Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,146,832 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be 6 in May and is in Kindergarten at a public school in the suburbs. We have been dealing with a problem child at her school.

This boy has been bullying my daughter most of the year. She has told us that he kicks and punches her. Pushes her sometimes. Kicks her under the table. Tells her that she has no friends and no one likes her. That he is going to get his mom to hurt her.

Fairly recently, he exposed himself to her. She has been great through all this and has consistently told us and her teacher about the bullying and when he exposed himself. The teacher told us privately that he is a bit of a problem kid. That something clearly must be going on at home.

Now my daughter came home and pointed like a gun at her Mom and said "boom boom boom". When asked where she learned that, she said the kid does it in school and makes her do it.

We feel like there hasn't been much done to control the kid but we also don't know what procedures are in place and what is possible to help this situation. Her Mom is on the warpath and wants him removed from her class. I feel like they wont do this considering there is only a month and a half left. I assume that public schools can't just move the kid out of the school especially at this age.

What should we do? She wrote an email to the teacher basically saying enough is enough. I agree that I'm tired of my child being bullied and having this kid interact with her. But I also am realistic and want to push for a reasonable solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,775,469 times
I am sorry this is happening to your child. You are correct, they are not going to remove this child from school. He has a right to and education. But so does your daughter, and you have the right to request that she be moved to a different class than this child, which is what I would suggest.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
I can't believe you haven't requested a meeting with the principal about this, to find out what the procedures are (why ask us? You should be talking to your school admin), and to demand that something be done to stop the abuse. Either the child gets switched to another group, or he gets seated where he can't kick her and he gets watched at recess, or whatever it takes.

This is bullying, chronic abuse, and now sexual harassment/indecent exposure?! What will it take for you to speak up on your daughter's behalf? It's already been 7 months she's had to endure the bullying!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,146,832 times
We have spoken several times with the teacher after the kicking and abuse. She stated she would be watching him closely to ensure there are no problems. We had a conversation with her after the exposing incident as well. We have stayed respectful of the teacher and her process but clearly this isnt working and will be contacting her again. I will take your advice about meeting with the Principal.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
They CAN move him. Something similar happened my son's kindergarten year, with a child who behaved in much the same way.

He does have a right to an education, but that does not guarantee him a right to behave like this.

Let your wife take the warpath. This should not have gotten this far. Not all teachers are adept at handling kids with issues like this, and he can be moved to a different classroom at least. Go to the principal TODAY, or call him/her every day until this is addressed.

Know, however, that unless he moves or y'all move there is a chance this kid may be in school with your daughter every year, so you also should reaffirm your approach on equipping HER to deal with this kind of abuse so he self-image isn't negatively affected.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:39 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,974,623 times
Contact the school counselor as the teacher should have contacted one by now. My daughter is 7 and we had some incidents in her classroom this year. One of the parents emailed the school counselor and asked that she speak to the class. It didn't help so the school counselor had the school psychologist step in and she started a group for the class. It has helped.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,593,457 times
We had a bully in my son's kindergarten class. We went to the teacher multiple times and she just didn't handle it appropriately so we ultimately went to administration. Turns out the teacher was new and didn't know how to deal with it. The guidance counselor got involved and the bullying subsided a lot. We kept talking to our son about how to react when it happens and to have empathy because something is going on with the other child at home. Turns out the parents were in the middle of a brutal divorce that the child was being dragged into and he was just mimicking the behavior he saw at home.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:07 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,936,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
My daughter will be 6 in May and is in Kindergarten at a public school in the suburbs. We have been dealing with a problem child at her school.

This boy has been bullying my daughter most of the year. She has told us that he kicks and punches her. Pushes her sometimes. Kicks her under the table. Tells her that she has no friends and no one likes her. That he is going to get his mom to hurt her.

Fairly recently, he exposed himself to her. She has been great through all this and has consistently told us and her teacher about the bullying and when he exposed himself. The teacher told us privately that he is a bit of a problem kid. That something clearly must be going on at home.

Now my daughter came home and pointed like a gun at her Mom and said "boom boom boom". When asked where she learned that, she said the kid does it in school and makes her do it.

We feel like there hasn't been much done to control the kid but we also don't know what procedures are in place and what is possible to help this situation. Her Mom is on the warpath and wants him removed from her class. I feel like they wont do this considering there is only a month and a half left. I assume that public schools can't just move the kid out of the school especially at this age.

What should we do? She wrote an email to the teacher basically saying enough is enough. I agree that I'm tired of my child being bullied and having this kid interact with her. But I also am realistic and want to push for a reasonable solution.
What in god's name is wrong with you? Someone is assaulting and now sexually assaulting your daughter, and your response is an email. No wonder your daughter is being bullied, her parents have no spine, how can she be expected to stand for herself when the example at home is we'll send an email?

You need to be on top of the principal, superintendent, teacher, counselor, etc...if it doesn't work, your lawyer needs to be the bane of their existence.

As for your daughter, she needs confidence, she is not getting it from you guys, so perhaps a self-defense class, so she can protect herself. Newsflash....if someone is assaulting you it is perfectly reasonable to physically defend yourself...THERE IS NO REASON TO TOLERATE SOMEONE ASSAULTING OR BULLYING YOU! That is a lesson that needs to instilled in her and apparently you.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,119,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We had a bully in my son's kindergarten class. We went to the teacher multiple times and she just didn't handle it appropriately so we ultimately went to administration. Turns out the teacher was new and didn't know how to deal with it. The guidance counselor got involved and the bullying subsided a lot. We kept talking to our son about how to react when it happens and to have empathy because something is going on with the other child at home. Turns out the parents were in the middle of a brutal divorce that the child was being dragged into and he was just mimicking the behavior he saw at home.
I am impressed with your assertive and compassionate approach to a difficult situation. Good job mom!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,457,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
She wrote an email to the teacher basically saying enough is enough.
Like that's going to do anything?

You, as a parent, have to go in person to the school and tell them what is going on, and threaten legal action if nothing is done.

Email. Jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting