Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,025 times

Advertisements

Do you teach them about their ancestors and their traditions regularly,from the various countries they come from.
Or do you not bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 11:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Do you teach them about their ancestors and their traditions regularly,from the various countries they come from.
Or do you not bother?
Best that I can. I'm into genealogy. Does my kid listen much? LOL. Probably not that much. I wish I had listened better to my parents when they told me family ancestry, stories, and traditions.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Not really. My kids are four generations removed from those that immigrated, so as far as they're concerned, they are American. I did cook some of my Grandmother's recipes on St Patrick's day, and they've had Polish foods that my spouse grew up with, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Yes, but I am an immigrant as is my husband. Multiple times each and every day people ask us where we are from, so my children hear the question repeatedly.

We have taken the children to our homelands and will do so again soon, we have photographs, family trees, and we talk quite a bit about our roots and how it impacts who we are. Our children are very interested in their ancestry.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Yes. Years ago our Scout troop was placing flags in a local Civil War cemetery on Memorial Day, and we noticed a headstone with my maiden name on it.

My sons asked me how many ancestors we had who had fought in the Civil War, and I honestly had no idea. So I started searching and, almost 10 years in, have a pretty complete family tree that has taught us all SO much about our history.

It was really fun to follow the migration of my and my husband's families across the US. Fortunately we were doing this while my older kids were in upper elementary school, so they were very much into geography, history, military etc.

It's also helped give them stuff to talk about with their older relatives. I wasn't as interested in ancestry until I was in high school, unfortunately, so I wasn't able to ask my grand- and great-grandparents some of the questions I'd LOVE to ask them now.

That's the story of life, though.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Not exactly countries, but I have been teaching my kids about Jewish holidays and traditions, even though we are not religiously Jewish (my family of origin is though). I have done more to teach my kids about Jewish stuff than my parents did with me, which is a little funny. My parents were non-practicing when I was growing up.

I did our family tree a few years ago and learned some interesting things about our ancestors, but they are from so many different countries several generations back that I have never really identified with any particular country of origin other than the USA.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Yes, I have. I am 100% of a very specific group from a small region of a specific country. Some my ancestors came to America in the 1840s, others in the 1880s and my maternal grandmother arrived in 1905. Yet ALL of my ancestors, on both sides of the family, married within the same, small ethnic group.

Now, I did not. But, that is OK. After all, America is a melting pot.

Our children know a lot about the heritage on both sides of our family.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Yes, it is a big part of our familial culture despite being many generations removed.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:30 PM

26 posts, read 16,860 times
Yes, it is very important. It is a part of who they are. It is also nice to have relatives in another part of the world and travel. It enriches them culturally, emotionally. It makes them more understanding to others. It opens their eyes to see the world differently. It can ultimately make them better people.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
Yes of course! We are several different nationalities but I have talked about each. My 3rd grader just had to do a report on her most dominate heritage so we picked one that both my husband and are have in common. It consisted of a map of the country, what type of language is spoken, what type of currency is used, traditions and customs and famous landmarks. Then all of the children presented their reported to the class so they could all learn about different heritages. I think it was an excellent idea! The grade was part Language Arts and part Social Studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting