Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 06:50 PM

186 posts, read 128,864 times

Advertisements

post her facebook page here

Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
post her facebook page here

Can't do that. It is against forum rules.

From a moderator's post in the stickies in this forum:

Quote:
Miss Blue Moderator
Miss Blue started this thread

There are probably hundreds of threads in this forum about Face Book.

Personal rants about FB posters or outing their name or URL page will be deleted and possibly infracted, as it is against our TOS to out anyone.

For the above reasons I am putting a temporary ban on any new FB AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA threads and am asking your cooperation in reporting early any new FB thread you come across. Any "old news" FB/other social media threads brought back to the top of the forums will also be closed.

Thanks all for your cooperation in this matter.

Miss Blue
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting
Sticky thread: Facebook

Old 02-06-2017, 07:42 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
I'm really glad I'm not a wacko paranoid parent.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Your assumption about teen drinking in Europe being less problematic is actually untrue.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/26/1083320...r-drinking-age
That study is flawed. The problem is that it's based on "self-reporting". Of course European teens are more likely to self report - - they aren't breaking the law. An American who self reports is admitting to breaking the law and are thus less likely to do so.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:30 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Interesting, thanks for the link.

USA is given by that source as having total consumption of 15+ year olds as 7.5 - 9.9 liters per year and most of Europe is in the next higher band, 10.0-12.4 liters per year. I would argue that having a slightly higher average is not tantamount to alcoholism. Perhaps you can make somewhat of a case based on the frequency of "binge drinking", though one can't help but wonder what happened to the frequency of binge drinking in the 20-24 age group.
About 20% of American college age students are complete abstainers from alcohol, however. In other countries where social drinking is more ubiquitous, you're not throwing so many zeroes into the mix when it comes to per capita consumption. A Harvard study back in the early 2000s had 44.4% of college students binge drinking either occasionally (1 to 3 times a month) or frequently (more than 3 times a month). So there is a large binge drinking population that seems less alarming because of a large abstainer group thinning out the numbers.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 PM

160 posts, read 84,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog49 View Post
The point is to stop it before it became a problem. It's inappropriate and needed to be ended which it was.

On the flip side would you be OK with your 40 year old husband staying up and talking to a 16 year old girl for 4-5 hours a night all the time?

We don't know it would have been a problem though.

Why was it inappropriate?

And yes, if there was no reason to suspect anything wrong going on, sure I'd be ok with it.

This boy only talked on the phone with the woman for 5 hours one time. People here are acting like he had 20 5 hour conversations.

There was one 5 hour conversation and two 2 hour conversations.

The rest were probably 10-20 minutes.

Big deal. NO ONE ever talks on the phone for 10 minutes at a time!

Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How many kids do you know spend hours at a time talking to a coach or teacher or some other adult friend? I can tell you it does not happen normally. If it is happening that should be a big red flag. The parents that started this thread spoke of catching her son spending hours on the phone with the woman. On top of that the boy had never met her in person but was only holding an online gaming relationship. That should tip any adult off to another big red flag.

I stand behind what I said. I am not saying that a kid has to say everything in front of a parent. I am saying that no kid has any reason to say something in private that can not be said in front of a parent.

Way too many kids out there saying and posting things that they would never say in front of a parent. Way too many kids out there getting into trouble and the parents are clueless. Plenty of social media sites that have adults that are looking for the right kid, the one that they can build trust to the point that the kid ends up doing something they will regret later on, or getting involved with something that they should not have been involved with.

Parents have a right to protect their kids from everything. Parents should be monitoring what happens on the computer, on the phone, and with every interaction between coaches and teachers. The good coaches and teachers will not care that a parent is watching. They will see that as a sign of support. The bad coaches and teachers will want to hide. I would say that the majority of coaches and teachers have the best interest for the kids. It is those few that make a parent need to be on the look out all the time.

OK, let's say your kid got 10 test grades in 1 marking period: 100, 98, 72, 100, 100, 24, 99, 92, 96, 100.

Would you say your kid has a 24% average?

That is exactly what you are doing every time you push the "He spends 5 hours on the phone every night" narrative when that only happened once!

Isn't the age minimum for most social media sites 13? If so, it can't be that dangerous for the kids or the minimum wage would be 18.

Lots of good coaches are annoyed at over parent involvement. They don't want to be questioned every time they bench a kid, especially when the kid took 50 shots in a game and only made 2 baskets.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
That was how my brothers and I were raised, and none of us got involved with drugs, or had kids when we were still in school, or got in trouble with the law. I was the only one who actually dated while still in HS, and that wasn't until the end of my senior year, and my bf was a classmate. First time we went on a date, my mother insisted on meeting his father (his parents were divorced and he lived with his dad) before she would allow it.

Our parents ran that household, they made the rules because they were the ones paying the bills AND because they were the adults in that scenario, and we could either accept it or not. When we turned 18 and were out of school we were free to leave if we so chose, just don't expect Mom and Dad to pay our bills if we did. If we wanted to live at home after HS, we had to either be working or in college, preferably both. My parents were very clear that they were only raising one generation, us, and that they would not carry any deadbeat adult kids.

If you think paying the bills makes you mature, understand the reality TV stars get paid about $2 million a season and their intelligence is about an 8-year old.

If they somehow produce smart kids, should the reality TV star make the rules just because they pay for stuff?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
You are comparing apples to some unnamed fruit that doesn't exist.

Adults in a workplace agree to abide by reasonable rules (not the made up ones you posted). Kids are under the authority, BY LAW of a parent or guardian.

I hope you don't have kids.

I pretty much copied the paragraph written by the previous poster. I didn't make them up.

I was trying to show you how unreasonable parents are when we move those rules to another environment.

The law is irrelevant when establishing who is right.

We used to call black people slaves by LAW. Was that right too?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
You need diversion. Get him a gf his age that keeps him busy and preoccupied. He needs to be involved in other things that kids his age do so that he doesn't go after the phone or online thing.

btw there is no doubt that there is an american pie MILF moment going on between the two. What normal conversation would they be having after mid night. You as a parent need intervention but not a strict one. This is a vulnerable age as you know so be careful how you want to proceed with this.

I would give it a day or two before people complain that he could get her pregnant too.

And being involved with other things doesn't change anything if you really want one thing.

Tons of high school kids have jam packed schedules and still find time to get drunk.

You have no evidence that anything wrong is going on. They talk after midnight because the son knows the mom might not approve, but that has nothing to do with what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting