Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:13 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times

Advertisements

My 17 yr old son wants to go on a trip to an annual event across the country this summer. His big brother goes every year and wants to show him around this year. This would also give him an opportunity to see aunts, uncles and cousins that he hasn't seen in a long time.

We said he could go if he meets certain expectations; good grades, good attitude, competing chores etc.

Well, he hasn't been meeting these expectations.

My friends think I should send him anyway for these reasons:

- He is 17 years old and he will be joining the Navy next year. This may be his last opportunity to see these relatives for a LONG time.

- It's a bonding opportunity with his brother

- I should be able to find another inducement/punishment for his grades, attitude.

I should also say that his attitude hasn't been THAT bad and he has made improvements. We are just pretty strict about that kind of thing.

Curious to see what all y'all think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
My question to you is:
What exactly are you going to teach him if you let him go and he has not met the requirements?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
He still has a few weeks to straighten up and fly right or he does not go.

I foresee a problem with the Navy if he cannot meet your requirements to go on the trip.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:26 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
He still has a few weeks to straighten up and fly right or he does not go.

I foresee a problem with the Navy if he cannot meet your requirements to go on the trip.

Yeah, that's part of the reason we have been so strict with him. His brother knows what the Navy will be expecting of him. We are trying to prepare him for that. They aren't really major things. Getting himself up when his alarm goes off. Shaving every single day. Doing his chores. He has done better than he was doing a month ago.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Yes, he should go. I never withheld things from my kids as punishment that I thought were otherwise positive things.

This sounds like a really fabulous trip with a lot of plusses.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
At this point, he's practically an adult. What you haven't instilled, the Navy will. Let him go.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:41 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I think it was a mistake to put on those pretty loose expectations. Its asking for him to "fail". I think you can have a parenting re-do on this and work it out with your son.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 PM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
Op, from my experience as a high school teacher for 10 years, the most antagonistic period between parent and child is the child’s senior year. The most glaring reasons were the following:
1. Senior sees senior year as the last hoorah with his high school friends - parents sees the senior year as the last chance to spend as much time with him as possible and try to cling on as much as possible. Parents try to squeeze in every second with their child, but their child wants to spend all his time with friends and doing senior year things.
2. Parents still treat their senior as a middle schooler with crazy amounts of rules. Senior thinks he Is mature enough to make more decisions regarding himself.
3. Parents try to squeeze in every last minute life lesson before the senior launches into college. The senior thinks he’s ready to make his own life and doesn’t want to hear it.

I think you should let your son go. Your job is done as a guardian is done. Now is the time to transition into his mentor/consigliere.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Let him go. The infractions you mentioned aren't major. He will probably never get this chance again. He will remember the experience for the rest of his life.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:18 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Is this REALLY the way you want to spend your last months with your son before he leaves home for good?

Arguing about shaving and waking up when the alarm goes off?

That's pretty minor stuff and very typical for a 17 year old. He's not doing drugs, in a gang, or out all night drinking. It sounds like he's on track to graduate H.S., and he has shown enough maturity to make plans for his life after graduation.

Let him go on the trip. Give him (and you) something GOOD to remember about his last months living at home with you.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-28-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting