Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that almost EVERY parent of boys now refers to them as "Buddy"? Why is that?

I actually can't stand this, and admit that it's partially because I grew up next door to a boy named Buddy, and he was a horrible, obnoxious boy. But here's my concern, and maybe I'm overthinking this. When you refer to your son as "Buddy", aren't you telling him he's on the same level as the parent? I see this all the time, a parent trying to get a little boy to do something, just saying, "Come on Buddy. Let's get in the car". Of course little "Buddy" ignores the request. I think they start viewing their parents as being on the same level as themselves, and then they don't necessarily mind the parent.

I won't refer to my boys as Buddy because they arent' my buddy. I'm the parent, they're my children, and I think too many parents try to be friends with their kids, which leads to serious behavior problems. I'll save being friends until they're adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,088 times
that buddy thing annoys me mostly because i know a guy that calls every boy and man buddy--

Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
that buddy thing annoys me mostly because i know a guy that calls every boy and man buddy--
Buddy, dude, chief, guy... they can all be annoying. I grew up with "dude" - and I've heard fathers call their sons "dude" too. I refuse to do that either.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:13 AM

269 posts, read 812,406 times
OK, you guys are reading into this waaaay too much.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post
OK, you guys are reading into this waaaay too much.
Maybe so. Anyone know a little "buddy" who grew up ok?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,988,384 times
Wow - I guess I'm one of the frequent offenders. Other than my father once asking me if I knew that the term buddy used to be derogatory when he was a kid (not certain I believe him, I will accept that it was his perception), no one else has ever said anything to me about it. I told my father I didn't know that, and then continued to use the term in his presence without a second thought because I figured I wasn't hurting anyone by using this nickname.

I use all the terms previously mentioned, include some others such as "big guy," "little man," and a few others. My son is so completely awesome (objectively so), that anything I call him is in a good tone and endearing. It is true that I am my son's father, but I don't think it is inappropriate to also foster a friendship with him since he happens to have a very mature/friendly attitude and rational perceptions about things.. well beyond his preschooler years, well beyond the capabilities of most others a few years older than him. He knows to obey me if we have a difference of opinion, but I value his perspective on things and frequently ask for it. Go figure, I guess I'm just very fortunate to have such a brilliant child.

If someone else is concerned about what I call my children, well its certainly not my problem :-)

Last edited by belovenow; 04-24-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
You know what is more annoying? My stbx's family refering to each other as bub, sis, mommy and daddy. Makes me want to puke.

But then I frequently refer to my youngest grandson as dirty little monkey. It makes him laugh.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,683,101 times
Oh...I don`t know. I think that if you have called your son "Buddy" while he was growing up, then he may just look at it as another nick name for himself, from his Dad. I don`t think it necessarily means that your son is automatically not going to listen, or even view you (Dad) as trying to be a "Buddy, instead of a parent. I think that stems from how you raise them, not from a nick name.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,088 times
well i have to admit, i do call my son my little man. but i dont say "hey little man". i just will say to no one in particular "look at my little man"...

Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM

116 posts, read 448,861 times
Uhh, I hate it when dad's call their kids Buddy...don't know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting