Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 09:16 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It seems to be not the right time to have a baby. What I also worry about is the future. When the babies come of age, will there be any decent jobs they can live off or be able to afford shelter with high prices?
How many past generations didn't say the same things? This is not an original thought at all.

You have no idea what the future holds. Who would have thought 40 years ago that there would be such a huge industry as computer technology? Or that traditionally decent jobs for the time such as being a telephone operator or toll collector would die out?

Heck, a little more than 40 years ago, I had just gotten out of secretarial school, where I learned to take Gregg shorthand at 130 wpm and typed at 80 wpm. I got a good job as secretary, which was considered a valid career option. Do you know anyone who has learned shorthand lately? Secretarial schools don't even exist anymore.

Inflation was high then, as were gas prices. There's nothing new under the sun. If you don't want to have kids, you have that choice, but worrying about them not being able to get jobs seems a little silly when you have no idea what the world will look like in 20 years.

Want your kid to have a job? Encourage them to become a plumber or an electrician. People need plumbing and electricity and probably still will in the future, yet there is already a huge shortage of people who know those trades.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-20-2022 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 10:53 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Dose of you own medicine, huh?

There are WAY TOO MANY busybody parents who are nosy AF and always ask CF people why they don't want kids, and then go on to tell them that they'll change their mind someday, and then usually quickly followed by the dumbest question usually soon follows....

"Who will take care of you when you are old"

Why can't parents quit asking CF people when they will have kids, and all the inevitable follow-up Qs?? Seriously.

Do parents ever think that asking such a question might make an infertile person seriously uncomfortable? Luckily that isn't my situation, but its totally inappropriate for parents to be going down such a road.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe.......just maybe CF people get annoyed and sometimes angry w parents because of their relentless pushing of kids on people who want to be CF?
Dose of my own medicine? Again what are you talking about? I dont go around asking ANYONE why they didn't have kids. If anything I wish more people out there wouldnt have kids. I think there was a mentally ill father in illinois who just drowned his 3 kids to spite his wife. Like I said, more people should NOT have kids. The trouble is it seems like the WRONG types of people keep having kids and this country is going to hell because of it.

We might be on the same page in that some people shouldn't have kids...but why come to a parenting page to spout off about this?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:21 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Most of the best and most meaningful things in life are difficult and wonderful.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Dose of you own medicine, huh?

There are WAY TOO MANY busybody parents who are nosy AF and always ask CF people why they don't want kids, and then go on to tell them that they'll change their mind someday, and then usually quickly followed by the dumbest question usually soon follows....

"Who will take care of you when you are old"

Why can't parents quit asking CF people when they will have kids, and all the inevitable follow-up Qs?? Seriously.

Do parents ever think that asking such a question might make an infertile person seriously uncomfortable? Luckily that isn't my situation, but its totally inappropriate for parents to be going down such a road.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe.......just maybe CF people get annoyed and sometimes angry w parents because of their relentless pushing of kids on people who want to be CF?
Kinda confused here. Why would someone so adamantly opposed to having children, or talking about having children, CHOOSE to hang with parents IN A PARENTING FORUM? Seems like it raises your blood pressure and makes you unpleasant to be around, and the solution is so simple...don't hang out in the CF parenting forum.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:01 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I would say bring this to the politics and controversies forum and plenty will back you up there. Or the economics forum.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:52 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Kinda case in point why I don't hang out with CF people when I don't have to. I like having kids. I like talking about my kids.

I'm sure that's boring to CF people, and some of them get so easily triggered about the subject of children.

Sorry; I got kids. I don't have the time or patience to walk on eggshells around you. Better that we just not talk at all.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:21 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
You know...LOL, I'm so dumb sometimes.

Through out this thread, I've been thinking "CF people" referred to City Forum people. LOLOL! I JUST NOW figured out it meant child free.

Oh lord, what a maroon. lol

Old 06-29-2022, 04:30 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,689 times
Where was the turmoil? I missed it. I didn't see the turmoil on my way to work - I still had to go to work. I didn't see it at the stores. There was a lack of TP for a little while so I ordered some prison-size rolls online. Was that it?

Almost forgot - I anticipate there will be jobs in adding one-digit numbers without a machine or counting on one's fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting