Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Anyone else have a male child enrolled in dance class? I am wondering if my son would enjoy it.
What kind of dance? How old is the child? Are we talking Swing dance for a teen or pre-teen, ballet or ballroom for a 6-year-old, or what?

The youngest brother in this duo began learning when he was around 3, I think. His older brother taught himself, then decided to create an act for the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNKRm6H-qOU

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-02-2019 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What kind of dance? How old is the child?
Five years old.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My son took hip hop dance for a while. He liked it and there were other boys.
I want to clarify that I think it's fine for boys to take any kind of dance.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I want to clarify that I think it's fine for boys to take any kind of dance.
From an adult's perspective, that couldn't be more true. But no man (boy?) is an island. There's a fine line between not caring what people think and blithely ignoring your peers' opinion. And unfortunately, most young boys don't look kindly on taking dance classes. Which means being discreet about it isn't out of the question. Like in my example: enrolling a boy in a dance class outside his school district. As well as not volunteering the information, like when asked "What'ja do last night?" A generic "nothing unusual" will suffice. And it's technically true: for the boy answering the question, a dance class is "nothing unusual". And if someone finds out about the dance class and asks directly, do the 3 D's: defuse, deflect, downplay.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 PM

658 posts, read 722,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Doesnt have to be ballet lol.

There are other types of dance more geared to boys ... I always thought tap was neat. Plenty of male tappers!
Oh dear I wouldn't say that ballet is geared toward girls. There are amazing powerful male dancers all through ballet.

I mean look at Tom Holland who plays Spider-man in Avengers etc. He has learned ballet and was in the stage show for Billy Elliot and he's an amazingly athletic, strong man.

I'd never ever say that ballet is geared toward girls.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
From an adult's perspective, that couldn't be more true. But no man (boy?) is an island. There's a fine line between not caring what people think and blithely ignoring your peers' opinion. And unfortunately, most young boys don't look kindly on taking dance classes. Which means being discreet about it isn't out of the question. Like in my example: enrolling a boy in a dance class outside his school district. As well as not volunteering the information, like when asked "What'ja do last night?" A generic "nothing unusual" will suffice. And it's technically true: for the boy answering the question, a dance class is "nothing unusual". And if someone finds out about the dance class and asks directly, do the 3 D's: defuse, deflect, downplay.
That's what a teenage boy told me. He's a dancer. He's gotten flak about it from other guys at school.

I knew a boy in middle school who took ballroom dancing.. He had seen the movie Saturday Night Fever and was into disco style dancing as well. He was bullied because of this. I don't want to set my kid up to be a bully magnet. So it's a valid concern.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:00 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Why do most 5-year old's not look kindly on a boy taking a dance class?

You advocate teaching a child that being enrolled in a dance class is something that should be kept quiet like a shameful secret. Do you not see how screwed up that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's what a teenage boy told me. He's a dancer. He's gotten flak about it from other guys at school.

I knew a boy in middle school who took ballroom dancing.. He had seen the movie Saturday Night Fever and was into disco style dancing as well. He was bullied because of this. I don't want to set my kid up to be a bully magnet. So it's a valid concern.
Bullies will bully for any or no reason. If it wasn't dancing, they would have bullied him for something else. Ask yourself this, would you not enroll your son in a robotics class because he might be bullied for being a "nerd"?

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-03-2019 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 09:04 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Those little kids who perform salsa and swing dance routines on talent shows don't seem to have a problem with it. They're amazing! Although some come from a culture that supports dance for boys, but maybe others could learn from the example of such cultures. Viewed from that perspective, it's almost embarrassing, that mainstream American culture views dance as a "sissy" activity. When will the mainstream culture in this country ditch its baggage about what is appropriate activity for this or that gender? It's still clinging to a primitive, outdated norm.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:10 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Those little kids who perform salsa and swing dance routines on talent shows don't seem to have a problem with it. They're amazing! Although some come from a culture that supports dance for boys, but maybe others could learn from the example of such cultures. Viewed from that perspective, it's almost embarrassing, that mainstream American culture views dance as a "sissy" activity. When will the mainstream culture in this country ditch its baggage about what is appropriate activity for this or that gender? It's still clinging to a primitive, outdated norm.
I've noticed a shift in breaking gender stereotypes in my own school. So I do think it's happening with the newest generation especially in areas of the country that are more progressive than others.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Bullies will bully for any or no reason. If it wasn't dancing, they would have bullied him for something else. Ask yourself this, would you not enroll your son in a robotics class because he might be bullied for being a "nerd"?
That's true but to be honest, around here, the only activities accepted as being "masculine" enough for boys seems to be football or baseball.

I have also heard of boys being bullied for being mathematically gifted or playing musical instruments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting