Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
This hamster isn't originally mine. It was an out of the blue favor that was done for
My Coworker who was one of the many people in my workplace who was laid off. I wasn't sure of the details but what happened is that I guess she didn't have a place anymore and loaned me the hamster for what was supposed to be a week. Well 2 weeks passed and she hasn't contacted me yet. I'm ok not a big deal. She gave me plenty of food to support the hamster. I have to wait till she calls.

I was doing a routine cleaning of her cage and I was so stupid I forgot to throw away her trash and bedding. My step father found the bedding and I had to confess that I had to pet sit for a coworker that was going through difficult times and it was supposed to be a short time. Then my mother called who asked me about the hamster and I told her I was pet sitting. She said she gave me until the end of the day to get rid of it, or I'll be out too. Mind you, I've been paying $500 a month in rent to stay here and if she kicks me out then with no 30 day eviction notice, then I would be ready to sue her for the 3.5 years of rent costs, damages, room and board etc.

We used to have pets and I was 12 years old and we had problems with dogs escaping and pooping all over the house. I didn't know anything about pets back then yet my own mother bases something that happened 15 years ago over the fact that I can't take care of a pet. I told them that hamsters don't stink and I keep the cage clean for the animals health. I need to persuade the parents to hold onto the hamster for a little longer until my coworker is ready to take the pet back. I'm 27. I work full time and know damn well how to care for a pet. The hamster poses no threat to anyone in the house hold and will be strictly my responsibility.

Someone help me please.
Your ideas regarding the rights of tenants (yes, that's what you are...) have no basis in law. Legally you are on a month-to-month (implied) lease unless you have a signed contract for a longer period of time. You can be forced out with a 30-day notice in most states. The fact that it's with parents is irrelevant to the law since you are over the age of majority (legally an adult).

You could sue, but you'd be wasting your money since as a tenant you do not have the legal right to stay beyond the 30-day notice unless a signed lease is in place.

Finally, as a tenant, you have no legally protected right to have a pet unless a signed lease is in place which states that you may.

Your only way of handling it is to talk it out with your folks diplomatically, explain your case, ask why they don't want the hamster, and discuss it. Don't threaten (bogus) legal action...this makes you sound like you can't respect boundaries and does not make your case.

Moreover, listen to what they have to say about the hamster, don't ignore them and insist that you keep it. Address their concerns, if you want any chance at convincing them to let you keep the animal.

Last edited by ncole1; 01-16-2017 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times
Tell them Richard Gere had a hamster.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,531,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post

No, it was a gerbil.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:35 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciamarshamarcia View Post
no, it was a gerbil.
tmi

Old 01-17-2017, 01:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Then they'll really want the hamster out of the house if they think its being used for that!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:18 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
Simple solution. Get a second hamster of the opposite sex, then let both hamsters loose in your parents bedroom. Then offer to get a snake to rid them of the hamster problem.

Oh, and move.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
all this over a hampster??

donate the little critter to a snake owner,,,and sell the cage on craigslist,,,

you did not ask/tell your parents, you brought a rodent in their house.....
boy, you are so quick to say you will take them to court........theirs much more in the mix than a rodent..

if you are 27.......move out share a place with others your age.....

there are lots of animal/pet facebook pages .... im sure you can give the rodent away if needed

Old 01-17-2017, 06:09 AM

305 posts, read 724,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Simple solution. Get a second hamster of the opposite sex, then let both hamsters loose in your parents bedroom. Then offer to get a snake to rid them of the hamster problem.

Oh, and move.
Or I'll hide a dead fish somewhere in the house if they are so concerned about smell.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Why are you so preoccupied with lawsuits?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
dead fish somewhere in the house
If you're in their house using their internet, I'd say that's pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting