Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
Thanks for the input, jimj!

I actually considered Asperger's, and I do have an older son who is on the autistic spectrum. Because my younger boy lacks the social issues that typify Asperger's, I really didn't consider it any further. Can you/would you share what you have seen in your boy? The only real social issue he has is a huge one, though, and that's that he will not under any circumstances be more than a few feet from me, even at home! Getting him to go to class (just finished K) was a real chore. He still cried into the last week of school. He will not sleep alone, etc, although I have had a HUGE breakthrough with his sleeping in that blooming chair! He will now, with some prodding, sleep in his own bed, as long as I stay with him until he falls asleep. My older boy did this as well.

Also in re: hand flapping... I asked him about it again a couple days ago. He says it's fun to him, and that it also means he's having fun when he does it.

Everyone has been great with all of your replies, opinions, hypotheses, and experiences. Thanks again!

~D
Our son doesn't do change very well, he has routines and that could mean having one of us around. He still gets pretty clingy, even at 16 and can't go more than a couple of hours alone without some contact with us.
This usually means if we go shopping he'll call every hour or so just to check with us. Hand flapping, cracking knuckles (his new thing),counting his fingers etc are all OCD related and the first thing that made us think there was more to it than "just" ADHD/ADD.
Socially he operates on a different level. While he speaks very intelligently he doesn't get innuendo or social cues. Ever heard the saying "can't that guy/girl take a hint"? Well. no he can't, he just doesn't quite get it. The best explination I've gotten is if you were to call someone a "couch potato" he'd picture an actual potato sitting on a couch and wonder what the heck you ment by that.
We noticed he'd laugh at things that really weren't funny like if you dropped a plate of food and hit your foot with the plate he'd laugh. If you stubbed your toe he'd laugh. While he really didn't think it was funny that was his auto response instead of concern. We also noticed an overblown response to even minor correction. You'd think we told him we were going to cut off a limb by just scolding him.
Take a look at Wrong Planet - Asperger's and Autism or
Autism Society of America: What's Unique about Asperger's Disorder? (http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=life_aspergers - broken link)
If there's anything else I can do let me know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM

515 posts, read 1,559,085 times
Thanks so much for the info! Good luck with your son. I'm so sorry you've had such a hard time.

~D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting