Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Actually yeah it's called destruction of property which is illegal and a jailble offense in most states. And you can actually sure your parents in court believe it or not under the discretion of the judge. I was far from a spoiled brat actually, but i also would have certainly moved out the first chance i got had you of been my mother and never spoken to you again most likely . No dicispline isn't a bad thing, but acting like a raving nut is hardly what i would call something to be proud about.
Agreed. I think it's just beyond comprehension why someone would try SO HARD to get back at their child, as if it's some sort of game or oneupmanship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Agreed. I think it's just beyond comprehension why someone would try SO HARD to get back at their child, as if it's some sort of game or oneupmanship.
Get back at my child? Lol. Not allowing him to talk back and be respectful is getting back at him? I'm not a teenager. Children are not allowed to yell at adults. My kids would laugh at you if they heard you say I was a bad mother and you would never talk to me again. They thank me all the time for being a hard a**.

Forgive me if I don' take the suggestions of one woman who doesn't conform to normal school or home-school, sleeps with random strangers once a week, has sex with her husband while the kids are in the same bed and another one who is afraid of everything.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Get back at my child? Lol. Not allowing him to talk back and be respectful is getting back at him? I'm not a teenager. Children are not allowed to yell at adults. My kids would laugh at you if they heard you say I was a bad mother and you would never talk to me again. They thank me all the time for being a hard a**.

Forgive me if I don' take the suggestions of one woman who doesn't conform to normal school or home-school, sleeps with random strangers once a week, has sex with her husband while the kids are in the same bed and another one who is afraid of everything.
Gosh, maybe it's all in our heads....perhaps our children are simply brainwashed....not good kids who have respect for authority and others in general. After all, they're not allowed to run the house, yell at us, live with us for free forever, and abuse us. Personally, I raise my kids to treat me the way I want my grandkids to treat them, when they are all parents. If we do it right, we can only hope they'll model their parenting skills after they way they were raised....unlike some of these people who raise their kids totally opposite of the way THEY were raised, in hopes their kids will turn out better than they did!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Gosh, maybe it's all in our heads....perhaps our children are simply brainwashed....not good kids who have respect for authority and others in general. After all, they're not allowed to run the house, yell at us, live with us for free forever, and abuse us. Personally, I raise my kids to treat me the way I want my grandkids to treat them, when they are all parents. If we do it right, we can only hope they'll model their parenting skills after they way they were raised....unlike some of these people who raise their kids totally opposite of the way THEY were raised, in hopes their kids will turn out better than they did!
Funny, I was so proud when my son was recruited back to where he got his Undergrad for a job. The youngest ever to be hired to work in his capacity. He carried himself so well and was such a nice young man, they had faith in him and he has rewarded their decision tenfold. Guess I was wrong to be so tough on him and teach him respect. Silly me.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM

318 posts, read 870,632 times
I'm not reading through everything here, so I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but check the eviction laws in your state. In many states, once someone of legal age has been living with you for a certain number of days, you have to go through the eviction process. Odds are, if this kid is sticking around he probably wouldn't know his "rights" anyway, but I'd suggest you just make sure what you're doing is legal before you do it. Nevertheless, good luck! I only wish my grandma had the courage, or even the desire, to do this to my parents and brother.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Actually yeah because i would have a. called the police and b. taken my mother to small claims court....or smashed her tv . Very Very mature of you btw.
And I would have gotten knocked out w/ the phone had I attempted to call the cops over this matter.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I told my father to kiss my ass when he insinuated that I was smoking pot because I was so tired. Nevermind I was 14 years old, going to school and working 5 nights a week to help support the family.

Sorry just being a parent doesn't confer some magical bubble where you can't be told you're an ass.
Had I told my dad that, I wouldn't have any teeth in my mouth. You are right that it doesn't hold you to some magical bubble, but at 14, that just doesn't fly. (atleast I wouldn't have w/ my parents).

Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM

I also live w/ my parents, I don't pay rent, but I do contribute groceries to the house. In this economy, alot of ppl are being delayed on moving out.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I also live w/ my parents, I don't pay rent, but I do contribute groceries to the house. In this economy, alot of ppl are being delayed on moving out.
Let me be clear, I have zero problem with a struggling adult child living with their parents to get back on their feet, particularly in this economy. I would just simply not allow a child over the age of 18 who was not furthering their education to live in my house unemployed or not very actively seeking employment. Laziness would never cut it.

I would never turn my kids away if they needed help, not ever. I would not, however, allow them to still act like teenagers and think the free ride can continue. And I certainly would not still be doing their laundry and such.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Let me be clear, I have zero problem with a struggling adult child living with their parents to get back on their feet, particularly in this economy. I would just simply not allow a child over the age of 18 who was not furthering their education to live in my house unemployed or not very actively seeking employment. Laziness would never cut it.

I would never turn my kids away if they needed help, not ever. I would not, however, allow them to still act like teenagers and think the free ride can continue. And I certainly would not still be doing their laundry and such.
Thanks for clearing that up Now I see what you mean. Trust me, the last thing I am is lazy. I wash my own clothes, I wash dishes, and I contribute some of the groceries. I'm currently working on my masters, and trying to get in w/ a state agency(My bachelor's degree was in sociology), but right now I'm simply doing part time work studies w/ adult education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting