Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:50 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I would not call it a tantrum.

I think she needs help from a psychologist.
I dont think what we are experiencing is that severe by a long shot, yet...

Happy to report that for the last couple days she has been pretty good. No pre-bedtime tantrums, no angry deflections, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 08:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Happy to report that for the last couple days she has been pretty good. No pre-bedtime tantrums, no angry deflections, etc.
That is good news.

When it happens again, consistency in your response is the key.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
3.5 is a TERRIBLE age. People always talk about the twos, but I've been hearing from friends who are parents that the threes are actually the worst.

When she tantrums, start taking away privileges and toys. She earns them back.

And stop the playdates with bratty kids or only host them in YOUR house. When she sees the other child's kids responding to that behavior, it creates a model for her.

REWARD and PRAISE good behavior. When she is a brat the first half of the day, praise her for turning it around in the latter half of the day.

But no emotional reaction to her as she's tantruming is a good idea. It just feeds her reaction.

My cousin and his wife did an excellent job with their boys. They would start to get cranky, and they'd get a time out. Time outs were not punishment, just an opportunity to compose themselves. The parents took this very seriously, and if the timeout didn't work, they'd just take the kids home. The kids got so trained to this behavior they would ask for time outs when becoming distressed.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:16 AM

609 posts, read 265,051 times
Here is my perspective and I have children, btw, unlike some people posting here.

Tantrums can either be an emotional issue the child will outgrow OR could be a sign of something desperately wrong in the child's life. Either way I would consult a child psychologist or at least do an online consultation. Lots of doctors are doing online appointments right now. Try Plush care or one of the other medical appointment sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting