Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:52 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times

Advertisements

[quote=Hobokenkitchen;3152717]I was just reading a news article on French psychiatrist and author Corinne Maier, who has written a best selling book called No Kids - 40 Reasons Not To Have Children.

In her book she states that she regrets having her 2 kids and encourages women not to have children.

God, I wonder how that makes her kids feel? Poor babies!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
If you read a lot of the threads about abortion on this forum, people think that it's only right and the responsible thing for people to keep kids and have abortion illegal.

Is it fair to raise kids knowing they're unwanted?

She probably loves her kids as best as she is able. Parenthood is not for everyone.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM

120 posts, read 390,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

No. They are my gift from God.
Curiously interesting statement. YOUR gift...YOUR gift....... YOUR gift...... from God? Gift? From God?????

It wasn't a gift, you planned it. You controlled it, through sexual intercourse, which is how babies are created. So, it's not a gift - it wasn't given to you, you did it!!!!!!!

OH YEA!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_4u View Post
Curiously interesting statement. YOUR gift...YOUR gift....... YOUR gift...... from God? Gift? From God?????

It wasn't a gift, you planned it. You controlled it, through sexual intercourse, which is how babies are created. So, it's not a gift - it wasn't given to you, you did it!!!!!!!

OH YEA!!!!
This is a very common way that loving parents express their gratitude for their children existence. No less for a man who lost two beloved family members at once to a drunk driver.
The "gift" is that the unborn child didn't die with the mother so that the poor man would have been left with nothing and no one.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_4u View Post

OH YEA!!!!
C'mon. A little tolerance towards other's beliefs won't hurt a bit.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 AM

But, doesn't it take a village to raise a child? Some not-too-raising-a-child-friendly villagers on this post

Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I just don't understand how anyone could regret having children. It is a choice and yes you end up giving something good for something great. It is nice to have the ability to take off and do as you please. When you have pets, big or small you still have more freedom than if you have children. While I think that it is great to take care of an animal that isn't the same commitment as a child. Watching a child progress through life is amazing. Watching them make decisions on their own is amazing. As parents we teach our children right from wrong, we give them a base to build from. Our kids ask for advice on whatever is ailing them. Eventually they move onto their own accomplishments and life.

My wife and I have five sons and a daughter ages 16 years at the oldest to 19 months at the youngest. (Our little girl is child #6) While we have many years to go and chances are one or more of them will make decisions that we won't be happy with, we still love them. The main goal is that we teach them correct principles and when they are older they decide for themselves if that is how they want to live. As a parent you hoe that they choose to live a good life. In the end after doing all you can as a parent it is up to them.

I have a lot of friends that don't have kids and don't want them. That is a choice they make. Nothing wrong with a choice. They are happy doing what they do. My thought is that if they had children they would realize what they were missing. Their is a lot of joy in raising kids. We love it and though it may not be for everyone it is for us.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My first child was killed by a drunk driver. His mother, pregnant with our 2nd child was driving our car. She died giving birth to our second child.

Do I regret having my children?

No. They are my gift from God.
I have chills and tears for you. I cannot imagine going through this.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I think my children have made me a better person! I would not choose to not have kids if I could have a re-do. Nope never!
children enlighten your life in ways you could never imagine. They are the light and love of god.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:23 AM

If I didn't marry and have a child I'd probably be dead today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting