Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Wow, way to make a sweeping generalization there! Simply owning a pool does NOT make someone an irresponsible parent, any more than owning a car or owning a gun or owning a horse or owning a dog...et cetera et cetera...
He is just copying a post about gun deaths and switching it to pools being dangerous (word for word) and my comments on guns being dangerous and irresponsible people not properly locking up their guns and comparing it to swimming pool deaths.

Kids should not be left alone with Guns or in swimming pools or not be in properly restrained.
It is called ADULT SUPERVISION for a reason.

Here is a helpful hint OP: Usually being a smartass means you are trying to be funny, but there is no humor in these childrens deaths.

I will post what my thoughts are once again.

This is what is comes down to.

What is the main purpose of a swimming pool? To get wet and swim in it.

What is the main purpose of a car? To get you from point A to point B.

What is the main purpose of a gun? To shoot things that are alive (the skeet shooting population is minimal at best). Animals? Sure. People? Yep. Some even have a gun for their job and that is ok too.

What happens when you shoot something? It gets hurt and maybe even dies.

So we know that the main purpose of guns is to hurt another person or animal, for whatever reason (self defense, passion killing, eating, payback, etc...)

This is what makes it different than any other type of injury caused to children. People have guns for essentially one purpose only. To inflict harm on someone else if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times
Thank to whoever gave me the rep point for being an "overprotective, homeschooling mom " !!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Yeah, I can actually do that because I homeschool. Now before you go off making any judgements on me, let me explain to you that, I do not want to be crying and heartbroken over a situation that I could have had some control over, and prevented. Even when my kid is thirteen he won't be left alone anywhere, there are too many evil people, and too many bad circumstances that could happen. If you disagree that's fine.
I kind of do and kind of don't. I think a good parent should keep tabs on their kid yes. However, you can also be too smothering. Kids need to learn independence and mommy hanging onto her little boy even when he's a teenager is a bit too much. As a parent, you just have to choose the appropriate times to let them have a little independence.

Now, if you want to bring your plan for his life into utter fruition, start looking for his future wife now. Make sure she's just like you, and that his first romantic experiences are with her. Work together with her on the change in command, so that when he marries her he will utterly obey her as well. That way your plan for him will be complete, and you can feel happy that you and your future daughter in law can completely make him into a Mr. Milktoast. *wink*

Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I kind of do and kind of don't. I think a good parent should keep tabs on their kid yes. However, you can also be too smothering. Kids need to learn independence and mommy hanging onto her little boy even when he's a teenager is a bit too much. As a parent, you just have to choose the appropriate times to let them have a little independence.

Now, if you want to bring your plan for his life into utter fruition, start looking for his future wife now. Make sure she's just like you, and that his first romantic experiences are with her. Work together with her on the change in command, so that when he marries her he will utterly obey her as well. That way your plan for him will be complete, and you can feel happy that you and your future daughter in law can completely make him into a Mr. Milktoast. *wink*
Sorry, but you're waaaay off lady !

You probably have a pool don't you, and you let your kid and all his/her little friends swim in it without adult supervision, while you're out getting a pedicure...tsk..tsk..shame on you..bad mom award !

Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

I will post what my thoughts are once again.

This is what is comes down to.

What is the main purpose of a swimming pool? To get wet and swim in it.

What is the main purpose of a car? To get you from point A to point B.

What is the main purpose of a gun? To shoot things that are alive (the skeet shooting population is minimal at best). Animals? Sure. People? Yep. Some even have a gun for their job and that is ok too.

What happens when you shoot something? It gets hurt and maybe even dies.

So we know that the main purpose of guns is to hurt another person or animal, for whatever reason (self defense, passion killing, eating, payback, etc...)

This is what makes it different than any other type of injury caused to children. People have guns for essentially one purpose only. To inflict harm on someone else if needed.
No humor intended in this thread and any insensitivity inherent to it pales by comparison with what I have read in the recent "gun" threads.

I have to acknowledge that guns do have a qualitatively different function than other ubiquitous tools. I follow that reasoning. Further, the only reason firearms survived past the infancy stage of development was because they had enormous potential for military applications. Until the development of rifles, guns really had very limited usefulness apart from Napoleonic warfare (i.e., there's nothing you can do with a musket that you can't do better with a bow, perhaps with the exception of massed infantry firing lines). Alas I digress...

The problem that I see with your reasoning is that a child who died of gunshot wounds is just as dead as a child who drowned, a child who was killed in a vehicle accident, a child who was mauled to death by a vicious dog, a child who ingested poison, etc. etc. and ANY parent of a child who died a preventable or negligent death is just as bereaved.

Also, in a matter of seconds I (or any knowledgeable gun owner) can render any firearm in my home completely inert and completely childproof.

I don't know of any procedure to render a car or, more to the point, the cars around you (which are intended to simply get you from point A to point B) completely inert or any pool (which is intended to simply enjoy bathing in) completely childproof.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 11-11-2008 at 11:56 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
I just cannot believe that I survived to have my own kids!!! I always had a pool in the backyard when I was growing up and if pools kill people then I am really lucky!!! Wow, I even swam in the back when I was 8 and 9 years old all by myself!!! I can't believe it! My parents were such horrible awful parents!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 AM

841 posts, read 4,840,288 times
Wow, I can't believe I survived my teenage years with a pool in our backyard! When I was the very young tender ages of 14-18 I used to swim in the pool with my friend and even dive off the diving board! My mom was in the kitchen cooking dinner most of the time. She actually trusted her teenage daughter and her friend to make healthy and right decisions. What an awful mother!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Sorry, but you're waaaay off lady !

You probably have a pool don't you, and you let your kid and all his/her little friends swim in it without adult supervision, while you're out getting a pedicure...tsk..tsk..shame on you..bad mom award !
God that reminds me...I DO need that pedicure this week. :P I hope the kids don't drown while I'm gone; it's so much work disposing of unwanted bodies...

(Nice to see ya recognized my weird sense of humor! Hurray!)

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
The article is lacking in all details.
We don't know if the child was left unattended, if a lifeguard failed to revive her, if she had some medical problem...
Really amazing that we have 4 pages of sweeping judgements with so little actual information.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Actually, I think it's amazing that there are four pages at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting