Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 PM

65 posts, read 84,547 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting question; I was born in and have almost all my family a country where I will most likely never be able to go back to, is it worth teaching my kids about it? Or is it just a waste of time since they will probably never meet that side of the family or have any contact with that country? But I think if you do have contact with that part of your family and your heritage is is not discriminated against I think it's great.

Last edited by George Brock; 01-30-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 03:47 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,025 times
I would say it is worthwhile to teach them their heritage and to give them a good sense of Indentity and self worth.Alot of young people are easy targets for marketers and advertisers etc because they have such a poor sense of indentity.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
We do it because it's fun, not because we place a lot of importance on it. My mom is only 2nd generation American, but they assimilated purposely (spoke english, etc) We got interested in Swedish traditions when we moved near an IKEA. We also talk about our British heritage, again, my daughter has been to England and Scotland twice, so we told her to look for her cousins (haha, that side of the family is like 15th generation american so our cousins would be distant!)

We don't preach any particular loyalty or anything.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM

450 posts, read 597,972 times
Personally I made great efforts to teach my kids about their heritage. Did they care? Didn't seem like it at the time. Even twenty years later all they care about is the heritage they're creating.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Both sides of my family have been here since before the Revolution. I have done extensive genealogical research and they are interested now that they are adults, but not so much when they were younger.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,362,566 times
My kids learned about their heritage through stories about their ancestors. Honestly, they aren't interested! Our family has been in the US for over 100 years.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Both my husband's family and mine date back to the Puritans, so there isn't much discussion of the "old world." That said, we have made an effort to ensure that our kids know family stories, and that they understand that their ancestors played a role in the defining events of American history, for better and for worse. Our family tree contains both heroes and villains; all contributed to who we are as individuals, as a family, and as a nation today. Is this education important? Yes, I think it is, if only because it gives us a peg on which to hang our knowledge. Learning about the Salem witch trials becomes more than just an intellectual exercise when you can point to people in your family tree, knowing that they participated.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
I'm into geneology. I've talked about my family tree to some extent. I have one line that has a lot of wild stories like outlaws, feuds, hillbillies, moonshine, etc. We have several pictures of people holding guns. The kids just laugh. They know another line is from Luxembourg and Germany. The kids aren't really all that interested yet, but I'm working on a book for the extended family. I think the kids will get interested when they can read it.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Brock View Post
This is an interesting question; I was born in and have almost all my family a country where I will most likely never be able to go back to, is it worth teaching my kids about it? Or is it just a waste of time since they will probably never meet that side of the family or have any contact with that country? But I think if you do have contact with that part of your family and your heritage is is not discriminated against I think it's great.
If they don't know where they come from, how will they know where they are going?

That's an old expression, but it makes sense.

They need to appreciate the journey their elders took and learn the hows and whys of the challenges and sacrifices made. Otherwise they just assume that everyone had it as easy as they do.

And how do you know they'll never have any contact with that country? Do they speak the language? That can be a marketable job skill. Or maybe they'll take an interest in their cultural heritage. If you cut them off now, they'll feel disconnected. Kids are interested in their parents' youth, and the fact that yours was significantly different will be extra enriching. Celebrate what is positive about your culture. Ritual and ceremony are important to human development.

I certainly appreciate that my grandfather's parents were dirt poor immigrants who came here from Scotland and Wales to work in the coal mines. My grandfather quit school and went into the mine at age 12, worked one day and said never again. He became a vice president of a major power utility. Likewise my grandmothers' parents...ran away from a wicked stepmother in Sweden and came here to farm...raised 10 kids in a two bedroom house. Their stories are not particularly unique/ But I'm glad I heard them!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Do you teach them about their ancestors and their traditions regularly,from the various countries they come from.
Or do you not bother?
Children should be taught to take pride both in their ancestral heritage and their existence as Americans. The latter trumps the former but both are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting