Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times

Advertisements

It was their error, not yours. I don't understand the embarrassment, and I really don't understand the thought of changing doctors. You take your daughter to her appointment, mention it briefly. Say something like, "Wow, I must have really been more stressed out than normal. I didn't even realize it" and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:59 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Come on people - although embarrassing that the police were called - there obviously was something in the message that caused concern - whether it be poor phone reception that distorted words or whatever. A wellness call would be much more effective in the case of a medical emergency than a call back from the dr's office.

I'm confused as the OP says she called and the police came to her home but then says that she placed the phone calls from her office and was speaking low so as not to disturb those around her.

OP what time frame are we talking about? Did you leave the messages while at work and then once you got home - the police came? If those messages were left earlier in the day and not reviewed until later by the office staff - the right call would have been immediately to call the police for a wellness check rather than a call back. If something had happened - you needed help immediately.

Be grateful someone cared enough to be concerned and call the police. I've had patients lay with broken hips for up to 5 days as no one checked on them.
Hi there you are correct about the timeline. I left the messages around 1 p.m. at work. The police were sent to my home and I encountered them when I returned and this was most likely 6 p.m. Apparently they had stopped by earlier and talked to my neighbor since I was not home.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:06 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Why would you be embarrassed if you did nothing wrong?
I'm not the OP, but I get completely why she was embarrassed. It is the idea that somebody thinks (albeit wrongly) that you're off your rocker to such a degree that you require a welfare check by the police.

I realize this wouldn't phase a lot of people, but perceptions are very important to some. So, like the OP, I would feel embarrassed about the situation even if I was not in the wrong.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm not the OP, but I get completely why she was embarrassed. It is the idea that somebody thinks (albeit wrongly) that you're off your rocker to such a degree that you require a welfare check by the police.

I realize this wouldn't phase a lot of people, but perceptions are very important to some. So, like the OP, I would feel embarrassed about the situation even if I was not in the wrong.
Thank you very much for writing this post, it actually sums up exactly why I am embarrassed but was unable to put in words. I am such a normal low-key person and I care, I suppose maybe too much, that I am at least making a decent impression on those around me. I have this horrible feeling that even once we move past this, there will be those in the dr office with these now tinged memories of my Persona if that makes sense haha. Also I am the epitome of a goody-two-shoes, so having the police come to my door is something that rocks my world.
I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that once the surgery and follow-ups are done, I should not have to see any of these people again.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:15 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
If it were me, I would call or go in and ask to speak to the Office Manager, describe the situation, and ask to hear the voicemail. Hopefully, it's still available and will give you quick Yes/No answer to shed light on what they did. You should definitely seek an explanation here and not feel bad about doing so. As someone previously stated, doctor's run their offices how they want them to be run (or at least they should), although they are not usually involved in the minutia of daily front and back office activities.

That said, keep in mind the most important thing is your daughter and getting her a good outcome. If you've been satisfied with this surgeon's care in the past, and this is a one off event, then the very best thing for continuity of care is to stick with him. Finding and scheduling with a new Pediatric Orthopedic surgeon and getting your ducks in a row with records and imaging could be relatively easy, or a nightmare depending on a variety of factors.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

I get it too, but lost in all of the OP’s embarrassment is the fact that her daughter still is not getting the care she needs from the doc.

Go down there Monday, demand answers and get the procedure scheduled. After that treatment is complete find another doc.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
If it's any consolation, OP, walking in there with your head held high and asking for an explanation (politely, of course) might cause a little embarrassment for the receptionist or nurse who made the call, too. Seriously, though, at its core, this is a good thing. Rightly or wrongly, they were worried, which indicates a high level of vigilance and means your daughter is likely to receive excellent care. I'd stick with the doctor and try to shrug it off. It may be hard to believe right now, but you'll probably laugh about this in a few months.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-05-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 05-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Since it's now a weekend and the docs office is likely closed, I'd call the police office and ask who made the call in the first place. Was it the doctor? Was it a new receptionist you've never heard of?

I think there's almost any possibility here, but I'm leaning toward this call was transcribed into a written form by the phone/computer, and it's bizarre. I've had voice messages left that when I read them on my phone they're absolute nonsense, because the system is kind of "guessing" what the caller is saying.

And I'd get the police follow-up report to the call, saying they contacted you and were unable to determine why the original police call was made.

I would NOT let this go. Because they'll think the worst.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Since it's now a weekend, I'd call the police office and ask who made the call in the first place. Was it the doctor? Was it a new receptionist you've never heard of?

I think there's almost any possibility here, but I'm leaning toward this call was transcribed into a written form by the phone/computer, and it's bizarre. I've had voice messages left that when I read them on my phone they're absolute nonsense, because the system is kind of "guessing" what the caller is saying.

And I'd get the police follow-up report to the call, saying they contacted you and were unable to determine why the original police call was made.

I would NOT let this go. Because they'll think the worst.
Do you really think the police are going to give out that information? And what difference does it make who made the call? It was made under the auspices of the physician's office.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do you really think the police are going to give out that information? And what difference does it make who made the call? It was made under the auspices of the physician's office.
Yes, I do think they will do that.

If you call a welfare check in on someone, from a doctor's office, yes, they will give you the information on who made the initial call.

This isn't like someone calling to report child abuse.

This is a welfare check, made from a physician's office.

Yes. They have that, and will give that info. They already told her the doctor's office called.

And it does matter who called, IMHO. Is it the new receptionist who doesn't know that the call is transcribed to written text, if that's what happened? Does the doc even know the police call was made for one of his patient's parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting