Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, have you ever needed to do this? And why? Is it ok to drag a child by the foot to correct their behavior? CPS has OK'd it for a foster parent couple. The foster "mom" dragged a 2 year old out from under a table and he knocked his head a couple times. The birth mom saw it and the foster mom said she did this and CPS ok'd it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm curious, have you ever needed to do this? And why? Is it ok to drag a child by the foot to correct their behavior? CPS has OK'd it for a foster parent couple. The foster "mom" dragged a 2 year old out from under a table and he knocked his head a couple times. The birth mom saw it and the foster mom said she did this and CPS ok'd it.
I taught preschool children with special educational needs, some with severe behavioral issues. for decades and there may have been a handful of cases, over the hundreds and hundreds of children that I taught over 40 years where something like this may have happened. But, in a normal situation, unless the two year old had a lighter or a knife or poison and you were worried about them injuring themselves or others AND you were not able to crawl under the table yourself to keep the child safe it appears to be pretty poor parenting.

However, I have also had preschool age students who because of their severe behavioral problems and/or medical issues and/or emotional level and/or cognitive level had specific guidelines or strategies to deal with their needs that were not be something that you would do with a typically developing child without those specific needs. I'll give just one example. One of my three year olds was a self mutilator. Unless she was wearing special arm braces/splints that kept her hands and arms away from her mouth she would bit and chew her own skin until she was raw and bloody, and there was an actual risk of her completely chewing off her own fingers. So, for a typical child you would never, ever, ever use something as restrictive as arm braces/splints but for this individual child, at that point in time, they were definitely in her best interests.

OTOH, if you were not there & did not see this happen with your own eyes and you are only being told this by the birth mother you may not be hearing the full story. Or, this was an extreme example of a technique that is usually more successful (ie. child usually is pulled out easily and does not bump their head).

So, to answer your overall question. Yes, it is possible that this technique, while not normally used, may have been OKed by CPS, and their behavioral/educational team, for use with this particular child in that particular situation. Or, maybe it was a mistake/slip-up on the part of the foster mother.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-19-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 07:23 AM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
Seems like there was no intent to harm the child. Seems like a reasonable way to get a child thats crawling under a table as long as they arent just yanking the kid as hard as they can. I do believe foster parents should have to be evaluated better than what they are though.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Punishing little Johnny for some wrong doing by dragging him around by his foot for a few minutes? No, that's not okay.

Pulling a child out from under the table by the first appendage you can safely grab, like a foot, yeah of course that's okay. You have to get the kid out of there, and if they won't come, how else are you going to do it? As long as you aren't yanking them or hurting them. If you have a flailing kid and you are having to drag them out of somewhere by their foot and the kid whacks his head on the leg of the table because they are having a tantrum - well that's unfortunate, but it's not bad parenting. That's a kid having a tantrum. And yes I've had to drag my kid out from under a table before. And then they went to time out for the duration of their tantrum.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
It wasn't to correct behavior...it was to remove the child from under a table? That's what it sounds like. Seems fine to me.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:16 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I agree with Highflyingbird

Old 01-20-2017, 07:06 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Reliable source there, the woman who had her kid taken away complains about how the person who is taking care of kid operates. No chance of exaggeration there.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
One of those things we d have to see,does it say why the child was in care.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
I raised 5 children. Not once did I ever have to drag a child by any part of their body. And, I had a couple of very onery boys....one with ADHD and some of the typical behavior problems.

Seems careless disregard for the child, especially if the child hit their head....not once but you said a couple of times. I would have flipped out seeing that....Certainly not anything I would condone.

I say that the parent who witnessed this should contact their caseworker and make a formal complaint, and ask for a well baby check on their child.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I raised 5 children. Not once did I ever have to drag a child by any part of their body. And, I had a couple of very onery boys....one with ADHD and some of the typical behavior problems.

Seems careless disregard for the child, especially if the child hit their head....not once but you said a couple of times. I would have flipped out seeing that....Certainly not anything I would condone.

I say that the parent who witnessed this should contact their caseworker and make a formal complaint, and ask for a well baby check on their child.

I don't understand. How did you get them out of small places when they wouldn't come? Like under tables and hiding in covered slides at the playground when it was time to go and they wouldn't come? What did you do if you were holding their hand and they tried to get away? How did you get them to come with you when one hand was full and so you couldn't pick them up, or you had to hold on to two of them at the same time and they both wanted to go different directions, and neither in the same direction as you?

The only way I could see someone actually getting through 5 children "not once dragging a child by any part of their body" is if you kept them on leashes all of the time, and therefore dragged the leashes instead of their arm or leg or hand or foot. I mean, parenting little kids is physical. Even when you are just redirecting them and they are not even having a tantrum, you have to physically redirect them. Which really often requires some form of "dragging" (usually by the hand). Not yanking, mind you, but a gentle and firm pulling - ie dragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting