Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times

Advertisements

All,
My 16 yr old son plays Call of Duty online. If your familier with online gaming, people belong to clans,guilds or some such and talk and play. Recently my son recieved a "gift" in through Amazon.com from a guy who it turns is 41 yrs old. I'm very concerned about the potential for internet preditors I'd hate to have shoot someone if they showed up up on my doorstep. At this point the kids internet axcess has been terminated and I contemplateing calling the cops in the town where this guy lives.
Any thoughts????
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,909 times
My son is an online gamer and has been since he was a pre-teen (he'll be a college freshman in September). I am one, as well, although we generally don't play the same games. Upon reading your post, my first question is: How did this 41-year-old get the information to send the gift? Did your son provide him with an email address or (worse yet) your street address? Did he give out his real-life name or share pictures or tell where his high-school is?

Online gaming is quite safe IF you use standard, common-sense internet precautions. Don't share passwords. Ever. Not with your friends, not with your guildmates, not with anyone. Don't give out ANY personal or identifiable information. My son won't even identify in which state we live (he'll only go so far as to say what region of the country).

It makes me sad to hear you've felt it necessary to cut off your child's internet access but I can understand your concern. Keep in mind, however, that home is not the only place from which he can access. You can't cut off his friends' access. What happens when he goes to their houses? Keep in mind, too, that age 18 is not too far away and he may very well go away to college. You need spend time NOW making sure he fully understands what he can and cannot share in games (or MySpace or Facebook or whatever). YOU need to be familiar with these things, too. The more you understand, the less likely you'll react out of fear and the more likely you will be to help him learn safe online behavior.

Good luck. Parenting's tough, isn't it? Just when you think you have a handle on things, kaboom! The kidlettes throw something new at you .

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,896 times
What was the gift??

Maybe you, as a mother can get a hold of this 41 year old and tell him you will call the cops if he tries to advance his relationship with your son...

Maybe there is an organazation you can report him to... Give his screen name and what site he is from...Maybe they can set up a sting...

Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
According to the kid he created a wish list at amazon.com wich people can reference and then send the whatever. The "gift" he recieved was a new video game like call of duty He has assured us that he has not given out his real name or our address. The senders name and address was on the shippping slip so that how I got his information............

Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
I play COD4 online. How does he know the guy ? Is he a clanmember, friend, random guy ? Not sure about Amazon wishlists, but I dont think they need to know the adress of the person receiving it do they ? I have received plenty of things from people online over the years.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM

As a mother, I would be finding this guy and calling him up....Just to let him know that you are fully aware of what is going on and you will press charges if he has any further contact with your son...

Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 PM

You dont know what kind of contact it is Danielle ? I have had people buy me games too, dont overreact if you dont have to!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM

I don't care...IF a 41 year old man is sending my 16 year old gifts...he is getting a call... and I would be watching every step from that moment on...Period. I don't think that is over reacting... If I were to call the police, that maybe over reacting at this point...But to just inform the 41 year old that your are aware of the gift and you will contact the authorities if need be??? What is wrong with that??

And I would be getting rid of the 'wish list' too...

If he were 18...that is different.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

A 16yr old kid should be watched anyway so getting a gift shouldnt be the thing that makes somebody watch their kid in the first place! All I am saying is it could be an "online friend" from a Clan buying a game for somebody. I have had people buy me hardware (and younger people had too) to keep our servers up in our *Nap community so I guess thats why I am saying it may be no big deal.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
All,
My 16 yr old son plays Call of Duty online. If your familier with online gaming, people belong to clans,guilds or some such and talk and play. Recently my son recieved a "gift" in through Amazon.com from a guy who it turns is 41 yrs old. I'm very concerned about the potential for internet preditors I'd hate to have shoot someone if they showed up up on my doorstep. At this point the kids internet axcess has been terminated and I contemplateing calling the cops in the town where this guy lives.
Any thoughts????
Thanks
In this day in Age there is no overreacting when it comes to your kids... Ending the gaming is a good step... but I WOULD contact the police. If, pehaps, they are legally not supposed to be contacting children they need to know what is going on. It is grossly inapproriate for a boy to be recieving a gift from a 41yr old man... something is not right and you have every right to be concerned.... Call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting