Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times

Advertisements

Heres the thing, we have a 9yo with a serious emotional disorder, she will go from being perfectly fine to throwing a full tantrum at the drop of a hat, and there is no reasoning with her, my brother can get out of a stroller even when buckled in. If my mom has to focus on the 9yo to try to calm her down so that she doesn't hurt herself, my brother could disappear in moments. Vs. if he has the harness on my mom or I can keep him close but still have our hands free.

By only real issue is when people assuming that using a leash mean that the parent is a bad parent when that is not usually the case. I've seen real bad parenting and a harness is just not it to me. If you don't like the harness that is fine, like I said what works for some does not work for others, just don't assume that you know what that parents, parenting ability is, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
Heres the thing, we have a 9yo with a serious emotional disorder, she will go from being perfectly fine to throwing a full tantrum at the drop of a hat, and there is no reasoning with her, my brother can get out of a stroller even when buckled in. If my mom has to focus on the 9yo to try to calm her down so that she doesn't hurt herself, my brother could disappear in moments. Vs. if he has the harness on my mom or I can keep him close but still have our hands free.

By only real issue is when people assuming that using a leash mean that the parent is a bad parent when that is not usually the case. I've seen real bad parenting and a harness is just not it to me. If you don't like the harness that is fine, like I said what works for some does not work for others, just don't assume that you know what that parents, parenting ability is, please.
I think there are better options. And at 9yo, I don't know if tethering a child to a leash is aiding in any progress. I only taught special ed and worked with social workers and psychs... I know people try their best and do what they feel is best.... but there I feel there are much better options than leashing children.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post

Ok, I am going to go out on a limb here...what about infants and toddlers who sleep in a crib...

Aren't they being kept/caged like "animals" behind bars for safety reasons?
I think you are comparing an apple to an orange here. I don't know if the leash is used for safety reason unless you have a special need child like my friend with an autistic boy. Mostly I think it's used for convenience. JMHO.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times
We don't put the leash on the 9 yo. It's on the 3yo, and honestly I consider it more as a harness than a leash.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Wow... never once did I ever say anything about beating children.... talk about putting nasty words into peoples mouths. Seriously? Holy Cow! Where did you get that? You might want to reread my posts if you want to learn about my own children and family members and handicapped situations and sped children... 'k?
I never read any of your posts before this one. I was simply giving my views on this issue in response to what I've seen others do in public and how others responded.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
We don't put the leash on the 9 yo. It's on the 3yo, and honestly I consider it more as a harness than a leash.
A harness is just like a backpack without the pack. The leash is the cord you attach to it. You can detach the leash. It is in two pc, correct? They are not one in the same.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
I'm surprised skbs that as such a successful parent you haven't learned to be judge less. Really one of the first things I really truly learned as a mom is that every child and every situation is different. Supporting others parenting decisions, as long as they are safe, is the kind and moral thing to do, that's the kind of example I try to set for my children.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I'm surprised skbs that as such a successful parent you haven't learned to be judge less. Really one of the first things I really truly learned as a mom is that every child and every situation is different. Supporting others parenting decisions, as long as they are safe, is the kind and moral thing to do, that's the kind of example I try to set for my children.
I find being tied up to a leash inhumane. I think it is simply wrong. Degrading. You tie an animal to a leash, not your child. I am sorry if you all think I am evil for this belief. I think the leash should be taken off the market.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Parents who don't pay close enough attention. So, yes, people CAN take a backset when they do things.
Yeah like when they lock their child in the stroller ALL THE TIME instead of letting their children walk around (even on a leash). I find the stroller more of the liking of a lazy parent. I am surprised some of these kids know how to walk they are carted around so much by a stroller.

Quote:
hugged and cared for in the loving arms of a parent..... as it should be.
So what do you suggest a pregnant mother do when she has been told to NOT carry more than 10 lbs or it will compromise the current pregnancy- which therefore means no picking up the 2 yr old? She cannot pick up a stroller out of the trunk, what is this parent to do?? Hmm? Let the child run loose? Risk them running into traffic or getting snatched by a stranger because she obviously won't be able to outrun the kid at 8 months pregnant.

Yeah- this is why you don't judge others and make blanket statements. You have no idea what these people's reasons are for needing a leash for the child. Maybe they have injuries that are not visible but prevent them from CHASING their wild children around. But i assure you- it is always for the safety of the child. Leashes are not easy. They are hard to manuever, making sure you dont trip everyone or yourself, but they are worth it.

Why are you so judgemental? You certainly are not a perfect parent. You spend WAY to much time online here arguing with us rather than paying attention to your children to claim to be the perfect parent.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
I find being tied up to a leash inhumane. I think it is simply wrong. Degrading. You tie an animal to a leash, not your child. I am sorry if you all think I am evil for this belief. I think the leash should be taken off the market.
You could have a point here. So, it's safe to say then, that tying them up and strapping them down in a car seat like some out of control mental patient is inhumane too then. Seriously, explain the difference there. Both the harness and the many straps of the car seat are to keep the child from harm so what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting