Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Speaking as a former preschool teacher, I can tell you that not only is preschool a status symbol for MANY of the parents, it is a complete waste of time. There is nothing "school wise" that you can do/learn in the 2-3 hour preschool day that you couldn't master at home. As for the rest, standing in line, turn taking, speaking only when spoken to, you can only use these toys one way..., well, your children will have plenty of opportunity to become like their robot neighbors if you send them to kindergarten and beyond.

They are not doomed (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) to fail for the rest of their lives because they spent an extra year or two home with mom and dad. More kids would probably benefit from a tighter family unit!
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
NCYank - I'm sorry that your kids are experiencing that in school. That shouldn't be the case, and it's not really the norm. My son has really blossomed since he hit middle school and even more so in high school as far as socializing at school and putting himself in the mix more (tends to be shy). He loves high school and the independence they are given.
Yes, it has been more of an ordeal than we expected. However, it is the norm for this area and we have top rated schools. Anything they can do to get kids to pass the end of grade testing is OK, even to the point of teaching multiple choice algebra. I thought DH was going to blow a fuse with that one...LOL

The kids are doing fine though. They had many years of excellent schooling before entering the government system that prepared them for the challenges. DS is enrolled in the magnet school for high school and enjoying it so far. There are more oportunities for socialization and exploration that he is enjoying.

DD is also exploring non-traditional high school options (all available through the public school system) as she doesn't want to continue with the 'herding' experience all through high school. We will support her in that decision as long as her academic goals remain the focus.

For our family, public school is only a SMALL part of our children being well educated and socialized. Too bad it takes so much TIME from thier week....that has been the biggest adjustment for all of us.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And for many who homeschool, they are so self-righteous about THEIR decision that they fail to realize that not everyone thinks like they do & that is ok! I would never assume to put myself on such a high pedestal over others.

Preschool as status?

Some parents just enjoy giving their child the opportunity. If it works, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Preschool is not meant to be all about standing in line & learning discipline from others. It's meant, for many, to be a supplement of the very basics & most of all..a fun introduction into school. And it's not necessary or the end all of all things.
Okay, maybe this is putting it a little strongly, but I do wish those that homeschool wouldn't act as if those of us who choose conventional/mainstream schooling are somehow missing the mark and shortchanging our kids. We don't criticize you for making a decision that you feel is best for your kids and family, please don't do it to us. IMHO there are just as many valid reasons for sending your kids to school as there are to homeschool.

And to clarify, I'm not directing this at all homeschoolers, just the minority who already know who they are.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Speaking as a former preschool teacher, I can tell you that not only is preschool a status symbol for MANY of the parents, it is a complete waste of time. There is nothing "school wise" that you can do/learn in the 2-3 hour preschool day that you couldn't master at home. As for the rest, standing in line, turn taking, speaking only when spoken to, you can only use these toys one way..., well, your children will have plenty of opportunity to become like their robot neighbors if you send them to kindergarten and beyond.

They are not doomed (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) to fail for the rest of their lives because they spent an extra year or two home with mom and dad. More kids would probably benefit from a tighter family unit!
I didn't write that they were doomed.

Again, you are presenting your opinion as the one & only true one. Thus, it loses validity. Just b/c you homeschool doesn't mean you have all the right answers.

And 2 days a week for 2 hours. There are some that are 1 day a week for 2 hours. Please, preschool is not 5 days a week for 6 hours. School outside your home isn't evil.

I prefer my child not to be terrified of the outside world & know that life functions in different ways other than the ONLY way mommy tells me/brainwashes me.

Having a well balanced, well rounded child & happy child is what every parent hopes. How they go about achieving that is their business & for a person to judge them based on their way of supreme thinking is creepy.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Awe...you started off pretty good....
Quote:
Again, you are presenting your opinion as the one & only true one. Thus, it loses validity. Just b/c you homeschool doesn't mean you have all the right answers.
And then just couldn't help yourself....
Quote:
I prefer my child not to be terrified of the outside world & know that life functions in different ways other than the ONLY way mommy tells me/brainwashes me.

Having a well balanced, well rounded child & happy child is what every parent hopes. How they go about achieving that is their business & for a person to judge them based on their way of supreme thinking is creepy.
And just how do you think you sound here? Well balanced, presenting a valid argument, respectful and understanding of home schooling? Perhaps even a little....supreme or judgmental?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Awe...you started off pretty good....

And then just couldn't help yourself....

And just how do you think you sound here? Well balanced, presenting a valid argument, respectful and understanding of home schooling? Perhaps even a little....supreme or judgmental?
I stated in a previous post that homeschool works for some just as conventional works for some & vice versa.

It's in response to statements like "robot neighbors" and "status symbol" to tell the neighbors and "waste of time" and the "my way is the only way & I will not be open to any other way" posters that degrade those who think differently.

Valid argument? Some on here do not open their minds long enough nor are willing to in order for there to be a validity. If that is what is required to homeschool, then I am very concerned.

Homeschooling, conventional schooling...what works best for YOUR child..GOOD! But don't come on here all high & mighty putting down others who take a different route. That was my point.

NO one does it perfectly or has the perfect answer. It's life & it happens.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
I didn't write that they were doomed.

And 2 days a week for 2 hours. There are some that are 1 day a week for 2 hours. Please, preschool is not 5 days a week for 6 hours. School outside your home isn't evil.

I should have been more clear with my quotes. I was responding to your response about people not thinking that preschool was a status thing. I saw many parents in my years in preschool that cared more about WHERE there kid went to school than about the kid themselves.

Someone else DID say that if you didn't go to preschool, you were doomed. Again, I should have been more clear. The OP asked if preschool is really necessary and my answer, from experience was a resounding "no".

For someone who doesn't want me to judge her choices, you have no problem attacking mine. It is a little mean and hostile to say that I brainwash my children and make them terrified of the world.

As for presenting opinions, your comments are a little hypocritical. Why are YOUR opinions more valid than mine??

Old 09-30-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I should have been more clear with my quotes. I was responding to your response about people not thinking that preschool was a status thing. I saw many parents in my years in preschool that cared more about WHERE there kid went to school than about the kid themselves.

Someone else DID say that if you didn't go to preschool, you were doomed. Again, I should have been more clear. The OP asked if preschool is really necessary and my answer, from experience was a resounding "no".

For someone who doesn't want me to judge her choices, you have no problem attacking mine. It is a little mean and hostile to say that I brainwash my children and make them terrified of the world.

As for presenting opinions, your comments are a little hypocritical. Why are YOUR opinions more valid than mine??
2B&2G: Thank you for clarifying. I do agree that there are parents who do MANY things TO there children rather than FOR their children based on response of friends, family, social circle. I could care less what the neighbors think of the personal choices I make with my children. I DO care how my children treat their children & vice versa, though

I can see the value of preschool as it is intended to be which should be play, interaction, BASIC MINIMAL introduction to sharing; rules, etc.

Is it a most have for EVERY child? Absolutely not!
Does it benefit some children? Yes.

Do some parents use preschool as a subsitute? Yes. And my heart goes out to children who live under those circumstances.

I just don't care for when EITHER side (yes, I will take partly blame for my own juvenile response at times) have to play "My way is the best way b/c I said so & have stats to prove it!" stuff.

Homeschooling is a wonderful thing if it works for a family. Conventional school the same way.

Both sides have their pros & cons.

As a parent, your job is to raise your child to be so many things. How you go about doing it is a wonderful yet at times tough experience.

I really don't want to continue an unnecessary bashing mash of who can outdo the other.

Live & let live.

I need to go do the now regular afternoon check of how our 401k has dwindle today

Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
I was a stay at home mom at the time, and my son did not attend pre-school. He did go to kindergarten. Academically and socially, he seemed to do just fine without it. As you (the original poster) said about your own children, though, he was far from shy. So that does help. He had also spend quite a bit of time interacting with other children in the church nursery. So that kind of setting (with lots of other children) wasn't totally foreign to him either.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
I would like to share here, because I think this is really sweet. As I said, our kindergarden has very gentle approach. This came in a weekly note from the teacher.

"This week's topics:
Big book - My puppy (Non-fiction)
Writing - working on storytelling and routines for writing time
Word/letter centers - uppercase and lowercase letter matching, letter formation, name puzzles, letter sounds
Science - Discovering the sense of sight and camouflage
Social Studies - Discovering we are unique and special
Health - introduction to the story about the character turtle
Math - sorting and Graphing leaves "

That is a WEEK's worth of what they are doing, in between learning how to dress/tie shoes, how to have lunch, recesses, and they also have gym and music with separate teachers. No worksheets!!!

I think this is about appropriate for a 5 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting