Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 968 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I had the whole post typed out but my phone died and lost it so I will just ask. Girl I talked to from a dating site lost interest after I made myself look dumb long story short. I tried to get her to give me another chance by sending orchids on Valentine's Day but that didn't work out. We never met in person. This was 3-4 years ago, and she has been single since (still friends on FB). She is 25 now, since the original profile she has always been clear that she is looking for the man she will marry.

She is very close with her mom, I have seen them at the store a few times now and always avoid her seeing me. I have also seen her mom at the store alone at lunch time. Never said anything to her but I am considering giving this one last shot. This time talking to her in person.

My question is, next time I see the mom at lunch (this happens more often) I am thinking about asking her how her daughter is, if she is still single, when she says that her daughter is still single I would ask her if we could talk some time when she's free. Basically I want to explain what happened years ago and why I think it's worth a shot to see if I can get another chance if I met her in person. Note that I have always gotten along with my gfs parents very well so I am sure that I could atleast get her to think about this. Ideally she'd want to help me by giving me any pointers she could. If she did want to help me then Id suggest maybe she text me when they are going to the store and I will "accidentally" see them there and ask the girl out in front of her mom and afterwards the mom would tell her to give it a shot.

I know that it's not as simple as it sounds but I'm asking if I should try to get the mom on my side beforehand or just wait until I see the girl again and then try to talk to her in person, giving it one last shot before I forget about her completely. I just want to have the best odds that it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
It sounds kind of weird and creepy, to be honest. You should just try to talk to her in person, leave the mom out of it totally. If it doesn't work, then leave the girl alone after that.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:48 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Oh, no, keep mom out of it. That is not something to do. It will just make things worse. If you still want to ask this girl out, try having some sort of casual conversations on Facebook.

If she's willing to converse with you, you can gradually try to get her to develop a potential dating interest in you. But this has to be with her and you- keep everyone else out of it. If she is not interested, then just move on. Some things are just not meant to be.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Hell no.

First, chasing after a woman like this is a big turn off to many of them. You're making yourself look like a puppy dog and that isn't a desirably characteristic in a mate.

Second, her mom? No. Bad idea. Actually, really bad idea. Most twenty something's couldn't care less who mom or dad think they should date. Trying to get in with Mom might of been cute in grammar school but in adult world that is creepy stuff.

Third, if you really want a shot with any woman you have to realize one thing. If she ain't interested, there isn't much you're going to be able to do to change her mind.

In the unlikely event she is on the cusp, playing it cool and being a friend without leaving a puddle of drool or puddles of excited pee at her feet like a dog with excitement issues is best.

That means, chill on the flowers and chocolates / boyfriend stuff She knows you dig her already. Try and show yourself to be more than wanting her to like you. Be yourself, date other woman, do some online dating and if it ends up working out with her in the end great! If not, be who you are and don't try and push a woman to like you like that.

Sooner you get past the crush part the better of you'll be in the long run. If she likes you it won't be because of flowers. Flowers are great after you bed her down and want to show her you're serious. Sending flowers when you've already stepped on your dick and have been watching her like a lost puppy isn't a turn on. It's sweet in that awkward sort of way. Timing is everything.

Last edited by aridon; 07-28-2017 at 04:12 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 04:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee1991 View Post
Hi everyone, I had the whole post typed out but my phone died and lost it so I will just ask. Girl I talked to from a dating site lost interest after I made myself look dumb long story short. I tried to get her to give me another chance by sending orchids on Valentine's Day but that didn't work out. We never met in person. This was 3-4 years ago, and she has been single since (still friends on FB). She is 25 now, since the original profile she has always been clear that she is looking for the man she will marry.

She is very close with her mom, I have seen them at the store a few times now and always avoid her seeing me. I have also seen her mom at the store alone at lunch time. Never said anything to her but I am considering giving this one last shot. This time talking to her in person.

My question is, next time I see the mom at lunch (this happens more often) I am thinking about asking her how her daughter is, if she is still single, when she says that her daughter is still single I would ask her if we could talk some time when she's free. Basically I want to explain what happened years ago and why I think it's worth a shot to see if I can get another chance if I met her in person. Note that I have always gotten along with my gfs parents very well so I am sure that I could atleast get her to think about this. Ideally she'd want to help me by giving me any pointers she could. If she did want to help me then Id suggest maybe she text me when they are going to the store and I will "accidentally" see them there and ask the girl out in front of her mom and afterwards the mom would tell her to give it a shot.

I know that it's not as simple as it sounds but I'm asking if I should try to get the mom on my side beforehand or just wait until I see the girl again and then try to talk to her in person, giving it one last shot before I forget about her completely. I just want to have the best odds that it works out.
No. If a man my daughter had turned down asked me to help him date her I would tell her to run away, run far away. She is her own woman, and any man who didn't respect her wishes is not good enough for her.

MOVE ON.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
creepy

Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
This whole thing reeks of desperation, and if the Mother has any common sense she will not assist you in any way shape or form. You seriously need to consider counseling of some sort if you're having trouble moving on from a girl from 3 to 4 years ago that you have never met.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Dee, get out of your chair and go see "The Big Sick". It's funny, endearing, and it will turn you off of trying to get this girl through her mother.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Let it go. The girl is a grown woman and doesn't want to date you. That's all you need to know.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It sounds kind of weird and creepy, to be honest. You should just try to talk to her in person, leave the mom out of it totally. If it doesn't work, then leave the girl alone after that.
I second this! I had a slightly older guy I had been blowing off in high school talk to my mom about dating me. For once she did the right thing! She said it was my choice.

I learned years later that she thought that he was creepy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting