Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times

Advertisements

Put them back (some of the books) if they are more than what I expected. I have no problem doing this because of all the fundraisers that go on during the year that we contribute to. There are so many fundraisers!!!!! AHHHH!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I agree - I don't mind the books so much, but the trinkety little toys, junky posters, cheap pens... drive me crazy! I just say "no"!
1. Volunteering at the fair usually gets me a few free books!

2. We do our last one of the year "not for profit", all BOGO

3. We don't even pull out the gizmo case! A few pens and posters, hide the rest, we're moms too and want our kids getting books, not fuzzy $4 erasers!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
I think the thing that bothers me is all the things other than books they try to sell. My kids know that if we buy books at the book fair, they get BOOKS not gadgets. The gadgets can usually be found at WalMart or the dollar store for alot less. My kids are limited to one book maybe 2x's a year since it seems like we have at least 2 book fairs a year.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
My kids are allowed $5 ONE TIME A YEAR. The other times we go to the library. A much better selection and not just junk to waste. I make it clear I expect a BOOK to be purchased or I will take it back, and I have done so.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
I give my son (4th grade) a set amount of money (usually $20 unless there is a special series of chapter books available) and HE chooses which books he can purchase by adding the prices up. He really can't go over the amount because I'm not standing there, more money in hand, to buy any extras he wants.

He usually plans it to be under $19, so he can stop at the bottled water vending machine on the way back to the classroom and spend that last $1-lol..

Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
Well, I've been the bookfair chair person for 2 years at our elementary school. It is a volunteer position, and at my school the PTA runs the whole thing. The librarian gets a week off to plan for stuff, she does not help the book fair.

The PTA cashes the checks then sends a check to Scholastic, at least at our school. Checks are made to the PTA, not Scholastic; if there is a delay it is probably a PTA issue.

If you do not like the way the book fair is run in your school, volunteer! At our school, it takes 40 volunteers to run book fair week. It is an incredible amount of work, and unless you help IMO you have no right to complain about how it is run. The night event before I became involved was chaotic; the kids did not have enough to do and were allowed to run wild. Since I've become involved this does not happen - I planned activities and the volunteers controlled behavior - this takes work and planning. Regarding where the book fair is held in the school, sometimes there is no choice about where to hold the fair. GET INVOLVED and suggest alternatives if the space was not adequate!

I also hate the gadgets and gizmos. Again, become involved with your PTA and get some say in what is sold! We make enough $$ at our book fair that when the kids come in to fill out their 'wish lists' I tell them they must list books first. If they have $$ I've told them they must buy a book before they get anything else. If you do not tell the PTA that you want books only, the priority becomes making $$, topping the last year's sales, and the gadgets help do that. If enough parents say that is not their priority, then it will change.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
We took one back at our book fair. The package was open but we still took it back. Scholastic reps say to take it back and keep the customers happy.

Also, I know what you mean about the bargain books. I think there should be a mark on the back too so that the volunteers can see quickly that there is a discounted book. I check the front of all of the books first, ring the bargains first then flip the others and ring them.

I suppose we just have to remember that it is all for the good of the school... right? LOL At least it's usually books and not icky candy or something else.
True, and this is why I didn't bother calling them on it. (plus the fact that it was only two bucks)

Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Well, I've been the bookfair chair person for 2 years at our elementary school. It is a volunteer position, and at my school the PTA runs the whole thing. The librarian gets a week off to plan for stuff, she does not help the book fair.

The PTA cashes the checks then sends a check to Scholastic, at least at our school. Checks are made to the PTA, not Scholastic; if there is a delay it is probably a PTA issue.

If you do not like the way the book fair is run in your school, volunteer! At our school, it takes 40 volunteers to run book fair week. It is an incredible amount of work, and unless you help IMO you have no right to complain about how it is run. The night event before I became involved was chaotic; the kids did not have enough to do and were allowed to run wild. Since I've become involved this does not happen - I planned activities and the volunteers controlled behavior - this takes work and planning. Regarding where the book fair is held in the school, sometimes there is no choice about where to hold the fair. GET INVOLVED and suggest alternatives if the space was not adequate!

I also hate the gadgets and gizmos. Again, become involved with your PTA and get some say in what is sold! We make enough $$ at our book fair that when the kids come in to fill out their 'wish lists' I tell them they must list books first. If they have $$ I've told them they must buy a book before they get anything else. If you do not tell the PTA that you want books only, the priority becomes making $$, topping the last year's sales, and the gadgets help do that. If enough parents say that is not their priority, then it will change.
Thought this deserves to be posted twice!!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:57 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
Our school's book fair is this week. I've been volunteering at the book fair and I'm kind of surprised at some of what I've seen. So now I want to know...

Have you ever picked up books &/or had your child pick them up at the book fair only to get to the check-out and the total was much higher than expected?

LOL They add up fast!

So, what do you do? (be honest!!!)

...put some back and have go back to the check-out

...just buy them, it's for a good cause

...just buy them, it's too embarrassing to put them back (deal with children's wails of disappointment)

...throw up your hands in disgust and vow never to go to another book fair
I always have a rule at those things, one thing each and that is it. That way, if it was less than expected it is at my discretion to add another thing.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Sorry on the subject of books from school, i have to ask---does Scholastic take forever to cash your checks in your area? I have the books already and the damn check hasn't even been cashed yet, for God's sake! (i know, OT)

Scholastic sends them through electronically, within days of receiving them. The person collecting the book orders, tabulating them and then mailing them off might take awhile though.

In one of my children's classrooms, that parent is me. The book orders get sent home on the 1st, usually they have until the 15th or so to return them to the teacher. A couple days later, the teacher finishes looking at it all and making her purchases, then turns them over to me. Depending on what I've got going on, it might take me a day or so to add it all up, call in the order and mail off the checks. There have been times I've forgotten to mail the checks until after the books have arrived at the school - generally 3-4 weeks after the form was first sent home.

If it causes you too much stress... you could just volunteer help or to take the book orders over from the parent who is already volunteering for it. Not to sound "snippy", but I'm so tired of hearing other parents complain about what the volunteers don't do, or don't do well enough. If they know so much, then why can't they manage their time well enough to put in a couple hours a week at the school?! *End soapbox*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting