Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,841 times

Advertisements

Yes, mainly through the cuisine of our heritage, she (we ) love to eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
I'm just a little jealous of those who have a food culture or language other than American English to share with your children.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Not really. I didn't grow up with any particular cultural traditions or sense of hertigage, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Unless you count teaching them random New England customs.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 PM

787 posts, read 644,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Do you teach them about their ancestors and their traditions regularly,from the various countries they come from.
Or do you not bother?
Absolutely.

As a male latino, it's part of our culture to maintain traditions, language, etc.

Nothing makes me quite sad like seeing a generation "lose" traditions, native languages of the family just because they live in the USA. A really poor excuse.

Being cultured, and learning about ones' background, and languages, and cultures around the world is always a good thing, always a positive, always valuable.

If you are going to scoff at maintaining such traditions, you might as well scoff at formal education as well. Scoff at the importance of ethics and equality while you are at it, they are all equally as rich, and stimulating to the brain.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
If I knew all of it, yes. My family on both sides are mutts. My father has at least one Native American tribe, French-Canadian, English, Hungarian and Welsh while my mother has Irish and Dutch-German in her blood. A little too complicated.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
I grew up with immigrant elder relatives and my husband's father was an immigrant himself so our heritage has been part of our lives. Our children grew up seeing the costumes of their countries of origin and hearing the language, the folk tales, eating the food and hearing music and stories about family in the old country. This was really important to our ancestors even though they were of the generation of immigrants who were anxious to assimilate and happy to be Americans.

I think our adult children have enjoyed knowing about their family's history. And in spite of the stern rule in modern America against generalizations about various cultures our family has many jokes and humorous anecdotes about common traits of the people from which we come. As in all peoples we have inherited certain cultural tendencies that are strengths to take pride in and foibles to laugh about.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I didn't and my father didn't. What a pity.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Do you teach them about their ancestors and their traditions regularly,from the various countries they come from.
Or do you not bother?
It was discussed when we were young. No big deal. Ancestors happened about 230-years ago.
Like Hillary said: at this point, what difference does it make!

Old 01-31-2017, 06:09 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,558 times
Not really. We tell them stories about their great grand parents, but as far as lineage or ancestry... no. It does not really matter to us. They and we are Americans.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 AM

126,283 posts, read 19,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I grew up with immigrant elder relatives and my husband's father was an immigrant himself so our heritage has been part of our lives. Our children grew up seeing the costumes of their countries of origin and hearing the language, the folk tales, eating the food and hearing music and stories about family in the old country. This was really important to our ancestors even though they were of the generation of immigrants who were anxious to assimilate and happy to be Americans.

I think our adult children have enjoyed knowing about their family's history. And in spite of the stern rule in modern America against generalizations about various cultures our family has many jokes and humorous anecdotes about common traits of the people from which we come. As in all peoples we have inherited certain cultural tendencies that are strengths to take pride in and foibles to laugh about.
Lodestar I agree with you. We raised our 4 kids teaching them about our heritage. They were introduced to Punjabi and German language,traditions,customs,cuisine. They spend a lot of summer holidays with relatives from both sides to get to know them. And yes I think it is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting