for partying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting