Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
There is no laws against OP having a stern talk with this women, either. My guess is no laws have been broken (yet), but this married women still needs to know it's not appropriate to prey on this woman's son.
No concern with having a conversation with the women in question, but thats totally different than getting police involved for something that so far, does not contain any laws broken.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
When I was 50, I could talk to my friend's 19 yo son for 5 hours. About music, about concerts, about the universe, about life.
i'm in my 40's, and my kids friends, all about the age of 16, come to me constantly to talk. They feel I'm far more approachable than their parents to discuss issues, while at the same point, my kids, open up to my friends. We trust each other fully, and would never encourage bad behavior.

I'd never ever jump to the conclusion that wrongdoing is taking place, but consider the fact she's a complete stranger, I sure think its appropriate for the OP to put the woman on notice that they know there is discussions taking place, and that they find it inappropriate and at the very least, ask to keep the conversations during appropriate times etc or cease out of concern for the boy in question.

She may, or may not comply with the wishes, I'm betting not, they will just move their conversations back online at which point the OP can file a trespass warning, but since the conversation now moved online, proving the communication continues, assuming it would, will be that much harder.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,276,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Um....no, having the phone convo is not illegal.
Seriously, how many 40 year old strangers called you during the middle of the night and kept you on the phone 5 hours at a time when you were a teen? Boundaries??

Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM

18,553 posts, read 15,644,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously, how many 40 year old strangers called you during the middle of the night and kept you on the phone 5 hours at a time when you were a teen? Boundaries??
Bizarre, yes. Illegal, no.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:36 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,229,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
This.

Let her know that if contact continues or if she mentions you got involved all the information is going straight to the police and she can explain herself to them.
Texts have been erased. What proof could be taken to police? I would be thinking about disconnecting the phoneto get the son's attention.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,041,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, I sent an email to the police chief (small town, I know him). I didn't give him the woman's name, just asked for his advice.
I don't understand ... First you are concerned, now you try to go the easiest route. Why did you not call him yourself? Like ... yesterday?

Old 01-31-2017, 02:14 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,621,614 times
Or, end this today. Publish the cougar's phone number and email here... THAT'LL make her think!

Old 01-31-2017, 02:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 812,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
i'm in my 40's, and my kids friends, all about the age of 16, come to me constantly to talk. They feel I'm far more approachable than their parents to discuss issues, while at the same point, my kids, open up to my friends. We trust each other fully, and would never encourage bad behavior.

I'd never ever jump to the conclusion that wrongdoing is taking place, but consider the fact she's a complete stranger, I sure think its appropriate for the OP to put the woman on notice that they know there is discussions taking place, and that they find it inappropriate and at the very least, ask to keep the conversations during appropriate times etc or cease out of concern for the boy in question.

She may, or may not comply with the wishes, I'm betting not, they will just move their conversations back online at which point the OP can file a trespass warning, but since the conversation now moved online, proving the communication continues, assuming it would, will be that much harder.
Glad I'm not the only one who finds it not that unusual to talk to an adult when you're a teen. I definitely think OP & her DH should put the woman on notice with a phone call. My money is that she will comply with their wishes. I'm guessing she doesn't know his age or if she does, she hasn't thought it through what it could seem like (the conclusion everyone is jumping to here). A phone call from the parents I think will scare her OR the parents may learn that she is innocently helping him with a problem they don't even know about & is taking on the role of a parental figure (like someone suggested he could be thinking of running away & she could be talking him out of it). They won't know til they call. A conversation gives everyone the chance to come clean without accusations or jumping to conclusions. It also puts them on notice if something more nefarious is going on.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,111,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
When I was 50, I could talk to my friend's 19 yo son for 5 hours. About music, about concerts, about the universe, about life.
Quote:
i'm in my 40's, and my kids friends, all about the age of 16, come to me constantly to talk.
In the middle of the night ... ? In secret?

Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM

274 posts, read 298,668 times
Quote:
No concern with having a conversation with the women in question, but thats totally different than getting police involved for something that so far, does not contain any laws broken.
I agree -- but there is no harm in letting the police come to that same conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting