Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Seriously? Entitlement?

They raised her and brought her into this world. She should be more appreciative.

This is one of the things that I really hate about my generation (yes, I'm a millennial that treats his parents well).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Quite frankly, you sound like an awful and selfish daughter. I would never treat my parents the way you apparently treat yours.

Since this thread is not about me, I will let your insult go. I don't care what you think of me, you apparently glossed over all the issues of how incredibly toxic & negative my parents are. Of course they think they were fantastic parents LOL. Since I'm not a millenial & I've been around awhile, I learned decades ago, not to waste my time & energy around negative, toxic, narcissistic people. I'm quite ok with that choice. Since you know nothing of my situation, your rudeness says a lot more about you, than it does about me!

As for the whole, "they brought her into this world", I've never understood that argument. Children do not ask to be born. They don't owe their parents anything. People have kids primarily for selfish reasons (not selfish in a negative way, but for reasons having to do with fulfillment of THEIR own selves). I firmly believe that kids don't owe their parents appreciation or respect, unless they've earned it. The fact that they gave birth &/or raised the kids is their responsibility when they chose to become parents, it is not a free pass to respect, admiration or appreciation.

I find it interesting that OP is glossing over the posts that have made no mention of the car, but have repeatedly asked about how he treats his daughter? What his attitude towards her is, etc. No parent is perfect, but if she really has no desire to spend even 10 minutes with you, it may well be that OP is coming off as judgemental, demanding, butting into her business, telling her how to behave or offering unsolicited advice. He may be having a hard time cutting those apron strings & since she is no longer a child, it may be quite irritating & frustrating to her. I know it was for me, when I was that age. OTOH, many have pointed out, it may be that absolutely nothing is wrong & she's just being a normal 20yo, who should not be regularly socializing with her parents & who has a life of her own.

It's interesting that the OP has shown no sense of self reflection or self analysis abt his behavior towards his daughter, at least that he's posted here. The fact that he is seemingly unwilling to reflect on his own behavior may have a lot to do with why she doesn't want to hang out with him any more than necessary.

Last edited by MsMetal; 06-22-2017 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So now i am the purveyor of lies and fake facts? ,where have i heard this line of rationale/drivel? oh yeah i remember.
Not that its relevant but to add to the inquisition Daughter Number two is enrolled in Canadas premier college for technology the British Columbia Institute of Technology and is in the final stages of earning a degree in computer engineering.
Your right, that isn't relevant. Did your oldest daughter not go to college? Is that part of what makes daughter #2 the perfect daughter, because she went to college?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Bottom line is your daughter knows the reason. We don't. Could be she is just a busy young person. Could be that she doesn't enjoy your company. Could be that you weren't the great parent you think you were. All we can do is guess. That doesn't help you.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Bottom line is your daughter knows the reason. We don't. Could be she is just a busy young person. Could be that she doesn't enjoy your company. Could be that you weren't the great parent you think you were. All we can do is guess. That doesn't help you.
So succint! That's the bottom line. +1

Old 06-22-2017, 06:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Your right, that isn't relevant. Did your oldest daughter not go to college? Is that part of what makes daughter #2 the perfect daughter, because she went to college?
Daughter #1 went to college and got a masters degree in Environmental science, both kids have been given all financial help needed to fulfill their education.
Sunday you are starting to look for agendas that are trying to fit a falsely conceived narrative.
Just because i have some issues with daughter #1s social involvement with Mom and Dad doesnt make her any less perfect than daughter #2.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Thus the reason for the topic to get other opinions on my situation.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Daughter #1 went to college and got a masters degree in Environmental science, both kids have been given all financial help needed to fulfill their education.
Sunday you are starting to look for agendas that are trying to fit a falsely conceived narrative.
Just because i have some issues with daughter #1s social involvement with Mom and Dad doesnt make her any less perfect than daughter #2.
I'm not looking for an agenda or trying to create a false narrative. I was simply asking why your younger daughter being in college was being brought up in a discussion about your oldest daughter.

Calling daughter #2 "everything a parent could want" and saying daughter #1 is a "lesson in frustration", "spoiled rotten", a "selfish brat", and a "self absorbed jerk" doesn't sound like you think #1 is any less perfect than #2.

Quote:
Daughter number 2 is everything a parent could want, she enjoys our company when in town ,texts every day to see how we are doing,emails pics,and call several times a week.
Daughter number one is a lesson in frustration to a parent as it points to a child that was given everything but ended up not liking her parents.
Quote:
I asked my wife what she thinks of our daughters behavior her response maybe right on the money, the kid has been spoiled rotten all her life and has grown up to be a selfish little brat.
Quote:
Self absorbed jerk? you might have hit the nail on the head with that descriptor.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Your question was "where did I go wrong?" How in the hell would we know that?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Your question was "where did I go wrong?" How in the hell would we know that?
Every time someone tries to answer that very question, you get defensive and say we're making stuff up. We're making stuff up because we can't possibly know the answer to your question.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Quote:
But, as Kibbiekat said "All we can do is guess." We on CD will never know the real reason, we can speculate for weeks and come up with wilder and wilder guesses (she's on drugs, her psychic/BF/cat/neighbor tells her to stay away, she has a serious health issue/is transgender/mentally ill/an alien but is afraid to tell you) but only your daughter knows the real reason.

BTW, yes, I do have children, ages 34 and 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting