Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,207,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It is true that this is done in other culture's. It just reinforces the fact that people need to be totally aware of what the laws ans cultural norms are when they immigrate....and then assimilate.

I agree, although at the time she was a foreign student and not an immigrant. It takes times to learn all the laws of a country you are visiting or new to, but since there was no such law that a baby can't be left outside in a pram while you watched from the window I don't think it's fair for people to be so harsh. She didn't deserve to be strip searched.

Cultural norms are often different from state to state and also change over time in the USA and back in the 90's parents did a lot of things parents wouldn't do now and vice versa. Some parents now spend so much time on their cell phones and children are paying the price.
Parenting and Cell Phones: Science Shows the Harms Of Digital Distraction | Time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,231,285 times
This happened in May of 1997 and she wants an apology. Did the restaurant, Dallas BBQ, have
outdoor seating at that time? If so, why couldn't she and her husband sit out there with the
baby?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-left-outside

Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,207,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
This happened in May of 1997 and she wants an apology. Did the restaurant, Dallas BBQ, have
outdoor seating at that time? If so, why couldn't she and her husband sit out there with the
baby?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-left-outside

Yes owed an apology by the police department for overreacting and filing dubious charges and then conducting a humiliating strip search.

The vitriolic hatred by many of the judgmental public and abuse at the hands of the police far exceeded the perceived crime of neglect.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Anti-capitalist? No. Anti criminals cashing in on their illegal actions? Yup.
What crime did she commit, let alone get convicted of?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:45 AM

People overreacted and still are overreacting. It isn't a big deal, all that needed to happen was for the police to tell her "we don't leave children outside of restaurants here". That should have been the end of the story.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What crime did she commit, let alone get convicted of?
Child endangerment. Had it gone to trial she would have lost. If this is the case I remember, and I do think it is the right one, multiple other patrons of the restaurant and workers at the restaurant told or asked her to bring the child in with wildly varying degrees of politeness.
Quote:
People overreacted and still are overreacting. It isn't a big deal, all that needed to happen was for the police to tell her "we don't leave children outside of restaurants here". That should have been the end of the story.
The problem, again if I remember the story correctly, was that in addition to arguing with the various patrons and workers, she got argumentative and used it as an opportunity to espouse on the horrors of American parenting styles and American gestapo mentality while the police were trying to talk to her. The original responding officers ended up calling in a supervisor. None of this would have happened if she had just wheeled the stroller into the spot the restaurant workers had cleared for it after she told them lack of space was why she was leaving the baby outside.

She won a settlement because they strip searched her, which was ridiculous and uncalled for, and failed to notify her she had a right to call her consulate since she wasn't an American citizen. It had nothing to do with the legitimacy of the charges against her.

If she publishes her story I don't doubt some of those aggravated patrons and workers will find their way back out of obscurity to tell the other side of the story.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Child endangerment. Had it gone to trial she would have lost.
No she wouldn't have. That is why they dropped the charges. Similar case in Massachusetts, another foreign student that time from Sweden, and they also dropped the charges.

Quote:
If this is the case I remember, and I do think it is the right one, multiple other patrons of the restaurant and workers at the restaurant told or asked her to bring the child in with wildly varying degrees of politeness.
The problem, again if I remember the story correctly, was that in addition to arguing with the various patrons and workers, she got argumentative and used it as an opportunity to espouse on the horrors of American parenting styles and American gestapo mentality while the police were trying to talk to her. The original responding officers ended up calling in a supervisor. None of this would have happened if she had just wheeled the stroller into the spot the restaurant workers had cleared for it after she told them lack of space was why she was leaving the baby outside.
None of that has anything to do with child endangerment. Either being outside (in eyesight btw) is child endangerment or not. Arguing with patrons or going on a rant is not child endangerment and has nothing to do with whether or not she committed a crime.

Quote:
She won a settlement because they strip searched her, which was ridiculous and uncalled for, and failed to notify her she had a right to call her consulate since she wasn't an American citizen. It had nothing to do with the legitimacy of the charges against her.

If she publishes her story I don't doubt some of those aggravated patrons and workers will find their way back out of obscurity to tell the other side of the story.
The legitimacy of the charges against her are demonstrated by the fact they were DROPPED. Her settlement just shows that she was falsely arrested.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:49 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
No she wouldn't have. That is why they dropped the charges. Similar case in Massachusetts, another foreign student that time from Sweden, and they also dropped the charges.
I don't think the Swedish student was told it was against the law. If I remember correctly this lady was.

Quote:
None of that has anything to do with child endangerment. Either being outside (in eyesight btw) is child endangerment or not. Arguing with patrons or going on a rant is not child endangerment and has nothing to do with whether or not she committed a crime.
It does if she was made aware there was a danger to the child and refused to act on it.

Quote:
The legitimacy of the charges against her are demonstrated by the fact they were DROPPED. Her settlement just shows that she was falsely arrested.
Oh, please. Charges get dropped all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with the legitimacy of the charges. Things like knowing an illegal strip search happened in conjunction with the arrest or knowing any verdict will be throw out due to police error, such as failing to notify the arrested person that they have a right to call their consulate, are certainly reasonable explanations why a legitimate charge would be dropped. Aside from which, again if this is the case I remember, part of the deal for the charges being dropped was that she HAD to leave to country.

Her settlement, which was significantly less than she oringinally sued for, shows the police took actions that were either illegal or unconstitutional, not whether she was innocent or not.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Actually, it turns out that based on your posts here, you're anti-capitalist. She is simply telling her story. She was never convicted of a crime. Even if she was, many people who were convicted write about their stories to make a living. The thing about capitalism... if you don't like the product, don't purchase it. But don't shove your anti-capitalistic views down everyone's throats like you are doing here.
Nope, I'm not anti-capitalist. I'm anti-criminal cashing in on their crimes. I'm not shoving anything down anyone's throat, but nice try.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I read the article. She was arrested but all charges were dropped . So your statement " Anti criminals cashing in on their illegal actions?" Isn't valid .

They violated her rights and she won her lawsuit. She is not a criminal and lives in another country with her husband and two children. Liv attends college and will design the English book cover for her mother.
They dropped the charges if she agreed to leave the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting