Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Pot. Kettle. Black.

You got me wrong alice,

We have been round and round about vaccines, homeschooling, breastfeeding, parents who work.

You seem to never understand the other persons perspective and are adamant that you are ALWAYS correct, where as I just stated I think parents should do what they are comfortable with. As long as the kids aren't in danger, do what you want.

Do you feel the same?

You seem to have a hard time with any of us who disagree with you as if you know more than we do. You made different choices than some of us. You seem to think this makes you better.. I disagree with your choices but since I am not in your family I really don't have to care about you or your children.

Best of luck.
I agree here. There is a lot of attitude that some are so much better at everything, smarter and anyone else, and higher up on the ladder when it comes to parenting here on this site. No one else's opinion really counts to a select few, because they know it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 01:30 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
A few posters on here are so sure of themselves never having made a wrong decision in their life, why on earth would they need or want my compassion or empathy? They clearly are very happy with their chocies so there is no reason for any of us to worry about them.

My mother in law used to play with balls of mercury in her hand and she has no issues from it as of yet. We used mercury thermometers and no issues from it. The damage is not caused from just one thing.

We used to have lead Paint on the walls, and Lead painted China dishes(terrible).
Now we have Formaldehyde in cribs? Carcinogenic Cribs and Changing Tables? | Healthy Child Healthy World You don't think that **** affects children?

Baby bottles are dangerous? Toxic Baby Bottles - Environment California

We don't know which combo sets off the reactions, the child and his exposure to other toxins are the variables. The vaccine is the same for ALL Children.

It is the accumulation of ALL SORTS of things in the environment and food supply that affect us and determine our reactions as well as our own individual chemical makeup.
I played with mercury out of broken thermometers as well. My sister and I loved seeing how it acted on a flat surface. Our house had lead paint in it as well, and gosh, we all lived and went on to careers. There are five of us. Go figure.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of thinking you are all doctors and can outperform any one of them when it comes to research and knowledge, you should check out your cabinets and soap dispensers. I have always believed, and it was verified earlier, that all the cleaners and anti-bacterial soaps interfere with a lot of things in the body systems. Maybe you should check it out.

While you are all so very worried about immunizations, you are poisoning your children with the cleaners and anti-bacterial products you use. Odd.

Oh, and check into what all the sunscreen and lotions do while you're at it. All those chemicals soak into the fragile skin of your kids.

But then again, some of you know more than doctors do and are so very certain it is the immunizations that are creating the problems. Just keep thinking that when all the childhood illnesses return and kids die from them like they used to.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
I'd NEVER thought, EVER, that by asking my ped a few basic questions based on some research I did after reading some of these posts that I'd hear what I did.

My pediatrican does not push immunizations, flu shot or HPV along with the other new 15 vaccines that are currently seeking approval from the FDA. 15! I never knew her take on immunizations b/c as she stated "You never asked." We had a 25 min conversation on immunizations & vacinnes this morning at my son's checkup. She then got into the $$ aspect with pharmacuetical companies. My ped was MY ped & now my children's..she's been practicing for 42 years & her take on this subject really opened my eyes b/c it brought to my attention that this stuff HAS TO BE RESEARCHED & DISCUSSED.

While some on here do have a very, well, "interesting" way of presenting their info, they got ME thinking & I turn starting asking those around me who in turn started sending me info they found....

WHATEVER your take...don't be a herd of cattle just going through the motions b/c you've been told to...research & ask questions. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!

Respect one another but listen. All the bickering aside & a post a few weeks ago about immunizations really got me thinking on this subject & personally talking to those I trust.

Not all children are the same & this is YOUR child. Do your homework on these issues.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
121804 - That is my point. Educate yourself and never take the doctors word as gospel.
You are fortunate to have a pediatrician such as you do. There should be more like that.

As for those who think some know more - nope - just take the time to educate ourselves. Would you take a little pink polkadot pill from your doctor without knowing what was in it if he said he thought it was safe and may save your life? Not me. I would want to know what it was what was in it and what I REALLY needed it for. Then I would have to think about it and check it out for myself.

As far as playing with mercury - did you guys swallow it or inject yourself with it repeatedly over a period of months? What about the household chemicals. Did you drink those? And how can you assume those of us who question vaccines are not just as careful about everything else? I use a steam mop with distilled water, baking soda, and the baby has never had anything but organic food. BUT that is me. I treated myself this way when I was pregnant - why would I change now? I have lived this way for years - after I developed Fibromyalgia and realized the connection between the tainted food supply and chemical exposure.

I do not claim to know more than doctors, but I can tell you I have presented material to my OB on more than one occasion, and the blank look was enough to tell me she had no idea. She quickly chaged her tune and stopped pushing the drugs I was refusing to take.

Soooo...I can say there is one thing I agree with you guys on - the overuse of anti-bacterial cleansers. It has produced an effect making our bodies more suceptible to illnesses because they have not learned to fight them off naturally. Same case with over use of anti-biotics (prescribed by doctors, BTW). Using Anti-B's when it is not called for, or over use has put our bodies in a situation that when we really need them - they do not work. It has produced super starins of bacteria that cannot be easliy defeated with meds we have now. This is one reason the ingredients to the flu shot change yearly - the 'bugs' are learning to adabt to the meds and vaccines used to fight them.

You are also correct about the absorption of chemicals into our skin with sunscreen, etc.

Catch 22 -not only are we soaking up chemicals, but we are blocking Vitamin D, essential to the body function. Because of the skin cancer scare, people cover up, slather on the lotion, and hurt themselves both ways. Moderation is the key - and a little googling will make you aware of natural sunscreens which do not contain the chemicals. Almost every product on the market today for anything imaginable can be found in a safe product - if you do a little research.

Education, guys. That's the key to it all. I don't think I am better than anyone - I just want everyone to know they have alternatives. All things are not set in stone.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I played with mercury out of broken thermometers as well. My sister and I loved seeing how it acted on a flat surface. Our house had lead paint in it as well, and gosh, we all lived and went on to careers. There are five of us. Go figure.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of thinking you are all doctors and can outperform any one of them when it comes to research and knowledge, you should check out your cabinets and soap dispensers. I have always believed, and it was verified earlier, that all the cleaners and anti-bacterial soaps interfere with a lot of things in the body systems. Maybe you should check it out.

While you are all so very worried about immunizations, you are poisoning your children with the cleaners and anti-bacterial products you use. Odd.

Oh, and check into what all the sunscreen and lotions do while you're at it. All those chemicals soak into the fragile skin of your kids.

But then again, some of you know more than doctors do and are so very certain it is the immunizations that are creating the problems. Just keep thinking that when all the childhood illnesses return and kids die from them like they used to.
I think it's safe to say that most parents who don't vaccinate for the reason that their research told them that it wasn't safe, probably also have researched other things and live accordingly. I know that I personally don't use commercial cleansers in my home and use sunscreen sparingly on my children and myself. We don't use antibacterial products. We strive to buy organic foods. We eschew amalgam fillings at the dentist, breastfeed, and avoid partially hydrogenated anything and corn syrup.

I think that in general, once folks stop trusting the FDA, they also really look closely into just what else out there is not safe. Not everyone, of course, but many.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post

I

Soooo...I can say there is one thing I agree with you guys on - the overuse of anti-bacterial cleansers. It has produced an effect making our bodies more suceptible to illnesses because they have not learned to fight them off naturally. Same case with over use of anti-biotics (prescribed by doctors, BTW). Using Anti-B's when it is not called for, or over use has put our bodies in a situation that when we really need them - they do not work. It has produced super starins of bacteria that cannot be easliy defeated with meds we have now. This is one reason the ingredients to the flu shot change yearly - the 'bugs' are learning to adabt to the meds and vaccines used to fight them.

You are also correct about the absorption of chemicals into our skin with sunscreen, etc.

Education, guys. That's the key to it all. I don't think I am better than anyone - I just want everyone to know they have alternatives. All things are not set in stone.
NINE years ago I tried fighting that to be allowed in my classroom or on my class supply list. All hell broke loose when a few parents heard & I was told by my principal that I was not allowed to keep students from using antibacterial handsoap when they wanted. I taught middle school...are you aware how many times a minute they applied that stuff? Not only was it annoying & disruptive (yes, applying glitter anti-b soap & passing it around is disruptive), it wasn't healthy.

My pediatrican is not the know all nor am I nor is anyone else. To take anyone's word to the literal extreme is dangerous. I just started to feel like I was making blind decisions based on what everyone else was doing. I've never been a person to feel comfortable following the masses, so it was many combinations of things that started me to evaluate how I am going to raise my children.

Know what you are putting into your child's body. Vaccinate them. Don't vaccinate them. Just be educated on the decision you choose for the sake of your child.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I think that in general, once folks stop trusting the FDA, they also really look closely into just what else out there is not safe. Not everyone, of course, but many.
Who keeps the FDA in business?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:11 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
I always think of the PROBABLE side effects from vaccines verses contracting the disease. A sore arm or a fever is a drop in the bucket to an infant that contracts Pertusis. That is fatal to infants. I just don't see the justification. The pain infants suffer from Pertusis is an understatement. I will gladly take the slight sore injection site over the disease anyday.

Mercury is not in vaccines at this point in time (with the acception of some flu vaxes)...It is time to pick another ingredient that you think is harmful.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Mercury is not in vaccines at this point in time (with the acception of some flu vaxes)...It is time to pick another ingredient that you think is harmful.
aluminum, msg, thermisol, formaldehyde, chicken embryo, human cells from aborted fetal tissue....

Vaccine Ingredients

Old 11-14-2008, 07:40 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
aluminum, msg, thermisol, formaldehyde, chicken embryo, human cells from aborted fetal tissue....

Vaccine Ingredients

I don't know what that link is too...but I like to read the ingredients of the vaccine from the maker.
Thermisol is not in vaccines anymore. It was removed in the 90's.
Again, inject a MINUTE amount of ingredients that usually have no negative effects at all or risk getting the disease.

Minor side effects verses contracting the disease. That is the choice. Plain and simple.

Can you show me some documentation that people have reacted badly to 'chicken embryo'? I am talking about a reaction just as bad or worse then contracting the specific disease itself...

Side effects from the vaccine:
Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Side Effects

Symptoms of the disease:
Paroxysms. The worst part of the illness lasts from 1 to 6 weeks. Spasms or attacks of coughing may come up to 15 times per day. Sometimes, especially in children, the cough is followed by a "whoop" noise as they breathe in rapidly, attempting to get air. Even so, young infants will often turn blue with the spells from lack of oxygen. The coughing spasms can make it difficult to eat, drink, or breathe. The mucus is often thick and sticky. Gagging, choking, and vomiting are common. Sometimes young infants will stop breathing for varying lengths of time between coughing spasms.
Pertussis ( Whooping cough ) - DrGreene.com

I think I will take the sore arm over the 6 weeks of painful coughing spasms that turn my child blue...and could kill her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting