Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 AM

75 posts, read 54,567 times

Advertisements

With Christmas coming up, it reminded me of a video I watched showing many dozens of commercials from the 80s/90s and man, boys toys were WAYYYYYYY cooler than girls toys. Boys got GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT toys, etc. etc. etc. it was endless. Yet the girls got...barbies, dolls that had snot and peed and burped...really bad.

Granted, you could still buy boys toys for girls so it got me thinking, for parents that have younger daughter(s) or in the past did, what kind of toys did you get for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
With Christmas coming up, it reminded me of a video I watched showing many dozens of commercials from the 80s/90s and man, boys toys were WAYYYYYYY cooler than girls toys. Boys got GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT toys, etc. etc. etc. it was endless. Yet the girls got...barbies, dolls that had snot and peed and burped...really bad.

Granted, you could still buy boys toys for girls so it got me thinking, for parents that have younger daughter(s) or in the past did, what kind of toys did you get for them?
I'm assuming you're a Male? Of course you thought boy toys were cooler, they were what you liked. I love my barbies. I even had a little jeep for barbie. I have a 9 year old and this year she asked for american girl doll and accessories (we got the target version for 1/4 the cost). Jewelry making kits. Slime. Legos. It's not PC but girls like stereotypical girl stuff a lot, that's why its stereotypical.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
I am guessing from your handle and your post that you are male yourself. I can't think why else you would think GI Joe is cool. My daughter was never into Barbies. She was also never into the real lifeish dolls. Not into dolls really at all. She did go through a huge Hello Kitty phase. That lasted a very long time. She liked things she could DO, crafts and stuff. She got a volcano making kit that blew her mind with joy. She loved that awful moon sand stuff. We still occasionally find that stuff around and it has been almost a decade. She loved anything she could make with dough, skulpie... She liked cool stuff like the backpack that she wanted. I don't remember what was cool about it. When e got the trampoline, she was overjoyed. Long board. Cross country skiis. She also loved games. Still does. We all do.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
My daughter has two older brothers so she had access to boy toys if she wanted. She wanted things like cooking toys and American girl dolls and 'girl stuff'. She is a girly girl and always has been. I was more of a tomboy so I don't think I trained her to be like that. She's 15 now. She usually got what she asked for or we thought she would like.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
This year my 9 year old asked for "Harry Potter and shark stuff". She wasn't happy when I plugged "Shark Stuff" into Amazon and showed her the result, Shark vacuums .

My 7 year old asked for "hockey stuff. I want my whole room to be hockey".

My sister got them a Harry Potter chess set and an agility workout thing (my youngest LOVES to exercise).

In the past we've done Kiwicrate, science kits, LOTS of insect stuff for my youngest, cooking stuff, scooters, tablets, stuffed animals, etc. Mine were never into dolls.

A glimpse into our house; last night I took a video of my two girls in their hockey gloves boxing and my youngest losing her mind when my oldest called her a princess. That set her off. She got the best of her older sister who outweighs her by a good 25 lbs after that.

Last edited by Vegabern; 12-10-2018 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
My husband’s buying toys for my girls. So he bought them LEGO’s, kinetic sets, etc.. Mostly toys for building things. But we did buy a doll house, request from one kid one year. She also requested Barbie dolls for her birthday and she did gets lots of them. Very few electronic toys nor video games. We want them to do built something.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Oldest daughter was very girly...loved Trolls, toy cooking utensils, My Little Pony, Barbie anything...and books. What a bookworm. Her early favorites were Goose Bumps, Babysitters Club, the Little House books, the Rocky Ridge series (about Rose Wilder), and the Boxcar Children.

Youngest daughter's favorite toys were Tonka trucks, plastic dinosaurs, and mini Potato Heads, which she loved to play with outside in the dirt. She's now 26, and I still periodically find parts of the Mini Potato Heads (a hat or feet) when I till the garden. Closest thing she had to dolls were her stuffed bears that she called "Bed Bears". They were dressed in pink pajamas and a nightcap. Her first original "Bed Bear" was so decrepit and worn that her paternal grandparents threw it away first chance they got when they were babysitting, which upset her very much and infuriated me. Her other grandmother (my mother) found more of them at a tent sale and bought her another half dozen. She was always carrying one or two everywhere. At an early age she developed a love of art and drawing, and always begged for art supplies...paint, beads, glitter, clay, canvases, etc.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-10-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
While she did receive some Barbie, American Girl and crafty things she requested, I always made sure there were toys and games that exercised the "math" part of her brain: legos, puzzles, science stuff.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
My eleven year old daughter wants Legos. Lots and lots of Legos. She likes the Lego Elves with the dragons, so she's getting those, she also likes the Harry Potter beasts and mythical creatures Lego sets and she's getting one or two of those.

She also loves Pokemon, so she's getting an Eevee hat and blanket, and a poster.

She doesn't really fit into girl toys or big toys, she likes what she likes and we buy accordingly. Her best friend is a boy, so it makes sense that she likes boy stuff too.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I had a doll in the 80's that you fed "real" food and then she dirtied her diaper. I think she was called Baby Alive, and I thought she was really cool.

I guess I was too girly for OP? I thought the GI Joe cartoon was really stupid.

I also enjoyed my doctor kit, and legos and tinker toys and board games and books, lots and lots of books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting