Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM

52 posts, read 235,395 times

Advertisements

Okay, this post is about my nephew this time instead of my son, lol. My brother and his wife are having a terrible time with their 10 year old son. He doesn't like school and every evening right before getting ready to go to bed he starts getting a "headache" or a "stomach ache" of his foot hurts or... you get the picture. He's an average kid, very active, very athletic, loves to play. His mom says its not just school either, on Sunday morning he wakes up not feeling good either, not wanting to go to church. They feel bad because they are having to get really hard on him. My sister in law said last night that he cried uncontrollably, said he didn't know why he was crying, but it's all because he just wants to stay home.

They moved the kids to a new school this year (the one my son goes to) because they thought maybe he would do better at a smaller school with family, but she says if anything it has made him worse than he was. They are at their wit's end. After getting in trouble, he always says he's sorry and will try to do better but then it starts again.

I personally feel that they let him stay home too much when this first started and now that its a full blown problem, they don't know what to do. He has a sister that is almost 12 and she loves the new school but she likes to stay home on occasion too.

Do any of you have such problems and how do you handle it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
I don't have kids but I did exactly what he did. I know I hated school and played sick due to being bullied. As a kid, church was very boring for me so I definitely tried getting out of going as much as possible. So, it could be deeper issues or he just might be plain old lazy and is playing his parents. Only they will be able to find out the real deal. Tell them don't take him saying he is sick at face value. Get rough and force the truth out of him. Sister-in-law should have taken that opportunity while he was crying. At 10 yrs old I knew I would rather play all day (especially if I had a video game and was >< this close to making it to the next level, lol)

Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 AM

We usually do stuff together most evenings and he can play and play and being having fun, its just that the minute they go inside when the playing is over, that's when he doesn't feel good. And they really feel that he actually does make himself sick sometimes.

My brother, his dad, was like that at that age too. Our parents even hospitalized him at one point thinking he had an ulcer, but he didn't.

Apparently he asked his teacher yesterday if he could go to the nurse and get a bandaid for his finger (said he had a splinter and couldn't write) and she exasperatedly asked him why he felt the need to go to the nurse "every" day. Of course that upset him, he said it's not every day. But I think he does go several times a week.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
So he only gets sick when the fun stops, LOL. Hmm, maybe its the attention that goes along with being sick that he likes? You know what I mean? Like you get coddled and people feel sorry for you and make a big fuss and whatnot. This is a tough one.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Exactly, I think maybe you're right.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
I'm wondering if perhaps they could frame this differently. Rather than let him play, then "get sick", how about if he "gets sick" he has the spend the next 24 hours home on the couch or something? Make it seem like yes dear, we are taking you seriously. If you say you are sick, you must be. Of course since you are so sick, you won't be able to play today (not outside, not video games, etc). If you're feeling better by tomorrow evening, then you may go play.

He wants to be believed. Why have a battle over this? Go along with it but make sure they don't allow the fun things because, of course, he's so sick....

Old 05-01-2008, 08:40 AM

I think they are "threatening" him with this but haven't followed through with it. That would make a difference I believe.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
I worked with a girl who had severe school anxiety so would do this same thing; however, if he still likes to do "fun" things he may just be manipulating them. Her sibling, however, would pretend to be sick so that way she could have alone time with mom and dad. As another posted said, I would also be concerned about bullying or something.

Here's what I would do: 1) if they think it is school or social anxiety take him to counseling to work on it. 2) if they don't think it's school or social anxiety, sorry buddy, no visits to the nurse, and you have to go to school unless you are bleeding or puking. I wouldn't play into it or it would get worse. He may just need to realize that sometimes kids have to do things they don't want to do (I've worked with those kids too!)

Also, threatening him with no follow through will just make things worse. Consistency is needed!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Take him for a drive through the local slum and show him the consequences of not getting an education.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i agree with those that said he might be bullied at school. maybe those same kids go to that same church.
i know it' hard because as a kid i never wanted to tell my parents anything-i was lucky i was not in any real trouble.
try to get to thebottome of this. try to get someone to talk to him who can get the truth out of him without flipping out over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting