Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Seriously? My kids went on lots of field trips in elemenatry school in particular to places such as museums, the post office, a walk to several historic sites in our town including a coal mine burning underground, various parks and open space areas for environmental educaiton, etc. Schools generally have libraries.

Confirmation bias. I have a friend who took her kids out of church (Catholic) schools because it turned out the public schools were ahead in math.

First bold: How did you know this? Did you observe the schools in your district? There was some of that time in my kids' kindergarten, but it wasn't 2 1/2 hours of that. In fact there was plenty of the bolds in the third paragraph in their kindergartens. They had a pet in a cage (can't remember what type of animal now).

The problem with those ideas is that there won't be many kids his age at these activities as they are in school. It will be mostly younger kids during the daytime hours.

My kids had some home-schoolers in their gymnastics program. They had a hard time with waiting their turn, not always being the center of attention, etc. It works both ways, and frankly, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what a museum guide or whoever said. They were just trying to be nice, probably said the same thing but opposite to the school classes, if it ever came up.

im sorry but teacher /student ratio in a public school is way out there and you who send your kids to public school cannot seriously think that they get the same one on one attention as with a church school or private school if you do you are dillusional . Look at what is really going on in the public school system .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 12:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry but teacher /student ratio in a public school is way out there and you who send your kids to public school cannot seriously think that they get the same one on one attention as with a church school or private school if you do you are dillusional . Look at what is really going on in the public school system .
What I can find for my kids' entire elementary school is a student/teacher ratio of 19/1. Another close-by school is 18/1. I can't find anything for K. For the local Catholic school it is 16/1 and that includes a Pre-school where I believe the ratios are set lower by law. That's very comparable.
https://www.zillow.com/louisville-co...school-132649/
https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdereval...her-ratios-pdf

You can find ratios all over the place in the public schools in CO. That's probably true of the religious schools as well. Some quite expensive private schools have lower ratios. This one is 12:1. https://www.zillow.com/boulder-co/sc...school-123282/

This one is grades 7-12 and is 7:1.
https://www.dawsonschool.org/page/about-us/at-a-glance

13: 1 for K-12, most likely increasing as the kids get older.
https://www.niche.com/k12/faith-chri...emy-arvada-co/

Old 08-18-2018, 12:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
When I run into people who home school their kids I write off the whole bunch as screwballs and screwballs in creation. No doubt they’re not all screwballs though, my loss.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
What I can find for my kids' entire elementary school is a student/teacher ratio of 19/1. Another close-by school is 18/1. I can't find anything for K. For the local Catholic school it is 16/1 and that includes a Pre-school where I believe the ratios are set lower by law. That's very comparable.
https://www.zillow.com/louisville-co...school-132649/
https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdereval...her-ratios-pdf

You can find ratios all over the place in the public schools in CO. That's probably true of the religious schools as well. Some quite expensive private schools have lower ratios. This one is 12:1. https://www.zillow.com/boulder-co/sc...school-123282/

This one is grades 7-12 and is 7:1.
https://www.dawsonschool.org/page/about-us/at-a-glance

13: 1 for K-12, most likely increasing as the kids get older.
https://www.niche.com/k12/faith-chri...emy-arvada-co/
I’v noticed that those numbers are rarely accurate. 25 to 30 kids per classroom is much more realistic. Some schools have money for paras, others don’t so the adult/child ratio per classroom can vary wquite a bit.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:47 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
My advice is to spend some time in the "teachers" forum and see how they discuss kids that are difficult to deal with. If you can handle the way he'll most likely be thought of, and dealt with, then send him to school. If not, then you'll homeschool, or online school him as an in-between option. A lot of teachers don't like having kids like that and don't like dealing with their parents. I mean, who would if you had a class full of kids? I can understand it to some degree. I was one of those kids and it wasn't pleasant for me or the teachers.

A lot of teachers seem stressed out because of all the kids and their degrees of difficulty, 504 plans, IEP's and then there is the undiagnosed. They write notes and pass them on to the next teacher. It's hard to shake being the "difficult kid" once it starts.

You can continue in school until you get the meetings with the teacher requesting an ADHD evaluation, or similar talks about behavior, failure to listen, failure to thrive, etc. Then maybe suggesting some meds via a doctor visit, etc, or special programs. Then you can decide.

Who knows, maybe he'll calm down and it won't be a problem down the road. Might as well give it a try. You'll know if it's going to become a constant problem.
Trust me.

There are a lot more homeschooled kids now because the schools are getting less accepting of kids behaviors as normal, and labeling them as "mental problems." It used to be mostly a religious thing, now it's a last resort thing. You have to do something if you don't want your kids to be labeled and go nowhere.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 08-18-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 02:49 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When I run into people who home school their kids I write off the whole bunch as screwballs and screwballs in creation. No doubt they’re not all screwballs though, my loss.
Ha ha, that's not really funny but yeah, nice to see I'm not making people like you up. lol

You do exist.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’v noticed that those numbers are rarely accurate. 25 to 30 kids per classroom is much more realistic. Some schools have money for paras, others don’t so the adult/child ratio per classroom can vary wquite a bit.
If so, that would be true across the board, public, private and parochial alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
My advice is to spend some time in the "teachers" forum and see how they discuss kids that are difficult to deal with. If you can handle the way he'll most likely be thought of, and dealt with, then send him to school. If not, then you'll homeschool, or online school him as an in-between option. A lot of teachers don't like having kids like that and don't like dealing with their parents. I mean, who would if you had a class full of kids? I can understand it to some degree. I was one of those kids and it wasn't pleasant for me or the teachers.

A lot of teachers seem stressed out because of all the kids and their degrees of difficulty, 504 plans, IEP's and then there is the undiagnosed. They write notes and pass them on to the next teacher. It's hard to shake being the "difficult kid" once it starts.

You can continue in school until you get the meetings with the teacher requesting an ADHD evaluation, or similar talks about behavior, failure to listen, failure to thrive, etc. Then maybe suggesting some meds via a doctor visit, etc, or special programs. Then you can decide.

Who knows, maybe he'll calm down and it won't be a problem down the road. Might as well give it a try. You'll know if it's going to become a constant problem.
Trust me.

There are a lot more homeschooled kids now because the schools are getting less accepting of kids behaviors as normal, and labeling them as "mental problems." It used to be mostly a religious thing, now it's a last resort thing. You have to do something if you don't want your kids to be labeled and go nowhere.
I think some of the teachers are just venting here and are not like that IRL. Do you have some documentation that homeschooling is increasing in any kind of big way?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:11 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
In 2007, the U.S. Department of Education reported that the number of homeschooling students had climbed from 850,000 in 1999 to 1.1 million in 2003. (Fagan, 2007)
https://www.thoughtco.com/why-homesc...e-rise-1832549

Quote:
. In early 2016, I estimated that were about 2.3 million home-educated students in the United States at that time, and that the homeschool population had been continuing to grow at an estimated 2% to 8% per annum over the previous few years.[10] From all indications (e.g., the data in this report and other research), homeschooling numbers are continuing to grow, and future research will tell us more on this topic.
https://www.nheri.org/homeschool-pop...-size-growing/

https://nces.ed.gov/blogs/nces/post/...ing-in-the-u-s
Quote:
From 1999 to 2012, the percentage of students who were homeschooled doubled, from an estimated 1.7 percent to 3.4 percent. But that increase appears to have leveled off, according to newly released data. In 2016, about 1.7 million students (ages 5-17) were estimated to be homeschoolers, which translates to about 3.3 percent of all K-12 students.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:36 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Please document, and not from opinion articles or "mommy blogs".

My own children's experience when they were in K. K is the new 1st grade. Where we are K is full day. They do get lunch and recess but the rest of the time is spent learning in the classroom. They are expected to sit and pay attention.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:37 PM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
In all fairness, I attended public school from K-12 and struggled with math all along the way, including college.

I do think that a parent who is homeschooling who is not good at a particular subject should branch out and seek outside teachers, tutors or other opportunities to help their child or teen get what they need. I also think a parent of a public school kid should also seek tutoring or extra help as well if their child is struggling.

Agreed. A good public or private school (note the qualifier) should be able to identify when a student is really struggling and work in conjunction with the child's parent/s to develop an appropriate strategy to address that.

In the case of homeschooling, the only person available to identify a child is struggling is the parent and if that same parent is absolutely opposed to public school or afraid the district will 'take the child away' (a real fear in some circles), they may take active steps to cover up the gaps and the child will continue to flounder without any real solution or worse, cripple them educationally in the long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting