Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Call me pedantic, but am I the only one tired of people making Mother's Day into other holidays? You know, single dads who are doing it all should be acknowledged on MOTHER'S Day, and I'm even seeing persons trying to make the day about people who have pets.

To me everything belongs in its proper place and the name means EVERYTHING. In like manner I never give birthday gifts to my son on his sister's birthday, he deserves nothing because IT'S NOT HIS BIRTHDAY. So he feels bad, so what? Is it her birthday or his, or both? If it's both of their birthdays, then CALL it that, but if it's HER birthday then it's HER birthday. To me this is the same thing.

I'm a father and I like being acknowledged for what I do, but that's what FATHER'S DAY is for. If pet lovers want a "Happy Pet Lover's Day" that's fine but Mother's Day is MOTHER'S DAY and NOTHING ELSE.

Why can't they just leave the holiday alone?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
When is it ever a bad thing to let people know you think they're special?

Funny about your post - I had a favorite aunt who sent gifts to the birthday child, and in the box would also be a very small token gift to the other siblings. When I grew up and had kids, she did the same thing for them. What an endearing thing to do! A little gift, with a note that said, "To Jim on Steve's birthday" etc. Very sweet.

And funny. I used to send her mothers day cards every year. She wasn't my mom - she was my aunt, and she never had kids of her own.

I don't see that's wrong.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
On mother's day this year I got chastized by an older relative for posting pictures of presents we got our daughter. Apparently, she felt the same way you did. She also probably felt pretty dumb when I pointed out to her, that not only was it mother's day but it was also my daughter's actual birthday. HOW DARE SHE BE BORN IN THE MIDDLE OF MAY!!

Oh, and after my parents were gone and I was raising my siblings, they would get me a card, or give me the present they made in class or whatever. HOW DARE THEY! I guess I should have thrown my 6 yo sisters mothers day presents in the garbage because, you know, I don't DESERVE them, right?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Call me pedantic, but am I the only one tired of people making Mother's Day into other holidays? You know, single dads who are doing it all should be acknowledged on MOTHER'S Day, and I'm even seeing persons trying to make the day about people who have pets.

To me everything belongs in its proper place and the name means EVERYTHING. In like manner I never give birthday gifts to my son on his sister's birthday, he deserves nothing because IT'S NOT HIS BIRTHDAY. So he feels bad, so what? Is it her birthday or his, or both? If it's both of their birthdays, then CALL it that, but if it's HER birthday then it's HER birthday. To me this is the same thing.

I'm a father and I like being acknowledged for what I do, but that's what FATHER'S DAY is for. If pet lovers want a "Happy Pet Lover's Day" that's fine but Mother's Day is MOTHER'S DAY and NOTHING ELSE.

Why can't they just leave the holiday alone?
So am I correct in assuming this is not something that is affecting you or your life directly?

Then I'd suggest you MYOB.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 PM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
I agree, mothers day is just that. End of story. You want to be celibrated on mothers day than become a mother. If you feel left out oh well, get over it.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
I agree, mothers day is just that. End of story. You want to be celibrated on mothers day than become a mother. If you feel left out oh well, get over it.
Exactly. As I explained to someone in another post I'm being pedantic which is a quality I'm proud of. Things belong in their proper place, if that means the recognition of something gets left out and someone feels hurt then tough luck. Things going in their proper place is drastically more important.

I'm a father but I wasn't grumbling about my recognition regarding my father roles yesterday, that is what Father's Day is for, and that goes for single fathers too. When my day comes around, I don't want to hear A WORD about mothers, they had their day. Again I told my kids GET OVER IT on the occasion when they whined about getting nothing on their sibling's birthday. It's not their birthday, if they get even one single "token" gift AT ALL then the birthday of the one is rendered moot and irrelevant. If by chance an aunt or someone gives a gift to the "wrong" one I'm nice about it but I then put it up in storage and they get it when it's actually their birthday.

There's too much "blurring the lines" these days with such things to where the categories don't even matter anymore. It's silly. I'm surprised people aren't advocating celebrating the 4th of July in February, or saying that Veteran's Day should also be for the employers and pets of the actual soldiers. Maybe my cat can be honored on Grandparent's Day since it has cats and those cats had cats. I mean where does it end? Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-16-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Exactly. As I explained to someone in another post I'm being pedantic which is a quality I'm proud of. Things belong in their proper place, if that means the recognition of something gets left out then tough luck. Things going in their proper place is drastically more important.

I'm a father but I wasn't grumbling about my father roles yesterday, that is what Father's Day is for. When my day comes around, I don't want to hear A WORD about mothers, they had their day. Again I am PROUD for how I tell my kids GET OVER IT on the occasion when they whined about getting nothing on their sibling's birthday. It's not their birthday, if they get even one single "token" gift AT ALL then the birthday of the one is rendered moot and irrelevant.
Cool, I am sure you're children are super grateful they have a father who embraces being a pedant. I mean there is absolutely no downside right?

Meanwhile, who cares if you want everything a certain way? You are in charge of exactly one person, you. Why you think your opinion on the subject is meaningful enough to warrant its own thread I have no idea.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Cool, I am sure you're children are super grateful they have a father who embraces being a pedant. I mean there is absolutely no downside right?

Meanwhile, who cares if you want everything a certain way? You are in charge of exactly one person, you. Why you think your opinion on the subject is meaningful enough to warrant its own thread I have no idea.
I know I'm in charge of one person me but I have every right to state what I think of something which is put out there. If a given person doesn't want my opinion, then what I'd say to them is don't trumpet your (not you're) ideology only to then become upset when I say, somewhat tactfully I'd hope, what I think of it.

I dislike exceptions to the rule because it makes things ambiguous and more disorganized and too lacking in distinction, when everything is in its proper place things are more orderly and distinct and make more logical sense. It's off topic but I'm the same way with how, for instance, people tell me that Pall Mall cigarettes are pronounced "Pell Mell" my reply is "well if they wanted me to say E they should've put an E in there and not an A and until they do so I'm pronouncing it with an A."

Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I know I'm in charge of one person me but I have every right to state what I think of something which is put out there. If a given person doesn't want my opinion, then what I'd say to them is don't trumpet your (not you're) ideology only to then become upset when I say, somewhat tactfully I'd hope, what I think of it.

I dislike exceptions to the rule because it makes things ambiguous and more disorganized and too lacking in distinction, when everything is in its proper place things are more orderly and distinct and make more logical sense. It's off topic but I'm the same way with how, for instance, people tell me that Pall Mall cigarettes are pronounced "Pell Mell" my reply is "well if they wanted me to say E they should've put an E in there and not an A and until they do so I'm pronouncing it with an A."
Sure you have a right to your opinion, but it is beyond ironic, becoming hypocritical to demand your right to your opinion and its expression, but not other people's right to celebrate holidays as they see fit.

So your opinions are sacrosanct and everyone else needs to follow them. That isn't pedantic btw. If you are all about rules, please keep in mind that it is a social more (aka rule) to keep your opinions to yourself unless asked. So please, start observing that rule. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:50 PM

92 posts, read 83,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting