Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 04:02 AM

230 posts, read 215,448 times

Advertisements

Let's say your child had no friends. He or she is always by themselves, they spend a lot of time in their room watching TV, playing video games, or on their cell phone. They don't have anyone to go out or hangout with. How would you respond to that?

Would you criticize them? Would you try to help them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 07:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
No, you don't criticize. Yes, you try to help, encourage them to do something that involves other kids so they can build friendships naturally. Socializing skills are necessary in this world, some kids need more of a push to help with this.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:26 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
Let's say your child had no friends. He or she is always by themselves, they spend a lot of time in their room watching TV, playing video games, or on their cell phone. They don't have anyone to go out or hangout with. How would you respond to that?

I would get them involved in more extra curricular activities and put them in more situations where they could make friends. If they are shy, I'd try harder to inspire confidence in them and encourage them in all aspects of their life.

If them not having any friends was do to not like people at all, or if they were anti-social rather than shy I'd want to know the root cause of it and have them talk to a child psychologist. If at all possible, I'd try to prevent what I fear could happen if I did nothing.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:27 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post

Just for the record - My kids never had a TV or video games in their bedroom. It was in the living room where they had to interact with family.

If you child doesn't have friends - you

(1) speak to his/her teachers to see if he/she interacts well at school.

(2) ask the teachers for recommendations

(3) test for disabilities to confirm there is no autism or other social disability/issue

(4) ask your child is he/she sad or lonely

(5) depending on the age of your child - in grammar school, ask if you could arrange playdates with classmates. In middle or high school, ask your child what you could do to help.

Finally, you want to help he/she feel connected to the world.

Make family routines that connect you and your child - Monday nights - Chinese food or Wednesdays - board game nights - Fridays - celebrate the weekend with a movie. Plan special weekend activities - trips to the zoo, hikes, or something he/she would be interested. Something that your child could look forward to every weekend.

You want to make sure your child isn't aliened from the entire world and knows he/she is still connected and loved. To avoid this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
If them not having any friends was do to not like people at all, or if they were anti-social rather than shy I'd want to know the root cause of it and have them talk to a child psychologist. If at all possible, I'd try to prevent what I fear could happen if I did nothing.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Send them to summer camp. Put them in dance or sports. There are a lot of ways to meet people.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:42 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I would definitely intervene. I've seen the results of this kind of upbringing too many times here on CD and it's so disheartening to see grown up neglected, unsocialized children. It's a form of child abuse IMO.

Last edited by zentropa; 06-08-2022 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 11:48 AM

247 posts, read 235,711 times
My first inclination would be to have a neuropsych assessment on them for autism, adhd, & other related conditions.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:29 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, you don't criticize. Yes, you try to help, encourage them to do something that involves other kids so they can build friendships naturally. Socializing skills are necessary in this world, some kids need more of a push to help with this.
Basically this....(drops mic).

Old 06-10-2022, 05:12 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Just for the record - My kids never had a TV or video games in their bedroom. It was in the living room where they had to interact with family.

If you child doesn't have friends - you

(1) speak to his/her teachers to see if he/she interacts well at school.

(2) ask the teachers for recommendations

(3) test for disabilities to confirm there is no autism or other social disability/issue

(4) ask your child is he/she sad or lonely

(5) depending on the age of your child - in grammar school, ask if you could arrange playdates with classmates. In middle or high school, ask your child what you could do to help.

Finally, you want to help he/she feel connected to the world.

Make family routines that connect you and your child - Monday nights - Chinese food or Wednesdays - board game nights - Fridays - celebrate the weekend with a movie. Plan special weekend activities - trips to the zoo, hikes, or something he/she would be interested. Something that your child could look forward to every weekend.

You want to make sure your child isn't aliened from the entire world and knows he/she is still connected and loved. To avoid this:
This is all very good advice.

If your child is mostly alone even at home, then start with the bolded paragraph above. My daughter started getting picky about who she wanted to be friends with and I saw her friend group dwindle. She stopped getting invited to gatherings and it didn't bother her. She had legitimate reasons for not being bothered as that friend group ended up divided and turned on each other. But still, I want her to find new friends and told her next year to make 1 friend in each of her classes.

So we started spending more time together. One of our favorite past times is watching romance series from Asia but we have to agree to watch the same show. I tell her why I don't like something and she tells me her own reasons. Right now we are watching and loving "The Rookie Historian". So I don't always focus on what she wants to do. She has to learn how to encourage others when they are not interested in an activity, so I've been guiding her there. I use food as encouragement and decided to have her learn fast, low-calorie snacks to serve others.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Send them to summer camp. Put them in dance or sports. There are a lot of ways to meet people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I would definitely intervene. I've seen the results of this kind of upbringing too many times here on CD and it's so disheartening to see grown up neglected, unsocialized children. It's a form of child abuse IMO.
This, and this.

Maybe I missed the age of the kid - this advise tapers off as the kid ages, but if s/he is younger, definitely push to make friends. Remember, up until a certain age, kids making friends heavily involves the parents (playdates, playground interactions, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting