Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 07:07 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes, I got that the several times it was mentioned in this thread. I don't know what you mean by "traditional schedule" or "normal job." If you don't work M-F 8-5, then shouldn't it be even easier for you to make it to stuff during the school day?

More and more people are able to telecommute, so I could just as easily say that it's easier for parents to make it to this stuff now.
Not necessarily. I work noon to midnight Monday through Friday. I have a one hour commute. By the time I get home and in bed, its 2 a.m. and I'm up getting the kids ready for school and hoping to get a one or two hour nap before I head back to work. And no, I can not telecommute and neither can my husband. Our jobs don't have the option and our professions don't lend themselves to such an option.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You do realize you are asking teachers to put in an at least a 12 hour day then correct? And it wouldn't be a one time thing, more than half of kids have parents who both work. That means at least 50% of meetings and events would need to trigger a 12 hr day for teachers. Two to three sets of parent conferences a year, disciplinary and IEP meetings, not to mention school events. That means teachers would be doing about 2-3 12 hr days a week. Before they deal with their own children and commutes and whatever.

Would you be willing to do an additional 500 hrs a year unpaid? Because teachers are salaried employees, they will not get paid for lol of these hours you expect them to do. Would you be willing to spend 15 hrs less week with your children because your clients couldn't come in during work hours?
No, I'm asking for one day a week to stay late and/or Skyping, email, GotoMeeting...something. I never said extra time shouldn't be compensated so lets put that argument to bed.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Plenty of people have to work late periodically. Hasn't killed us. If you don't want to work extra hours, don't ever have a job and make sure you're born independently wealth.

I actually worked at a school where all staff were REQUIRED to be out by 6 PM---parent-teacher night was the only exception. I think the earliest we were allowed in the building was 7:00 or 7:30. I can't remember. I did usually get into work at 7:30 and would have been happy to meet with parents from 7:30-8:00 because---well, actually I can't remember when my first class started for the day---yikes.

I also would have had no issues talking to a parent over the phone about any issues. If they wanted to discuss something, I could set aside some time when they got home from work, since it wouldn't be an everyday thing.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is a strange analogy. Teachers have traditionally worked school hours, what you are suggesting is they work whenever parents decide is convenient for them. That is not what doctors do. Do you expect your pediatrician to stay open until 8 every night so you can make appointments that are convenient for you? And if your pediatrician is nice enough to have a late evening, I guarantee they aren't there the same day at 7am. Police, EMTs and firefighters all work shifts. They are not expected to work a regular shift (I.e. The school day) and then show up additionally on their time off. And while shifts maybe 12 hours, they don't work 5 days a week.

And you better believe if you ask a plumber to come to your house off hours for an emergency you will pay a pretty penny for it. Are you proposing that parents who want these special services pay for them like the plumber example you gave?

You want teachers to do both, work the traditional hours, and then also cater to your needs. None of the professions above do that.
I don't think its a strange analogy. Schools and teachers crow about the importance of parental engagement and then a parent says, "Hey, we don't have a traditional schedule but really want to be involved in our child's education." Response? "If you really cared, you'd find a way." I throw that statement right back to those who made it.

My pediatrician has late office hours twice a week and Saturday mornings. There are three doctors in the office to accommodate different schedules.

Many police, firefighters and EMTs work 12 hour shifts or more.

I want schools to do more to accommodate parents who don't fit the traditional 9-5 M-F mold so they have equal opportunity to be involved in their child's education.

If teachers don't want to stay late, perhaps we can have caseworkers who meet with parents in the evenings to discuss the issues, cover IEPs, etc.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 AM

Or hell, make a phone call and send papers home to be signed and returned.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think teaching is the single most important job anyone can do. Without teachers, none of us would succeed.

But I still think that public servants need to meet the needs of those they serve.
Quote:
Not necessarily. I work noon to midnight Monday through Friday. I have a one hour commute. By the time I get home and in bed, its 2 a.m. and I'm up getting the kids ready for school and hoping to get a one or two hour nap before I head back to work. And no, I can not telecommute and neither can my husband. Our jobs don't have the option and our professions don't lend themselves to such an option.
You expect a "public servant " to accommodate the parent who works 60 hours/week? Really? When would you suggest the appointment be? 2am?

You could shorten your nap and go before work, if nothing else. But I don't believe you actually work 12-12 m-f every week. Maybe 3 days/ week, or 5 days on 5 off, or something, but regularly scheduled 60 hour weeks I'm not buying. At least not if both of you work.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I don't think its a strange analogy. Schools and teachers crow about the importance of parental engagement and then a parent says, "Hey, we don't have a traditional schedule but really want to be involved in our child's education." Response? "If you really cared, you'd find a way." I throw that statement right back to those who made it.

My pediatrician has late office hours twice a week and Saturday mornings. There are three doctors in the office to accommodate different schedules.

Many police, firefighters and EMTs work 12 hour shifts or more.

I want schools to do more to accommodate parents who don't fit the traditional 9-5 M-F mold so they have equal opportunity to be involved in their child's education.

If teachers don't want to stay late, perhaps we can have caseworkers who meet with parents in the evenings to discuss the issues, cover IEPs, etc.
Nurses, fire fighters and emt's have days off to make up for those hours.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Or hell, make a phone call and send papers home to be signed and returned.
It's hard to introduce your kindergartener to her teacher and classroom over the phone.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:37 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,317 times
Didn't read all the responses, but I understand both sides of the argument here, being a working parent (with a working spouse) and having two kids, one already out of school and one in middle school.

1) I would go to this "intake meeting". You can skip "doughnuts with dads" and Halloween party (as well as any other party, coffee with the principal, PTA meetings etc), but anytime you have an opportunity to meet with your child's teacher one on one should be a priority. Teachers like parents who are involved, and establishing a good communication with them is the way to go.

2) Start thinking about ways you can be closer to your child's school. If you have a child who is starting kindergarten, you are in this for the next 13 years. It will make your life a lot easier and more guilt-free if you make it possible to be there for your child. Start looking for a job that allows to work from home and take breaks in the middle of the day, find one that is a close distance to school/home etc. Basically, if you can have one parent working close to school, that's ideal. Flexible work schedule, where you can work, say 8 - 2, and then finish your work later in the evening (from home) is also nice.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Didn't read all the responses, but I understand both sides of the argument here, being a working parent (with a working spouse) and having two kids, one already out of school and one in middle school.

1) I would go to this "intake meeting". You can skip "doughnuts with dads" and Halloween party (as well as any other party, coffee with the principal, PTA meetings etc), but anytime you have an opportunity to meet with your child's teacher one on one should be a priority. Teachers like parents who are involved, and establishing a good communication with them is the way to go.

2) Start thinking about ways you can be closer to your child's school. If you have a child who is starting kindergarten, you are in this for the next 13 years. It will make your life a lot easier and more guilt-free if you make it possible to be there for your child. Start looking for a job that allows to work from home and take breaks in the middle of the day, find one that is a close distance to school/home etc. Basically, if you can have one parent working close to school, that's ideal. Flexible work schedule, where you can work, say 8 - 2, and then finish your work later in the evening (from home) is also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting