Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 PM

589 posts, read 1,636,230 times

Advertisements

Our school's book fair is this week. I've been volunteering at the book fair and I'm kind of surprised at some of what I've seen. So now I want to know...

Have you ever picked up books &/or had your child pick them up at the book fair only to get to the check-out and the total was much higher than expected?

LOL They add up fast!

So, what do you do? (be honest!!!)

...put some back and have go back to the check-out

...just buy them, it's for a good cause

...just buy them, it's too embarrassing to put them back (deal with children's wails of disappointment)

...throw up your hands in disgust and vow never to go to another book fair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
Only once my daughter bought something from the school book fair. It's way too expensive. We have a Scholastic warehouse about 1/4 mile (if that) from here, we go there and pick them up for a fraction of the price. The selection is far greater as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
Our school's book fair is this week. I've been volunteering at the book fair and I'm kind of surprised at some of what I've seen. So now I want to know...

Have you ever picked up books &/or had your child pick them up at the book fair only to get to the check-out and the total was much higher than expected?

LOL They add up fast!

...just buy them, it's too embarrassing to put them back (deal with children's wails of disappointment)

How about...

d) Carry a calculator and add it up before you embarrass yourself at the cash register.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post

LOL They add up fast!

Same thing happens to me when I go to Target Go on "very determined" to spend a specific amount & get to the register & start handing the cashier things saying "I don't need this..."

I remember school book fairs being a HUGE treat growing up & my students were always so excited that week. As a teacher, I also enjoyed book fair week.

The books are expensive & do add up.

So, make a list of the books your child REALLY wants. Then, have them narrow it down to the amount you feel comfortable with & they chose PRIOR to going to the fair which ones they will purchase.

Of course, they are always going to ask for another one, but, if you were upfront with them prior to the fair, they will have to understand the set amount is the set amount.

Growing up, we were allowed to buy one. There's also the public library that has all these books for free

I had a co-teacher buy all her homeroom students a book one year

It's suppose to be fun & make reading enjoyable, but remember Scholastic is still trying to make a profit.

To ever "just buy" with your kids is setting some serious disasterous habits & conflict.

Other than that, just have fun with it. Set an amount you are comfortable with purchasing for your child; let them chose; and be consistent & firm in that amount.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 PM

81 posts, read 257,474 times
Well, yeah, the prices seem to be higher, IMO. The thing that bugs me is all the "toys". And yes, I do volunteer at the book fair.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
2 words..thrift shops at .25 . & .50 you won't break the bank, and you're recycling too

Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraS View Post
Well, yeah, the prices seem to be higher, IMO. The thing that bugs me is all the "toys". And yes, I do volunteer at the book fair.
I agree - I don't mind the books so much, but the trinkety little toys, junky posters, cheap pens... drive me crazy! I just say "no"!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM

Oh I totally agree with setting limits. My girls had $5 max each. I told them they could even get a book up to $4.99 and I'd spot the tax. However, they both came in at 4.76 with tax. I was proud.

But today, we rang up over 160 purchases totaling just over $3000. That's an average of $18.76 per purchase. The principal keeps reminding me that we are a "working class" school but the amount people were spending astounded me.

Oh and the toys and other assorted junk... BLECH... When it's just the students shopping, we try to remind them that this is a book fair. There are books as low as $2 available for most reading levels. And I like to go to the warehouse too. We only give books or educational games for birthday party gifts.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraS View Post
Ohhh, I was PISSED about the toys. When I take my kid to the book fair, I expect to see BOOKS, not cheap crap made in China. They were sellign this bug house thing for $20, that I've seen in BJ's for less, and of course if there was any problem w/it, oh well, no returning it. There was also cheap junk electronic items for $10. And of course my son was in a bit of an ungrateful mood because as far as he was concerned, I wasn't letting him get what he wanted. I told him that under no circumstance was I going to buy a toy this time, nor ever, at a BOOK FAIR. They just should NOT NOT NOT NOT be selling that crap at a book fair.

Yes the books do add up fast.

What annoyed me at the last one was that one book had a sticker on the front that said $2. When the lady totaled them up while I was in line, she must have only looked at the back of the books, because later I realized they charged me full price for it. Of course, they didn't give me an itemized receipt, only the receipt for my debit card transaction. So the book that I bought partly because it was just $2 turned out to be more.

the other part of the book fair that annoyed me was that it was open during open house and it was a ZOO. Instead of puttin it in a larger space, they put it in the library and there were a million people in there. (of course the last school put it in the bym and it was still a madhouse, even though the space was much larger.) Come to find out later that the book fair was open 2 or 3 afternoons that week and we could have shopped in peace.

Sorry on the subject of books from school, i have to ask---does Scholastic take forever to cash your checks in your area? I have the books already and the damn check hasn't even been cashed yet, for God's sake! (i know, OT)

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Ohhh, I was PISSED about the toys. When I take my kid to the book fair, I expect to see BOOKS, not cheap crap made in China. They were sellign this bug house thing for $20, that I've seen in BJ's for less, and of course if there was any problem w/it, oh well, no returning it. There was also cheap junk electronic items for $10. And of course my son was in a bit of an ungrateful mood because as far as he was concerned, I wasn't letting him get what he wanted. I told him that under no circumstance was I going to buy a toy this time, nor ever, at a BOOK FAIR. They just should NOT NOT NOT NOT be selling that crap at a book fair.
We took one back at our book fair. The package was open but we still took it back. Scholastic reps say to take it back and keep the customers happy.

Also, I know what you mean about the bargain books. I think there should be a mark on the back too so that the volunteers can see quickly that there is a discounted book. I check the front of all of the books first, ring the bargains first then flip the others and ring them.

I suppose we just have to remember that it is all for the good of the school... right? LOL At least it's usually books and not icky candy or something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting