Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 06:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The person you quoted has half days only for the first week....
At a cost of $400. That's a lot of money. Well for me it is. I'm sure for the Sanctimommies it isn't since they've saved money since their own childhood to pay for such inconveniences.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Point missed.
You are being so argumentative that you did not see....

Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
To me, being a teacher is similar to being a doctor, reporter, EMT, etc. They are jobs that require extra hours and effort in order to serve the people you are charged with better. I don't see why all teachers should have to attend every event but I do think teachers should attend SOME - especially those that are raising funds for your school/classroom.

So, yes, if in today's climate we are seeing more parents who can not attend day meetings, accommodations need to be made.
And in today's climate we are seeing teachers attacked daily for all the likes of society from taxes to bullying to whatever. One of the biggest constant complaints against teachers is that they are overpaid glorified babysitters who should get less pay, less benefits and now we should also work every night so other people can come in when it suits them. I am all for teachers working after hours, but those who want that and want to compare us to other professionals like doctors and lawyers are awfully silent when others attack us and try to strip away our professional status.

So of expectations are that we need to work at all sorts of hours outside of our contracts, than treat us and pay us like that.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
But you do realize there are those of us who don't work traditional schedules and/or work far away making it nearly impossible to get to these functions right? I think, as people are expected to work more and more and more and further away (which both of these issues are trending over the past 10-20 years) that public services need to keep pace with these changes. It makes sense to me. When the needs of the family changes, public services need to adjust.
Yes, I got that the several times it was mentioned in this thread. I don't know what you mean by "traditional schedule" or "normal job." If you don't work M-F 8-5, then shouldn't it be even easier for you to make it to stuff during the school day?

More and more people are able to telecommute, so I could just as easily say that it's easier for parents to make it to this stuff now.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Education is important to me. We both hold bachelors degrees, and I have a masters degree. We each have completed several certificate programs. We want to support the school, but they're making it hard.

I am nervous about how many middle-of-the-day appointments they will expect we attend in the future.

How does or doesn't your child's school accommodate two income families?
How do places of employement support and accommodate parents?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Because their job revolves around the child and family? If an issue is important enough to warrant a meeting, its important enough to meet the parents when they are able to meet.
You do realize you are asking teachers to put in an at least a 12 hour day then correct? And it wouldn't be a one time thing, more than half of kids have parents who both work. That means at least 50% of meetings and events would need to trigger a 12 hr day for teachers. Two to three sets of parent conferences a year, disciplinary and IEP meetings, not to mention school events. That means teachers would be doing about 2-3 12 hr days a week. Before they deal with their own children and commutes and whatever.

Would you be willing to do an additional 500 hrs a year unpaid? Because teachers are salaried employees, they will not get paid for lol of these hours you expect them to do. Would you be willing to spend 15 hrs less week with your children because your clients couldn't come in during work hours?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I think we'll skip the intake meeting.

I am required by my employer to use PTO in 8 hour increments. Not going to do that for a 30 minute intake appt. My wife has to use 4 hour increments, and has no PTO at the moment as she just started a new job.
You might want to look at stacking all the doctors appointments and other appointments you've been neglecting into this day.

Or at least find a neighbor to take her to meet her teacher.

Since you really value your daughter's education.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Yep. Part of the job IMO. Just like doctors, EMTs, police officers, firefighters, reporters, photographers, news anchors, plumbers, electricians etc do. Work the hours which best meet their clients' needs. What, do teachers think they are special or something?
This is a strange analogy. Teachers have traditionally worked school hours, what you are suggesting is they work whenever parents decide is convenient for them. That is not what doctors do. Do you expect your pediatrician to stay open until 8 every night so you can make appointments that are convenient for you? And if your pediatrician is nice enough to have a late evening, I guarantee they aren't there the same day at 7am. Police, EMTs and firefighters all work shifts. They are not expected to work a regular shift (I.e. The school day) and then show up additionally on their time off. And while shifts maybe 12 hours, they don't work 5 days a week.

And you better believe if you ask a plumber to come to your house off hours for an emergency you will pay a pretty penny for it. Are you proposing that parents who want these special services pay for them like the plumber example you gave?

You want teachers to do both, work the traditional hours, and then also cater to your needs. None of the professions above do that.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Point missed.
You are being so argumentative that you did not see....
LOL I got your point. I disagree with it entirely. I'm not being argumentative. I'm rebutting some of the points made from a different perspective.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And in today's climate we are seeing teachers attacked daily for all the likes of society from taxes to bullying to whatever. One of the biggest constant complaints against teachers is that they are overpaid glorified babysitters who should get less pay, less benefits and now we should also work every night so other people can come in when it suits them. I am all for teachers working after hours, but those who want that and want to compare us to other professionals like doctors and lawyers are awfully silent when others attack us and try to strip away our professional status.

So of expectations are that we need to work at all sorts of hours outside of our contracts, than treat us and pay us like that.
I think teaching is the single most important job anyone can do. Without teachers, none of us would succeed.

But I still think that public servants need to meet the needs of those they serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting