Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,503,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
OK, now think sensibly.

I'm not a parent myself, but looking back at the havoc my siblings and I wreaked on our parents during our teen years, and hearing the outbursts from parents I know ("if my daughter EVER turned up pregnant before getting married, I'd <insert some dire action>"), folks raising kids often blast their mouths before really thinking of the consequences.

So you'd boot your kid out at hearing the news? No matter the circumstances that reaction might cause? What if they, in return, said "I can't help the way I am, I believe G*d made me this way. I love you Mom/Dad but if you can't accept me the way I am: a person who can't change what they are, then we sure aren't going to have a very good relationship from here on out." What would you do then?

*shrug* I never got the parent thing - the desire to have kids. I do know that, in a sensible fashion, you never know how your kids will turn out. They may disappoint you in many ways, but as long as their lives turn out to be productive and somewhat happy; that they aren't a malicious drain on society; then you should accept them. Otherwise, why get into the parenting deal in the first place? It's a crap shoot and you have to deal with the hand that's been laid out to you.
1- i dont HAVE to deal with anything.
2- you are leaving the teaching aspect of parenting out of your post. Parents are supposed to teach their children. Not just say do whatever makes you feel good. Most parenjts i know teach what they think is right and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 AM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
1- i dont HAVE to deal with anything.
2- you are leaving the teaching aspect of parenting out of your post. Parents are supposed to teach their children. Not just say do whatever makes you feel good. Most parenjts i know teach what they think is right and wrong.
Teaching your child that it's OK to turn your back on flesh and blood because of how they were born isn't exactly right though, now is it?

But based on the numerous cases of friends who have been kicked out of their homes, you were never a very good parent with a strong sense of right or wrong anyway. But, as you said, my opinion, no need to bash it

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,136,952 times
No big deal. The only reason I might worry, is because it may add more obstacles to their life.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,503,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Teaching your child that it's OK to turn your back on flesh and blood because of how they were born isn't exactly right though, now is it?

But based on the numerous cases of friends who have been kicked out of their homes, you were never a very good parent with a strong sense of right or wrong anyway. But, as you said, my opinion, no need to bash it
Heres another genius folks! SHE knows whats best for MY kids! Again! Please show me where I said i would turn my back on my child. i said they couldnt live that lifestyle and live with me. So only YOUR definition of parenting is correct?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,554,712 times
I'll say this for Capt Dan.....he was honest.....

I know my son would come to me 1st and honestly my 1st response would be....Well Crap!!!! How am I going to the THIS one to his Dad. His Dad would have a friggin fit.
I myself would love him and support him no matter what and would probably welcome any future partner into our family, but that's the way I am.
His Dad now.....he loves his son more than anything else in this world and in my books has been the best dad ever but this........this, would be something he'd have to work on.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,875,158 times
ok dear, so what do you want for dinner?

Who cares what turns them on? As long as no one is getting injured. They will already have had their information about sex and the safety of it. Then I guess we could find out when I get to meet someone they like.

Seems parents care more about themselves than their childs happiness. That seems to be the only concern.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Heres another genius folks! SHE knows whats best for MY kids! Again! Please show me where I said i would turn my back on my child. i said they couldnt live that lifestyle and live with me. So only YOUR definition of parenting is correct?
I understand exactly what you're saying, you wouldn't disown he/she just that you don't approve (absolutely your right) and that being the case it would NOT happen in YOUR house again, absolutely your right. While I wouldn't throw him out I wouldn't condone it in my house either just as I wouldn't condone all the kissy face heavy contact from a girl friend.

To swerve off topic for a minute, about the "it's not natural" argument, this has been going on throughout history and as far as I can tell since time began so that argument doesn't wash with me. Now if someone said "it's immoral or a sin according to xxx religion" then that's a valid statement but it seems to me that since it's been going on since the start of time it "nature" has to have something to do with it therefore perfectly "natural".
Also how else to you explain all the different species of animals that have "gay" members? Since they have a lower intellegence wouldn't you think that "nature" has a hand it it? My thoght is it's natures way of either controlling population growth or stopping a specific thing from procreating for some reason, maybe disease or some genetic defect?
I would hope the flogging of Dan would stop, his opinion was asked for and given and just because it "may" not be popular here doesn't diminish the validity of it one bit nor does it make him wrong.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,933,171 times
Quote:
Capt. Dan, my question for you is this: what if your child told you he was gay, but was not dating or "living the lifestyle" in any demonstrative way? Would you kick your child out for just "being" gay? Or are there specific actions that you would kick your child out for, such as dating, kissing, etc members of the same gender? I just wonder because I would bet that a lot of teens are attracted to others (gay or hetero) but are not dating. I hope my question is clear, but I fear that I haven't done a good job in asking it.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,257,484 times
I don't have kids, but if my son came out and told me that. I'd probably be shocked at first and than just learn to deal with it and move on.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:41 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,845,737 times
I am so proud of most of the posters here. Tolerance and understanding are winning and I think it's fantastic.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be disappointed- or concerned about small minded people if my child were to come out to me, I think any parent would be. But I would love him and I would accept him and who he is without prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting